George Clarkes Amazing spaces

Max Sinclair

Featured Posts

I too thought the narrowboat feature was rather naff, but what really upset me was that in the previous week's prog when he was saying what would be on next weeks' he referred to it as a barge !! :o :o :o

Then on the introduction he called it a longboat, but from then on it was always a narrowboat. He got ther in the end I suppose :rolleyes:

What really upsets me is people who don't know that a narrowboat [sic] is a type of barge.

Watched most of the series and found it a pretty mixed bag. Some were practical, ingenious ideas, well thought out and done to a budget (like the beach hut interior and the container garden office, others were just bonkers like the converted coach and some - like Amazing George's caravan and the narrowboat - the result of chucking a lot of money (or, more likely, the prospect of a programme mention) at someone else and getting them to do the work. But generally it was half-decent entertainment and if you came away with the odd idea or bit of inspiration, fair enough.

The really glaring missing trick in the narrowboat story though was the lack of any reference to the traditional back cabin, which has to be one of the most Amazing, Amazing (emphasised by flapping arms) uses of a small space ever devised. I thought that an Amazing Omission.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone watch the recent episode with two brothers restoring a burned out narrowboat? It mentioned that they spent £22k on the repaired shell, which appeared to be a fire damaged wreck full of water and the roof was supported by scaffolding...

Yes I watched it but was not impressed, reckon they'd have been better off with a sailaway. Very sketchy on detail, one minute its a burnt out shell, next its had a full paint job, so much was left for us to speculate on.

I suppose it made good TV for the layman but not for anyone connected to NBs

Phil

I thought the multi-functional Bournemouth beach hut was the best and most innovative of all the things he featured in the series.

But I daresay the real beach hut aficionados thought that the Bournemouth beach hut was a load of pretentious shite... They're probably slagging it off on the beach hut forum now. In fact we've probably got the terminology completely wrong and they're not even called "beach huts" by those in the know.

Edited by blackrose

Yep. I have fitted 3 kids (all with full size mattresses from IKEA), in a space that is 3.5m long, and 2,2m wide (passage is .6m wide which runs down the side). The 2 older kids have a desk in their cabin, a shelf full of games, and a PC. They each have 2 guitars hanging off the wall, a waste bin, a flip down shoe holder thing, clothes stored in boxes under the beds, a TV. The younger has a bunk bed with shelves, his own tv, a dvd player, a WII game, XBox, and a guitar. They seem to enjoy their spaces....so it's been a great success from a design on paper...to an actual build. Not finished though...lots of trimmings needed.

Hi Dean,

everytime I see "Reed my Widebeam Build Blog" underneath your postings, I'm clicking on it to see if you've finally added the pics you promissed.

As I admire the work you did in such a short time to make your boat a comfortable floating home for your familly, I would love to see the progress.

Wednesday, 22 May 2013
Right.....time to update this blog :) (sorry again). I know a blog without pics isn't that great, so I'll do a quick update and then come back with pics in due course.
Hope you'll be able to find a spare moment to update your blog with the pics.
Cheers,
Peter.

Yes I watched it but was not impressed, reckon they'd have been better off with a sailaway. Very sketchy on detail, one minute its a burnt out shell, next its had a full paint job, so much was left for us to speculate on.

I suppose it made good TV for the layman but not for anyone connected to NBs

Phil

Worraripoff! The boatyard saw them coming! Got two friends who renovated burnt out shells. I think they paid £4k and £6k! For £20k they could've bought a brand new shell, what were they thinking?