Questions to ask on a test run before purchase?

Salopgal

Featured Posts

Ah! - - But, OP, please note! - - - Mrsmelly has decades of experience with boats . . . . just because he has the ability and nous to make an 'educated' (sic) decision on the condition and likely longevity of a craft doesn't mean that all should replicate it.

I would applaud any new (to) boat owners whom wish to have a survey - - it may not be an hundred percent guarantee against faults - - but it's certainly a step towards it

I agree. As complete newbies we had a full survey, which I have no regrets about because he did a very thorough job (despite not being able to run the engine :D) which gave us peace of mind when we moved aboard.

Next time we'll probably just opt for a hull survey because we've now got enough experience to know what we're looking out for. I don't know if we'd ever be happy buying a boat without a hull survey though, unless we bought one of those gizmos for testing the steel thickness ourselves.

Do NOT skip a survey. many questions I would be asking, but they may all be answered in the sales details. Sadly just on phone with limited internet tonight though. Any plating history? What insulation? The list goes on, but just don't skip that survey....and have an independant and thorough one done please. Most sellers are nice whilst selling! I understand jumping the gun, but if a survey is bad, which it probably won't be, you must be prepared to walk away. Good luck!

I have now looked at the link...shye does look a lovely boat, so I am much relieved for you! I still think a survey is a must so you know what to expect, especially as it is coming off the price...information is invaluable. Hope all goes well today! :)

Ah! - - But, OP, please note! - - - Mrsmelly has decades of experience with boats . . . . just because he has the ability and nous to make an 'educated' (sic) decision on the condition and likely longevity of a craft doesn't mean that all should replicate it.

....and he's not THAT clever, Mrsmelly still keeps chosing cassette toilets....

Thank you SOOOOOO much for your messages of support and help.

The test run went really well - better than I could have hoped and I am absolutely certain that this is the boat for me.

The boat is in fabulous condition and the owners have taken amazing care of her. Having survey done next Tuesday.

The couple are in their 60s and have had Delilah for 10 years. They has spent a small fortune getting her fully maintained at all times and there's even a brand new tv aerial just 6 weeks old. They are selling for very personal reasons.

We spent over 4 hours together and we went out on the boat through two locks and then back again and then they showed me throughout the boat. The more time I'm on her, the more the "I can't wait" feeling strikes me!!

I've asked the gentleman to make a detailed list of all the maintainance tasks and suggestions annually, biannuallly, monthly, weekly, daily etc. He's incredibly organised and utterly methodical in his approach to keeping the boat in tip-top condition and keeping all the paperwork, receipts, codes etc. He has spent a small fortune on top of the range stuff. The engine is immaculate and all of the systems work brilliantly. He even had the central heating fully serviced this week on my behalf and we tested everything out.

Once the survey conclusions are in, we'll exchange and he'll spend a couple of days with me going through absolutely everything in fine detail so that I am au fait with all the tasks. I am really looking forward to putting my back into caring for her 100% and will make it my life's work whilst I have her in my care. I am so excited about living aboard now. No colly wobbles at all and I just can't wait!!

Really today could not have gone better!!

Thank you again - I am the happiest bunny alive...

K :P

• Greenie 2

Thank you SOOOOOO much for your messages of support and help.

The test run went really well - better than I could have hoped and I am absolutely certain that this is the boat for me.

The boat is in fabulous condition and the owners have taken amazing care of her. Having survey done next Tuesday.

The couple are in their 60s and have had Delilah for 10 years. They has spent a small fortune getting her fully maintained at all times and there's even a brand new tv aerial just 6 weeks old. They are selling for very personal reasons.

We spent over 4 hours together and we went out on the boat through two locks and then back again and then they showed me throughout the boat. The more time I'm on her, the more the "I can't wait" feeling strikes me!!

I've asked the gentleman to make a detailed list of all the maintainance tasks and suggestions annually, biannuallly, monthly, weekly, daily etc. He's incredibly organised and utterly methodical in his approach to keeping the boat in tip-top condition and keeping all the paperwork, receipts, codes etc. He has spent a small fortune on top of the range stuff. The engine is immaculate and all of the systems work brilliantly. He even had the central heating fully serviced this week on my behalf and we tested everything out.

Once the survey conclusions are in, we'll exchange and he'll spend a couple of days with me going through absolutely everything in fine detail so that I am au fait with all the tasks. I am really looking forward to putting my back into caring for her 100% and will make it my life's work whilst I have her in my care. I am so excited about living aboard now. No colly wobbles at all and I just can't wait!!

Really today could not have gone better!!

Thank you again - I am the happiest bunny alive...

K :P

Yep. Know exactly what you mean. When you find the right boat you KNOW its right. You're in love!!!!

It looks a smashing boat and it's no wonder you are so exited and anxious to get her. All indications point towards it sailing through (pun intended ;) ) the survey and I really hope it does. But if the survey reveals anything too untoward you'll have to try and be as objective as you can, hard as it may be after setting your heart on it. It looks like it's been really well looked after and the chances are that nothing seriously wrong is found with it so fingers crossed.

I'm in a similar situation, in that I've agreed a price on a 1996 Colecraft narrowboat that we've set our hearts on and I'm arranging a full survey for the end of the month. Once again the wonderful folk on this forum have come up trumps with their advice and I too will be taking note of their advice of things to ask and look for when following the surveryor aound the boat.

Thanks everybody and good luck salopgirl :cheers:

That sounds really positive. Hopefully there are no hidden problems lurking, though if there are, I expect they will be prepared to barter accordingly or get any necessary work done before sale.

It's a really exciting thing when you fall in love with a boat that you want to be home...I do hope all continues to go well.

Now you need to resolve those storage issues....or get selling stuff off! ....or both! :D

Glad that all went well Salopgirl and great to feel the chirp in your writing! hope all goes well enjoy and be careful. I would hope that the folks on here will help to look after you until you get on your feet, you have a lot of help and information at your fingertips. Thats what the forum should be about. You have my number if you need it.

David and Doreen

...I am absolutely certain that this is the boat for me...

...The more time I'm on her, the more the "I can't wait" feeling strikes me!!...

...I am so excited about living aboard now...

...Really today could not have gone better...

...I am the happiest bunny alive...

Oh dear. I'm afraid you've got "the bug". I'm very sorry, but there isn't a cure for it; the best you can do is treat the symptoms. These include: an aversion to ironing, an inability to stand still without swaying gently, and extremely fervent opinions on the correct way to store and dispose of your bodily waste.

I recommend regular consumption of gin.

Oh dear. I'm afraid you've got "the bug". I'm very sorry, but there isn't a cure for it; the best you can do is treat the symptoms. These include: an aversion to ironing, an inability to stand still without swaying gently, and extremely fervent opinions on the correct way to store and dispose of your bodily waste.

I recommend regular consumption of gin.

OR vanilla bodka. Just a good. Me N coasty have been on both tonight. OMG :D

Well I'm spoilt - I've got two loos in Delilah and so will be able to mix and match I suppose! What a hoot!

Gin - and all the variations, fantastic. I make good sloe gin but can put it away in industrial strength quantities...!! :cheers:

Ah yes, no room for a drinks cupboard onboard, Oh well, I'll think of something!

Thank you all again for your fantastic support. Love you each and every one(gin and wine speak - not good for diabetic girly!)...

K x