Cleaning a mattress

Zayna

Featured Posts

Hi all.

So in the quest for a new bedroom with a drop down bed, we have cut down a mattress which we've had in storage in a garage. It's cut down really well and we've stitched it over at the end.

It smells though. It's not that old, it was new when we bought it (O.H. didn't find it all that comfy but he's fussy with mattresses and we've had about 6 in the last 8 years, long story), but because it's been stored it whiffs of just general mustiness.

I'm trying to borrow a steam cleaner, then I've googled and seen white vinegar is good, and upholstery shampoo.

Any more recommendations? I don't want just to Febreze it, I want to give it a good cleaning first.

Ta folks.

Hi all.

So in the quest for a new bedroom with a drop down bed, we have cut down a mattress which we've had in storage in a garage. It's cut down really well and we've stitched it over at the end.

It smells though. It's not that old, it was new when we bought it (O.H. didn't find it all that comfy but he's fussy with mattresses and we've had about 6 in the last 8 years, long story), but because it's been stored it whiffs of just general mustiness.

I'm trying to borrow a steam cleaner, then I've googled and seen white vinegar is good, and upholstery shampoo.

Any more recommendations? I don't want just to Febreze it, I want to give it a good cleaning first.

Ta folks.

Hair shampoo is a powerful stain remover. If a bed wetter has been sleeping on it i'd take it to a commercial vehicle garage and get it steam cleaned properly or chuck it away.

No bed wetting bizzard, just general foistiness from being stored in a garage.

I thought about professional steam cleaning, there's a Tesco car cleaning thing near me, they did my car seat when my nephew had a slight accident, and it came up a treat.

I'm trying to borrow a steam cleaner off a friend.

No bed wetting bizzard, just general foistiness from being stored in a garage.

I thought about professional steam cleaning, there's a Tesco car cleaning thing near me, they did my car seat when my nephew had a slight accident, and it came up a treat.

I'm trying to borrow a steam cleaner off a friend.

You could tie it to the roof of your car and drive through a car wash. :closedeyes:

I have a faint memory that Kim and Aggie used warm water and some toilet soap on a sponge. And padded the soap out with clean water. But I think, if its clean a sprinkling of bicarbonate of soda left for a few hours and vacuumed off would do the trick.

I've also read that standing it outside in the sunshine for a few hours works.

Fat chance of that though, eh?

For drying it, drag it along to Tesco's or any friendly bakery and get em to pass it through their bread oven. Or surround it with de-humidifiers.

Try not to get it too wet, so it dries well. If it doesnt dry quickly and evenly- it'll smell worse and probably go mouldy- especially at this time of year. Steam cleaners are pretty good because they deposit hardly any water

The best way to clean and de-odourise a mattress is with a steam cleaner, it'll also kill bacteria and any bed bugs and remove stains.

I'm on that wavelength also, I'm trying to find one to borrow, rather than spend more than the mattress cost on a cleaner...

The best way to clean and de-odourise a mattress is with a steam cleaner, it'll also kill bacteria and any bed bugs and remove stains.

I agree - less moisture to get rid of afterwards also.

Fabreze is good just spray it on and that it

It is good yes but generally it just 'masks'. the smell rather than properly eliminating the source.

We used it to get rid of the 'chemical' smell on our new memory foam boat mattress but it returned only to be properly eliminated when the mattress was aired properly outside (that was the 'summer' though.

Edited by The Dog House

It [Febreze] is good yes but generally it just 'masks'. the smell rather than properly eliminating the source.

It actually interlocks with the molecules causing the smell and does away with them.

Nasty stuff Febreze, used for de-fatting meats, removing caffeine, and all sorts of other things.

Not to be confused with air fresheners which just knock out your sense of smell for long enough for the smell to disperse.

Hire a rug doctor from morrisons. Quite cheap and you can do all the carpets and seats whilst on hire. They are also quiet good for removing loads of unwanted bilge water after a pump fail, but don't ask me how I know this!

Good luck

Thanks all. My sister reckons she's got a steam cleaner somewhere in her garage, failing that I think I will hire a carpet cleaner, my sofa and lounge could do with a clean as well.

I did Febreze one corner of it last night and it smells fresh as a daisy this morning, but I can't bear the thought of it not being 'clean', even though it's not stained or grimy, if you see what I mean.

:sick:

Several experiences with Fabreze ... all bad , it just doesn't give a lasting cure.

I tried a Polti steam cleaner on a couple of occasions and was unimpressed ... it just moved stuff around and steamed-up the windows ... that's probably why your sister's is "somewhere in the garage" and not immediately to hand.

However, I know some that swear by Sebo Duo-P for carpet stains / smells. It looks like damp sand and smells faintly of lemons ... you brush it in, leave it for 1/2 hour, then vac it up ( not to be confused with shake'n'vac). I recon it would work for a mattress just as well. Haven't used it recently as the kids, mercifully, seem to have stopped spilling stuff.

Duo-P

Edited by Kwacker