Danal advice. River Trent section

canals are us?

Featured Posts

Well I have now reached Fradley junction this afternoon on my first journey in my narrowboat and single handing, and so far I have enjoyed the trip taking a leisurely journey from Norbury Junction. Left Boxing Day :cheers: . The weather has been grim though :blink:

Just got the last 5 miles to Barton Turns Marina from Fradley Junction and looked at the Canal plan and Google maps/ariel view and pictures online, has anyone any advice crossing the Trent sections at Wychnor etc, particulary as the Trent is in flood? Starting out tomorrow.

Has anyone crossed the river sections recently have any advice? Thinking keep well left of the barrage :cheers:

Happy New Year :cheers:

Ps should read Canal Advice!! Should type with the lights on :blush:

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

It's normally a doddle.

I take it you are at or near Wychor lock now. As you approached there will have been signs indicating whether the river sections were open or closed - what did they say?? that is a good indication.

River side of the lock is an indicator board. if this is in the red. Do not enter the lock.

If it is in amber proceed with caution - the flow is to the left as you leave the lock. In the green is fine.

The flow is to left again as you approach Alrewas lock - the weir is easily spotted and easily avoided.

- the wind can be a barsteward at Alrewas lock pinning you on the lock landing.

Overall it's fine though and easy to navigate.

Moor at Alrewas and walk down the section on the path over the bridges. The lock landing can be a swine if in flow, if your mooring up single handed so please take care as we dont want you heading down the weir.

Hi James

Had a walk at Alrewas last week, the Trent was very high and the locks leading onto it from the T&M were padlocked anyway.

The EA website shows the level of the Trent is falling but still looks too high to cross safetly at the moment.

IMO you're probably best to moor up at Alrewas until the levels have dropped. There's dry weather forecast for the next few days so the Trent level should drop further and may allow passage then.

Graham.

PS. that title could have been far worse than 'Danal advice' ;-)

I'm currently at Fradley junction. I will moor at Alrewas and see what the boards say etc. I'm not taking any chances and will wait until safe :cheers: Wouldn't the locks being closed not come under the stopages info?

Thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

I think the stoppages usually declared are planned stoppages for maintenance work.

When rivers are in flood then navigations have to be closed for safety reasons.

A couple of years ago I took my boat from Braunston to Mercia on my own and passed over the same stretch for the first time. Conditions were much more stable then.

i wouldn't cross it just off the red single handed as you will have a job getting off the lock landing as the first tributary will be running fast, we came up earlier this year just off red and even though we stayed to the right hand side we were pushed over to the left and only just made it, just be careful.

We were at Alrewas on Friday and the lock was padlocked with level near the top of the red.

Once the level drops and the gates are unlocked, it will not be a difficult passage since you are going in the easier direction. The main current comes in from the left after 100yds or so, and exits on the right over the weir. Therefore keep well over to the left after the bend, to avoid getting close to the weir. It is a short passage and it will all be over in a couple of minutes -once past the weir there is little current for the remainder of the trip to the lock. There is a funny bridge on the approach to the wychnor moorings - you have to keep hard left at the bridge and it can be a bit awkward if you are not expecting it. I don't think headroom is an issue there but as a general point, with any river in flood, you should not assume that you will fit under a bridge! After that Barton is just a slightly tedious and noisy long straight away!

We were at Alrewas on Friday and the lock was padlocked with level near the top of the red.

Once the level drops and the gates are unlocked, it will not be a difficult passage since you are going in the easier direction. The main current comes in from the left after 100yds or so, and exits on the right over the weir. Therefore keep well over to the left after the bend, to avoid getting close to the weir. It is a short passage and it will all be over in a couple of minutes -once past the weir there is little current for the remainder of the trip to the lock. There is a funny bridge on the approach to the wychnor moorings - you have to keep hard left at the bridge and it can be a bit awkward if you are not expecting it. I don't think headroom is an issue there but as a general point, with any river in flood, you should not assume that you will fit under a bridge! After that Barton is just a slightly tedious and noisy long straight away!

Everything he said,take care and enjoy.

All good advice.....Callisto the coal boat could not pass thru yesterday as the Trent was still well up. Give us a toot as you pass the Hunts lock moornings. We are Percy fourth boat down. Alrewas is not a bad place at all to sit out the Trent dropping

Take care

Nev

Edited by Nev

Great video Bloomsberry.

Agree with all of above. Especially about waiting. We are waiting for the Trent to go down at Derwent mouth. Didn't check yesterday, rather too much rain again but could actually see the flood marker on Sunday which is progress in the right direction. Trent flowing very fast still at Trent Junction and through Nottingham.

There are yellow boards at the junction lock in Fradley and just before the winding hole in Alrewas that tell you the state of the Trent, I don't know how often they are changed but we have always found them accurate. I have never seen mention of the Trent being shut at Alrewas on the stoppages notices though they do usually mention when the flood gates are shut at Sawley and Cranfleet, those aren't necessarily up to date though.

One final point, it is good boating to recognise that it is more difficult to stay in control of a boat going with the flow than against it. Crossing from Alrewas to Wychnor you are going against the flow, so if you see a boat approaching the bridge near the moorings you should be prepared to hang back. I'm not sure how many people observe this though.

Oh and let us know how you get on.

. Crossing from Alrewas to Wychnor you are going against the flow, so if you see a boat approaching the bridge near the moorings you should be prepared to hang back. I'm not sure how many people observe this though.

I think you'll find you are going with the flow.

Tony

I don't usually do this! I have to correct my wife! Possibly not the best start to the New Year!

Going Alrewas to Wichnor is with the flow, so boats coming towards you, ie upstream, should give way to you if need be.

I would add that it is always reckoned it is safer going upstream as long as your boat has the power to cope against the flow. Going down you need to be travelling faster than the flow to have any steerage, and so end up travelling faster. This gives you much less time & space for any maneuvering.

I don't usually do this! I have to correct my wife! Possibly not the best start to the New Year!

Going Alrewas to Wichnor is with the flow, so boats coming towards you, ie upstream, should give way to you if need be.

I would add that it is always reckoned it is safer going upstream as long as your boat has the power to cope against the flow. Going down you need to be travelling faster than the flow to have any steerage, and so end up travelling faster. This gives you much less time & space for any maneuvering.

Ah! How embarrassing. Maybe I drank more than I thought last night. Definitely not a good start to the year. It's Ok though Trackman is always right when it 's to do with boating. Except when he's wrong

Do i remember there being some posts in the bed of the canal by the Bridge near the permanent moorings or am i thinking of a different section

I can't say we ever noticed any there.

The bridge is a bit of a tight squeeze and a 'wiggle' but I don't recall seeing posts there - but maybe I've missed them (literally of course too!)

Do i remember there being some posts in the bed of the canal by the Bridge near the permanent moorings or am i thinking of a different section

There are submerged posts under the bridge in the central channel under the footbridge, hence the need to wiggle through the channel adjacent to the towpath.

There are also submerged posts on the weir side of the river (on the right coming from Alrewas to Wychnor) just after the weir; it is advisableto keep near the left despite the sharp bend.

I've never understood why these haven't been marked.

There are yellow boards at the junction lock in Fradley and just before the winding hole in Alrewas that tell you the state of the Trent, I don't know how often they are changed but we have always found them accurate. I have never seen mention of the Trent being shut at Alrewas on the stoppages notices though they do usually mention when the flood gates are shut at Sawley and Cranfleet, those aren't necessarily up to date though.

They never seem to bother with a stoppage notice, but often tweet when Alrewas section is closed.

Hi everyone and Happy New Year :cheers:

Well I decided to get too Alrewas and moor to see the situation, which I have, but at the lock before the river lock, I'll moor further down tomorrow.

Well the trent is right up 8 inches from the top of the red board :angry: So, no moving until the river goes down and the canal lock is unlocked. The water was level with the lower lock mooring rings/wall.

I went for a walk all the way along and chatting to people viewing the river and walking the path. The bridge at the end certainly looks narrow and there are apparently old posts sticking up under the waters surface to the right side/infront of the bridge :mellow:

I will let you know when I'm across safely, hopefully in less than a week :unsure:

Thanks everyone, great video.

Edited by canals are us?

Further upstream at Kings Bromley the river Trent has been steadily rising all day.

All this will be flowing down towards you so I would expect the river level at Alrewas to rise before it falls again.

It may be a while yet before the Trent is navigable.

Link to River Level at Kings Bromley

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120749.aspx?stationId=2104

Graham.

Trent at Derwent mouth at same level as Sunday, can see a little of the red. Sounds as though will be higher tomorrow. Not surprised after Monday's rain. Soar appeared to be down at Ratcliffe lock as whizzed by in car, though imagine still well in red.

Soar has fallen at Sileby over the last couple of days. It is still flowing very fast and has a lot of debris in it. We need a week of dry weather for it to settle down and all the water currently lying in the flood plain to drain away.