Tethering the all you can eat.

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Battery usage does seem to be high we have overcome this with:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Sync-Charger-Charging-Dock-Cradle-Battery-for-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-SIII-i9300-/200800076128?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160

Works for us and means we do not have long cables everywhere, we just change the batteries over and leave the phone in the docking station overnight.

I've just got the 'one plan' from 3 with a new Samsung S3 - £31 /month (£29 upfront for the handset)

The S3 says it can handle 10 devices on its wifi hotspot function, I have 5 devices attached and can run them all at the same time.

(6 if you include the wireless printer - which workes great through the S3 hotspot)

Download speeds on '3' for me are 8-12 Mbs, upload 2-6 Mps

Edited by Supertramp

Got the same 3 One Plan with a Samsung Galaxy SII with no upfront cost for £25/month on a 24 month contract last week from BuyMobilePhones. Received the phone 18 hours after ordering the deal online and everything is working fine so far.

The data you use while the phone is tethered is capped.

We are heavy data users, no other plan or device worked for us - the Samsung Galaxy Ace gives us unlimited.

The data you use while the phone is tethered is capped.

We are heavy data users, no other plan or device worked for us - the Samsung Galaxy Ace gives us unlimited.

The 3 One Plan is completely unlimited and allows tethering. There will be throttling of bandwidth during high capacity usage times and data only connection plan users will get priority over the phone connection plan users but that is the same with any broadband connection. Had no bandwidth issues myself using the phone as a wifi hotspot yet, except on the move when I sometimes lose the signal, but that is to be expected with any mobile connection.

You can get an even cheaper deal than mine with the Galaxy Ace that achieves the same wifi broadband results (£21/month or less).

Edited by Philippe

Correct, but to be clear if you are on 'Unlimited Internet' this only applies to using internet on the phone itself. If you want to tether on this plan you have to buy the 'add on' and accept that this will be capped, but only when the phone is actually tethered, it reverts to unlimited when just using the phone.

To have an unlimited allowance for phone use and when tethering you need to be on the One plan -

As I discovered recently (on here) the phone is capable of doing more than your plan allows.

Edited by The Dog House

I have an HTC Desire on the 3 all- you -can -eat plan and both tether it by cable on one laptop (which has no WiFi) and use its WiFi hotspot option with another laptop (which, of course, has WiFi). I used to have a separate dongle and phone contract but this all-in-one solution works very well.

Sorry that is just not true. The device does not determine the access costs/restrictions, the plan the you are on does that. For 3 the only plan the *allows* tethering with all you can eat data usage is the One Plan.

The all you can eat data component does actually have a cap if you look in the 3 plan details (they would be mad if it did not), 1000 GB per month. You would have to be going some, and really taking the p*ss if you hit that though, 100GB is a lot to use per month.

The all you can eat data component does actually have a cap if you look in the 3 plan details (they would be mad if it did not), 1000 GB per month. You would have to be going some, and really taking the p*ss if you hit that though, 100GB is a lot to use per month.

Which is why this is working out great for us because I only actually tether the phone when we are boating so the add on at £5 for the gigs you get is more than enough and works out much better value than my 3 PAYG dongle which is virtually redundant now.

If we lived aboard it might be a different thing but for regular but not permanent tethered use it's just great.

Edited by The Dog House

Sorry that is just not true. The device does not determine the access costs/restrictions, the plan the you are on does that. For 3 the only plan the *allows* tethering with all you can eat data usage is the One Plan.

Spot on about the plan determining access costs & restrictions but there isn't a cap on the data for the 3 One Plan. They only state 1000GB as that is the effective limit over a month on what a mobile device could consume.

From the 3 terms and conditions:

All you can eat data allows you to use as much as the Internet or consumer as much data as you wish without worrying about the cost or having to search for hidden and unfair “fair use policies”.

If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on. The add-on can be purchased via My3 on your handset and is also available to customers on our Talk and Text plans.

Existing customer on any of our pay monthly plans? You can get All You Can Eat Data for the remainder of your contract at an additional cost of £3 per month.

Does all you can eat data come with any limits? The limit is how much your device can consume – if you were to actively use data or the Internet on your phone every second, of every day, in every month (and we would be worried if you were !!!!) you would, subject to the current traffic management requirements (which vary from time to time), use up to 1000GB per month. So in essence there is a limit of how much data you can actually consume which is up to 1000GB. All this means that you can have absolute piece of mind and enjoy all the internet you need on your smartphone, without worrying.

Edited by Philippe

Spot on about the plan determining access costs & restrictions but there isn't a cap on the data for the 3 One Plan. They only state 1000GB as that is the effective limit over a month on what a mobile device could consume.

From the 3 terms and conditions:

That is the wording, and you can certainly argue the semantics of it, but to me that reads as specific as most "fair use" policy's do. If you work it out, if you get better then a 3Mbs connection you can exceed that amount in theory, so it does not represent an actual theoretical maximum at all, and I would assert that it is an arbitrary figure. If you were exceeding that amount, I can see your bandwidth getting seriously throttled. None of this changes that 1000GB is a lot for personal use, and in practice it is unlimited.

Edited by john6767

After a lot of thinking and calculation we've gone for the MIFI 15g @ £15.99 per month, at the end of the day £12 cheaper than all you can eat via a phone and we don't really need the phone anyway it would just have been a route to getting unlimited data which is now under question anyway. On top of that we managed to upgrade without having to pay off the remaining 9 months of our 5g dongle, so actual additional cost is just £7.72 per month for an additional 10G and a MIFI router to boot. Also it'll be here tomorrow, don't hang about do they :wacko:

We were also told that the MIFI unit will have much better performance than WIFI tethering via a mobile handset, I didn't disbelieve this as I was debating the one plan all you can eat against the MIFI with the same rep so the one plan at £28.99 would get them more income, she basically said if we're using the lap tops via MIFI it would definitely be faster.

Apologies, should have said (again) that we are on the one plan. Previously the add-on and 3mi-fi didn't give us enough data but the one plan works well.

That is the wording, and you can certainly argue the semantics of it, but to me that reads as specific as most "fair use" policy's do. If you work it out, if you get better then a 3Mbs connection you can exceed that amount in theory, so it does not represent an actual theoretical maximum at all, and I would assert that it is an arbitrary figure. If you were exceeding that amount, I can see your bandwidth getting seriously throttled. None of this changes that 1000GB is a lot for personal use, and in practice it is unlimited.

Don't want to get into a silly pedantic argument but it specifically states that "The limit is how much your device can consume" - so there is no limit or "fair use" policy.

Dipping out now as this is getting pointless. :rolleyes:

Edited by Philippe

When I saw the title of the thread it made no sense whatsoever - English words, but strung together randomly and indecipherably. Then I read a little way down and found out what the OP meant by "tethering". But why did he say "all you can EAT"? A computer or mobile telephone is not edible. It's nonsense.

But I have worked it out now: it was the mention of "Galaxy" which gave the game away. You have been buying chocolate computers, haven't you?

When I saw the title of the thread it made no sense whatsoever - English words, but strung together randomly and indecipherably. Then I read a little way down and found out what the OP meant by "tethering". But why did he say "all you can EAT"? A computer or mobile telephone is not edible. It's nonsense.

But I have worked it out now: it was the mention of "Galaxy" which gave the game away. You have been buying chocolate computers, haven't you?

:lol:

I had a very quick 5 minute look and there are some good deals out there..

Pease don't forget to use Quidco for cashback everyone on anything you want to buy!

Using Quidco you can get £65 cashback for a Three sim only all you can eat. If you have a wifi phone then go to the market and get them to unblock your phone if they can and get a sim only from 3 for £15.90 a month with 600 talk mins and 5000 texts (if you have time to send them!) and all you can eat. Go through the quidco site and there is the £65 odd cashback on top!

Links

http://www.quidco.com/three/

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=2917

Edit: It is also only a 12mth contract I see now

Edited by Sue