Kelvin refused to start

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

For the first time in nearly fifteen years my Kelvin K2 refused to start at the weekend.

Part of this was my fault because I tried to start it with the engine in gear which hammered the already under charged starter battery.

Usually it starts without a fuss with the thermostart. No luck this time. Over to plan B - which is to use the magneto and petrol start. It fired up straight away on petrol, but refused to fire on diesel. I did notice lots of bubbles where the return pipe from the injectors enters the governor. I suspect that I've got air in the fuel lines somewhere. This usually clears when the engine is turning over on petrol but this time it didn't.

Hey ho. I'll investigate when the starter batteries are fully charged.

Schadenfreude from Gardner, Ruston, JP and Dorman owning fellow-moorers was much in evidence!

Edited by koukouvagia

Yes this points firmly to a fuel problem. Mine did this to me on the other day too, but I was using a blowlamp, not having a thermostart.

I manually bled some air from the fuel line using the thumbscrew on the brass accumulator thing and it was fine after. I never found out why it happened, and it has not happened since.

MtB

Schadenfreude from Gardner, Ruston, JP and Dorman owning fellow-moorers was much in evidence!

'Scuse me..... My HA always starts first time on the button too!

You can always tow "Owl" with "Hampton", if that has the more reliable type of engine, of course. :lol:

For the first time in nearly fifteen years my Kelvin K2 refused to start at the weekend.

Part of this was my fault because I tried to start it with the engine in gear which hammered the already under charged starter battery.

Usually it starts without a fuss with the thermostart. No luck this time. Over to plan B - which is to use the magneto and petrol start. It fired up straight away on petrol, but refused to fire on diesel. I did notice lots of bubbles where the return pipe from the injectors enters the governor. I suspect that I've got air in the fuel lines somewhere. This usually clears when the engine is turning over on petrol but this time it didn't.

Glad to see none from any RN's. We don't do things like that.

Could this be a case of "waxy diesel" - summer fuel?

One hears claims of refineries adding some form of snake oil to their tank washings to make it flow in the winter. But I've never heard of anyone suffering from it.

Thus, it would be nice to know if there was ultimately some truth in my (uninformed) diagnosis.

Doom, Doom, could be a Diesel Bug blockage instead??

Could this be a case of "waxy diesel" - summer fuel?

One hears claims of refineries adding some form of snake oil to their tank washings to make it flow in the winter. But I've never heard of anyone suffering from it.

Thus, it would be nice to know if there was ultimately some truth in my (uninformed) diagnosis.

Doom, Doom, could be a Diesel Bug blockage instead??

I don't think there's anything wrong with the diesel, because I can see what it looks like when the surplus is bypassed from the injectors into the top of the governor. Thanks anyway.

As Sherlock Holmes said, "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

I have an utterly reliable JP3 which I could offer in part exchange ;)