Inverter / charger choice

jelunga

Featured Posts

Our 20yr old odd Heart Inverter charger has given up on life, so I need to replace it.. The choice is a Mastervolt 12-2500\100 or a Victron 12-3000/100.

Price is similar so not a decision factor.

Any views?

I know Mrsmelly will prob say Mastervolt but are there any performance differences or reliabilty issues?

I look forward to useful advice.

Keith

I would go for Mastervolt...while your fitting that take a look at the rest of the MasterBus system...control panels...High amperage distro & shunts.

It all fits together rather nicely and you can see what power is going where.....you can also expand it as funds permit!

The MasterBus Easy touchscreen is the best panel and does allow other units such as the shunt & distro to be added later

Its a much easier system to fit than the Victron bus and having fitted a few of the Mastervolt systems they seem to be pretty reliable!

HTH

Gareth

The one on Loddon has done the same. As I dont need more than 1k replaced it with one of these.

http://caravantechnology.com/1000W-12V-Combi-P93C22.aspx

The inverter part of our heart still works will run a 2k fire no problem, its just not accepting mains and shuts down when mains ia applied.

Will look at it soon to see if its anything obvious

The one on Loddon has done the same. As I dont need more than 1k replaced it with one of these.

http://caravantechnology.com/1000W-12V-Combi-P93C22.aspx

The inverter part of our heart still works will run a 2k fire no problem, its just not accepting mains and shuts down when mains ia applied.

Will look at it soon to see if its anything obvious

Ours also inverts but trips the shore power rcd when power applid. But no battery charger or mains to sockets is a problem.

The Victron Multiplus has Power Assist, handy if shorepower or genny is limited on power output, not sure if Mastervolt has similar?

Yes it does. Also has split charging - most to domestic but 5a to starter.

Also has a seperate outlet mains only live whenon shore/geny to run an immersion etc.

Our 20yr old odd Heart Inverter charger has given up on life, so I need to replace it.. The choice is a Mastervolt 12-2500\100 or a Victron 12-3000/100.

Price is similar so not a decision factor.

Any views?

I know Mrsmelly will prob say Mastervolt but are there any performance differences or reliabilty issues?

I look forward to useful advice.

Keith

Hi Keith

i will only buy Mastervolt BUT the units we use on the boats at work are all Victron and are never a problem and do what we ask of them which on occasion is quite a considerable kicking. Oh and bruvver in law has victron and had no problems, he did however heed my advice and have seperates fitted so he knows precisely at all times what is going on and much less to go wrong. :cheers:

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

Hi Keith

i will only buy Mastervolt BUT the units we use on the boats at work are all Victron and are never a problem and do what we ask of them which on occasion is quite a considerable kicking. :cheers:

Tim

Combi's or separates...?

Combi's or separates...?

Hi Keith

We have both. I am doing battery checks on both boats tomorrow which will include checking the victron stuff, I will look what models they are if you want ?

Tim

Hi Keith

We have both. I am doing battery checks on both boats tomorrow which will include checking the victron stuff, I will look what models they are if you want ?

Tim

Thanks Fred..

Hi Keith

Tim

Thanks Tim. At the moment the Mastervolt seems to be in pole position with the twin mains out lets. A combi is also cheaper than separates and cost is a factor.

Ely Chandlers are doing both within a similar price range. Victron one is 3000 w mastervolt 2500w.

Ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh

;)

We have the Victron 12/3000/120/16 Combi and that has been faultless ( 4 years) It does also have Power assist, and split outputs for main bank and starter battery - we have the ethernet remote panel which allows the drain from the shoreline to be limited to the breaker available ( on a 5 A at the moment) which stops any surges from tripping the shoreline RCD ( if set correctly ! rolleyes.gif) Nice quiet fan too if/when it comes on....

Nick

Ours also inverts but trips the shore power rcd when power applid. But no battery charger or mains to sockets is a problem.

IIRC the great Gibbo said something about surge arrestors/MOVs on the input going faulty, may be worth sending a PM to him, if it is indeed that it would be quite reasonable to repair.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

IIRC the great Gibbo said something about surge arrestors/MOVs on the input going faulty, may be worth sending a PM to him, if it is indeed that it would be quite reasonable to repair.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Yes, on the later units there's a filter nailed on underneath as a half arsed attempt at reducing EMI for CE regs. It's a pile of crap. Rip it off and it usually solves this problem.