Continuous Cruising/Mooring

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

Cruising around the shroppie, s&w, t&m, coventry, north oxford, north stratford and GU since the end of October, I can say that there have been no congestion issues, visitor moorings have been mostly empty or sparsely moored on, and it has been lovely cruising.

Therefore, i believe the problems lie in the minds of the occasional cruisers (OC), holiday cruisers (HC), paid our moorings and jealous of c-cers(POMAJOCC) and obviously those suffering from cabin or office fever.(COOF).

However, I would never be one to typecast people.

Hear hear.Perhaps if you informed CART the type of boater subcategory you most relate to with your licence renewal new stickers could be issued to reduce confusion.

Some more suggestions.........

PMVATBACC Permanent Moorer Vaguely Aspiring to Be a Continuous Cruiser

OTCCTAROAPM One Time Continous Cruiser Temporarily and Reluctanty on a Permanent Mooring

CCWRHMNONTO Continuous Cruiser with Retained Home Mooring Neither One Nor the Other

BTSRTBC Boater that Steadfastly Refuses to Be categorized

Hear hear.Perhaps if you informed CART the type of boater subcategory you most relate to with your licence renewal new stickers could be issued to reduce confusion.
Some more suggestions.........

PMVATBACC Permanent Moorer Vaguely Aspiring to Be a Continuous Cruiser
OTCCTAROAPM One Time Continous Cruiser Temporarily and Reluctanty on a Permanent Mooring
CCWRHMNONTO Continuous Cruiser with Retained Home Mooring Neither One Nor the Other
BTSRTBC Boater that Steadfastly Refuses to Be categorized

SRTTTTHTRTPO Self Righteous ##### That Thinks They Have The Right To Police Others. Edited by DHutch
langauge
  • Greenie 1

Once again, as in all threads of this nature, we have all put our strong viewpoints forward....and once again....I dont thinks it's gone anywhere. Next time we'll all give our same viewpoints, and once again, it'll probably still get no where. Gotta love it.

I disagree, I understand your resignation, but as I said in an earlier post, when I joined the forum 2 years ago, I wrote posts like montysboat, now I have a much more informed view. There is a better world out there for you montysboat, stick with it.

I think it is one of the strengths of the forum that it rolls on regardless of the obvious trolls and infantile spats, gobbles them up and spits them out. Roll on!

I have now reached Norton Junction, and I think the results I have seen are a testament to the work that the Enforcement teams are putting in on the ground.

There are boats moved now(considerable) distances that have stayed put all year.

There are boats now out in the sticks that previously occupied visitor moorings.

There are visitor moorings strangely empty!!

There are boats on Visitor Moorings being issued with notices swiftly - one boat at Hawkesbury had a notice and he only moved last Saturday - he thought he had 14 days on the Coventry, and 14 days on the North Oxford!!

I can pinpoint the boats which are being targetted for continued non-compliance between Great Haywood and Braunston now on one hand (counting the 5 muppets on Rugby aqueduct as 1).

The enforcement officers are still out there checking, and actively moving people on.(although I had to instruct one on the pleasures of how to use a side pond and what it was for at Atherstone when he offered to lock me through using gate paddles only!!)

It is only by being out and about that you can see the process being enforced actively and effectively.

So don't take the side of the people that do ,that was my only objection .

I didn't take anyone's side at all.

I just wondered why you got so worked up about someone that you felt the need to call them names.

Personally I don't regard overstaying as taking the piss.

I think boaters obstructing VMs, lock landings, water points, bridge holes and the like is taking the piss but I still wouldn't call them names.

I try to get all worked up about stuff but I'm just not very good at it.

Or SRTTTTRDATT Self Righteous Twat That Thinks The Rules Don't Apply To Them. Take your pick I try to avoid them both

Me too, but would rather the be in the company of SRTTTTRDATT than SRTTTTHTRTPO.

(posted from my mooring, BTW)

Your presumption is correct - I actually don't have a particularly strong feelings about CCer's, I don't take a particular interest in what licence category other boaters fit into.

I also don't have an opinion about 'hippies on the K&A' as you call them. It's not a waterway I'm familiar with and although it's often cited as a waterway with a 'problem' of people not moving as they should I don't actually know whether this is correct or not so can't really offer you any meaningful thoughts on the subject.

I am interested to know why your feelings for cc ers are not strong.

I am interested to know why your feelings for cc ers are not strong.

Should they be?

I had strong feelings for a ccer once but they weren't strong enough to stop us continuing our journey in opposite directions.

I believe she has a permanent mooring with someone else now.

Should they be?

I had strong feelings for a ccer once but they weren't strong enough to stop us continuing our journey in opposite directions.

I believe she has a permanent mooring with someone else now.

That ones for dear derdre or i could of said not to worry theres more fish in the sea, i wouldn, t touch anything out of the canal

Edited by lesrollins

OK probably shouldn't post this cos I've had a few sherberts, but what the hell.

We live our lives on the towpath and absolutely love it. We never have mains hookup, our boat doesn't have that capability so that's never been any part of the equation.

We do run a car with the boat, and are always incredibly aware of the annoyance our car nay cause to people. Not necessarily because it's in the way or causing an obstruction (because it never is or does) but just because it's there and they don't know whose it is, and therefore it might belong to someone who might not be paying their way.

So the ideal parking space for the legally taxed and MOT'd car is under a streetlamp, in a quiet residential street, beside a fence or hedge but definitely not in view of someone's house, or in a place where our car could possibly make manoeuvring in our out of their driveway difficult.

We put a lot of time into this stuff. Maybe it should be added to the considerate boaters website :D

OK probably shouldn't post this cos I've had a few sherberts, but what the hell.

We live our lives on the towpath and absolutely love it. We never have mains hookup, our boat doesn't have that capability so that's never been any part of the equation.

We do run a car with the boat, and are always incredibly aware of the annoyance our car nay cause to people. Not necessarily because it's in the way or causing an obstruction (because it never is or does) but just because it's there and they don't know whose it is, and therefore it might belong to someone who might not be paying their way.

So the ideal parking space for the legally taxed and MOT'd car is under a streetlamp, in a quiet residential street, beside a fence or hedge but definitely not in view of someone's house, or in a place where our car could possibly make manoeuvring in our out of their driveway difficult.

We put a lot of time into this stuff. Maybe it should be added to the considerate boaters website :D

We did that for a while, parked on a quiet street away from houses, the neighbourhood watch didnt like it and we had a phonecall from the police, told em we were visiting friends and they said fine no probs, a month later another call from the police saying would you please move it just to stop them complaining as they couldnt do nothing as it was fully legal to park there. Funny bit is if it was a nicer car say a bmw x5 or something we probably wouldnt have had a phonecall, just got judged as being upto something with it not being very nice lol.

Does anyone remember the name of the recent thread where they were discussing CaRT figures for prosecutions for insufficient movement and CaRT statements indicating what they would regard as acceptable distance km a year? It was v useful & I'd like to summarise it for another site. Thanks.

We did that for a while, parked on a quiet street away from houses, the neighbourhood watch didnt like it and we had a phonecall from the police, told em we were visiting friends and they said fine no probs, a month later another call from the police saying would you please move it just to stop them complaining as they couldnt do nothing as it was fully legal to park there. Funny bit is if it was a nicer car say a bmw x5 or something we probably wouldnt have had a phonecall, just got judged as being upto something with it not being very nice lol.

Heidi and I both move cars around with us every two weeks and park in similar places that Ange mentions. One thing we always try to do in addition if we are parking in residential streets is to always park in a different place every evening after work. I've had the odd funny look when parking up but never any complaints.

It's not that the rules are enforced differently.

The fact is that there is a completely different set of rules.

If you tried to juggle between laybys in anything that big then the police would be taking action against you for obstruction of the Highway rather than the Council for illegal encampment.

The way that the decision to take enforcement action is similar, in my experience...Play the game, keep your head down and don't take the piss and you're left alone.

Like the caravan in a layby behind the woods about 7 miles from here. All clean and tidy and been there about a year.