Crimbo Presents

BiggusDickus

Featured Posts

We are due to take delivery of our new boat summer 2013. Thinking about what to put on my crimbo list in the way of tools, spares etc. Any ideas?

Halfords professional 120 piece socket and spanner set.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_862443_langId_-1_categoryId_255215

A decent hand axe.

A good torch.

Edited by The Dog House

Not arguing with you here and just wanting to know as I've just bought a boat and am also in the process of gathering essential bits together, but is the full 120 piece set necessary or would the 90 piece one do? (The 120 piece one is a lot of money :unsure: )

Not arguing with you here and just wanting to know as I've just bought a boat and am also in the process of gathering essential bits together, but is the full 120 piece set necessary or would the 90 piece one do? (The 120 piece one is a lot of money :unsure: )

A man can never have enough tools! No smirking from the back row, thank you.

I have virtually a duplicate set on the boat as at home as I found in the past, when I needed something I had left it at home!

This is more so if you do your own servicing.

Edited by Ray T

It depends what you want to do really obviously the bigger set gives more options.

That said mine 120 piece one is normally at home and I normally have the 90 piece one on the boat, but that is at home at the mo as the daughter wants to borrow it. :rolleyes:

I got mine 120 piece one when it was on offer - I'm sure I only paid around £99 for it - it often pops up on promotion.

Have also thought of some other stuff.

- A good electronic voltmeter.

- If you can't stretch to the mutli tool G&F suggested (as good as they obviously are) go for the Bosch version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Multifunctional-Rounder-Multi-Accessories/dp/B003H4QOLA/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1352037804&sr=1-2 - I've got one of these on my santa list.. :cheers:

- A good cordless drill/screwdriver

Edited by The Dog House

bow saw, splitting axe, jigsaw,drill with accessories or multi tool, hammer and pins, nappy pins, but all that depends on whether your living aboard, if not you won't need the saw/axe, i'm sure you will find out what you need when you don't have it tho, good luck with your new boat. :)

- If you can't stretch to the mutli tool G&F suggested (as good as they obviously are) go for the Bosch version.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Multifunctional-Rounder-Multi-Accessories/dp/B003H4QOLA/ref=sr_1_2?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1352037804&sr=1-2 - I've got one of these on my santa list.. :cheers:

I've got a genuine (though quite old now) 110V Multimaster for 'real' work, but I picked up an el cheapo cordless one recently & find it very good for odd little touch-up sanding jobs and the like.

Tim

To start might I suggest just a 3/8" drive set? and one of the best sets you've-probably-never-heard-of ... http://www.cromwell.co.uk/YMT5826200K ... its £60 (check the 2007 review http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/35982/socket-sets) My only bias is that I've owned a set for years and it's never let me down despite a lot of use.

Another thought, you mention yours will be a new boat, will you need both metric and imperial?

With regards the multi-tool, I've got the Bosch PMF 180E 240v version, it's seen a lot of use and still going strong, it uses the same blades as the Fein, and it's the blades which I've found to be the costly consumable.

beer,

wine

fishing rod (cheap £10 rod and reel from go outdoors) not really to fish but as an excuse to sit and do nothing.

Aluminium long reach windlass. dont want to watch wife struggle too much at locks.

good kettle

zips or buttons on pockets especially breast pockets. The splashing sound as you bend over to pick something up reminds you of this.

Lots of time.

To start might I suggest just a 3/8" drive set? and one of the best sets you've-probably-never-heard-of ... http://www.cromwell.co.uk/YMT5826200K ... its £60 (check the 2007 review http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/35982/socket-sets) My only bias is that I've owned a set for years and it's never let me down despite a lot of use.

Looks good!

Another thought, you mention yours will be a new boat, will you need both metric and imperial?

When I say new, I mean new to me. It's nearly 7 years old.

zips or buttons on pockets especially breast pockets. The splashing sound as you bend over to pick something up reminds you of this.

Discovered this already! :rolleyes:

I've got a genuine (though quite old now) 110V Multimaster for 'real' work, but I picked up an el cheapo cordless one recently & find it very good for odd little touch-up sanding jobs and the like.

Tim

Unless you're using a multitool frequently for work then it's difficult to justify buying a Fein. The cheap copies are ok for occasional use.

Can anyone recommend a wind-up torch which really lasts without falling apart?

Thanks

Tim

I have a digilogic windup torch/radio, been used for couple of years now and has been much better than the torches you buy at garages etc, not perfect though by any means. :cheers:

Everything you think you might need, a few of the "Ooo that tool looks useful", plus two "sod off" sized magnets on decent bits of cord/rope

Torch that lsts well, without falling apart - a Maglite (or several, in different sizes), far from cheap, but they do last better than most of the cheap imitations, and the 5-D sized ones can have come in useful when deterring boarders