That is a lot of water

Doug Scullery

Featured Posts

update: I just called my boss to give him a heads up to my possibly not being able to get in tomorrow. He had said (well, the assistant manager said, very apologetically, he didn't have the bottle to speak to me himself) that if I'm off tomorrow it will be treated as an "unauthorised absence which may lead to disciplinary action". He's determined to be a dick about it, I could really use some help with this. Can he really expect me to risk my life to avoid disciplinary action? If I drown trying to get to work can my family sue him?

Your boss's 'assistant' is being governed I suspect by your employers policies, they are both under the cosh for fear of their own jobs.

Bosses who cut their staff a bit of slack and deviate from 'policy' often find themselves under the cosh.

Your boss's 'assistant' is being governed I suspect by your employers policies, they are both under the cosh for fear of their own jobs.

Bosses who cut their staff a bit of slack and deviate from 'policy' often find themselves under the cosh.

Self employment is the way forward, no such phrase then as " The Boss " as you are the boss :cheers:

Tim

update: I just called my boss to give him a heads up to my possibly not being able to get in tomorrow. He had said (well, the assistant manager said, very apologetically, he didn't have the bottle to speak to me himself) that if I'm off tomorrow it will be treated as an "unauthorised absence which may lead to disciplinary action". He's determined to be a dick about it, I could really use some help with this. Can he really expect me to risk my life to avoid disciplinary action? If I drown trying to get to work can my family sue him?

The URL below gives a reasonable outline of what your bosses options are.

http://www.out-law.com/page-10643

I know it deals with snow but it would be reasonable to think it applies in all weather related conditions IMO.

In Newark today the Trent is over the bank north of Town Bridge and about 4" off the towpath south. There is a very nice restaurant by Town Lock which is about 2" away from flooding.

In the marina, ramps "down" to the pontoons are now more-or-less horizontal. If the river rises another 18", it won't be possible to see where the marina ends and the river begins. Spent some time this afternoon watching swans on the river, paddling frantically upstream until they run out of energy, then rapidly floating back to their starting point. I don't know why they don't get out and walk...

Locals tell me that they expect the river to rise another 4-6" over the next 24 hours, even if it stays dry. Torrential rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow night...

Whee!

In Newark today the Trent is over the bank north of Town Bridge and about 4" off the towpath south. There is a very nice restaurant by Town Lock which is about 2" away from flooding.

In the marina, ramps "down" to the pontoons are now more-or-less horizontal. If the river rises another 18", it won't be possible to see where the marina ends and the river begins. Spent some time this afternoon watching swans on the river, paddling frantically upstream until they run out of energy, then rapidly floating back to their starting point. I don't know why they don't get out and walk...

Locals tell me that they expect the river to rise another 4-6" over the next 24 hours, even if it stays dry. Torrential rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow night...

Whee!

Look, I'm chucking this your way as fast as possible so I can keep this mooring.....

Newark update

In the the last 4 hours the Trent has risen about 4", maybe a little more. Towpath south of the bridge is mostly underwater, but the lock is still about a foot out of water. The restaurant has closed its kitchen (but is still partying away upstairs), and the water is just beginning to creep up to the sandbags. Rain has stopped here now, but more heavy rain forecast before morning. Ramps to the pontoons are now horizontal, possibly even going slightly up.

No shortage of pics. I have also taken a screen grab of the Environment Agency site where it advises against unnecessary travel (I should say at this point, I'm not a doctor or a firefighter or anything, I make paninis for tourists, nobody is going to die because I take a day or two off work). To be honest I think it's an empty threat, buy I need to cover my ass in case he does follow though. I shall attempt to find an email address for HR.

Your story sounds about right for the catering trade, both my wife and I were in it, she worked front of house and I was a chef. The attitude of management stunk the only thing that mattered to them was the amount in the till at the end of the day, employees? they dont matter.

My sympathies

Phil

Newark update

In the the last 4 hours the Trent has risen about 4", maybe a little more. Towpath south of the bridge is mostly underwater, but the lock is still about a foot out of water. The restaurant has closed its kitchen (but is still partying away upstairs), and the water is just beginning to creep up to the sandbags. Rain has stopped here now, but more heavy rain forecast before morning. Ramps to the pontoons are now horizontal, possibly even going slightly up.

Aye - - -it's still comforting to be in a marina where the rising pontoons still have a further 6' captive rising capacity isn't it? :cheers:

Aye - - -it's still comforting to be in a marina where the rising pontoons still have a further 6' captive rising capacity isn't it? :cheers:

That it be, that it be. We're 4' from the top of the pylons, but Newark will flood in under 3', which should keep us safe. :)

This afternoon, the fall at Town Lock was about 6". The towpath on the town side is deep underwater for about 100 yards either side of the bridge. The opposite side north of the bridge is underwater as far as the lock. South of the bridge there is a couple of feet between the water level and the top of the bank almost as far as Kings Marina. The online moorings are ok, but the steps to the pontoon are flooded so people are having to hop over the fence and through berberis and brambles. Fortunately C(a)RT cut back most of the spikey stuff a few weeks ago. The wet entrance to the marina has disappeared apart from a couple of small grassy islands.

The EA is suggesting that we've peaked, although there is more heavy rain forecast tonight for the area. However, even that shouldn't have too great an impact as long as them what is sarf of us don't send any more this way. North Muskham (monitoring station a few miles north of Newark) is reporting the highest levels in nearly 5 years, and only 18" short of the highest ever recorded.

I have an empty cassette, plenty of food and several bottles of wine. Bring it on. :boat:

The EA is suggesting that we've peaked, although there is more heavy rain forecast tonight for the area. However, even that shouldn't have too great an impact as long as them what is sarf of us don't send any more this way. North Muskham (monitoring station a few miles north of Newark) is reporting the highest levels in nearly 5 years, and only 18" short of the highest ever recorded.

I have an empty cassette, plenty of food and several bottles of wine. Bring it on. :boat:

Not sure that I have a good understanding of the Trent below Nottingham, however, with Willington, Shardlow,still rising, the Lower Soar at maximum capacity and Nottingham rising with the flood tanks full, I think you may go up more before you go down.

I just tried to look at Holme lock but got turned away from the water sports centre but wondering how the moorers there are managing. The Trent through Nottingham is rising up the steps. Not seen this high since 2000.

I travelled by train along the Trent and Soar routes, the floods are widespread. Trent junction has entirely disappeared, it's just flood with only the yacht club house and I think the camourflage boat to be seen.

Some photos from Worcester taken today on the phone:-

Worcester race course.

65095_4976054801162_1042341654_n.jpg

The ramp that should be pointing downwards to the floating pontoon on the River Severn just after Diglis Lock

602411_4976064761411_1083013728_n.jpg

73255_4976065681434_1768176627_n.jpg

The floating pontoon

29372_4976063201372_460152865_n.jpg

We were moored on this pontoon a couple of weeks ago - luckily we're safely up a few locks on the Worcester & Birmingham canal now.

Well, despite allegedly peaking yesterday afternoon, the Trent at Newark has continued to rise by several inches. However, it does now look like it has got as high as it is going to this time.

Town Lock is about an inch short of going underwater, but the flood lock is holding with 5" spare. Towpath under deep water on both sides south of the bridge and town side north of the bridge. Online moorers by the C(a)RT office are looking a bit miserable, but they should be ok. Marina has expanded to include most of the adjacent towpath and a small chunk of the common land east of the dry entrance. Pontoon landings are an inch short of flooding, but the pontoons themselves have a good 2' or more of rise left.

No more rain forecast for the next few days, so it should start going down tomorrow. At least, if they don't open the flood lock at Nottingham...

That it be, that it be. We're 4' from the top of the pylons, but Newark will flood in under 3', which should keep us safe. :)

This afternoon, the fall at Town Lock was about 6". The towpath on the town side is deep underwater for about 100 yards either side of the bridge. The opposite side north of the bridge is underwater as far as the lock. South of the bridge there is a couple of feet between the water level and the top of the bank almost as far as Kings Marina. The online moorings are ok, but the steps to the pontoon are flooded so people are having to hop over the fence and through berberis and brambles. Fortunately C(a)RT cut back most of the spikey stuff a few weeks ago. The wet entrance to the marina has disappeared apart from a couple of small grassy islands.

Love it. I have full tanks of diesel ab almost empty pump out tank but caviar and potatoes ars running short