Just had a classic :)

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

I was just outside cleaning the boat windows so I have a HIgh Definition view again of the outside.

A man walks past:

Man : " Do you own this boat?"

Me: " Yes"

Man: " Then I MUST ask a question. How do YOU own a boat like THIS?"

Me: " Then I must ALSO ask a question.. WHAT BUSINESS IS THAT OF YOURS!?"

Man continues walking....

I'm guessing the man was asking because I'm younger than a lot of 'boaters' . But gee! Talk about invasion of privacy!

Aren't some people rude!?!?!!):cheers:

I was just outside cleaning the boat windows so I have a HIgh Definition view again of the outside.

A man walks past:

I'm guessing the man was asking because I'm younger than a lot of 'boaters' . But gee! Talk about invasion of privacy!

Possibly another boater.

Well if he has seen the prices at the builders just down the cut from you. Your boat is very well kept though. Immaculate paintwork and every time I passed you near Poynton you had fresh flowers in the window, we are slobs in comparison :)

Please tell us how old you are! Some one was questioning my ability to wind my boat in a tight junction just as i was about to set off. I abruptly stoppped him in his tracks by saying " i know what i am doing". I think the chap who asked you had a hint of jealousy. If you work hard for a living why shouldnt you have a nice newish boat in your 30's. we all dont need to retire to enjoy the cut.

It was he way he said it, I take it, that upset you

He was a worker at an adjacent hire boat yard. The way i was facing was a branch end which was only navigable for boats 15ft shorter than me. I had got as far as I could and was about to go a stern to wind. He was about to explain where to point my boat and use how much throttle before i stopped him explaining the obvious. If he had said "excuse me do you need any help", or "are you ok to wind" instead of barking orders. frusty.gifI may be very young compared to the 60-70% of boat owners who are over 60 but i am capable of winding a 50 ft boat. captain.gif I am beginning to sound like a moaning old man all ready. BAR HUMBUG!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Darren72

A man walks past:

Rudeness appears to be the norm now. It all started with "assertive training" a few years back, but it developed into rudeness. Being assertive is anything but being rude, though some people don't seem to have the intelligence to make the distinction.

He was a worker at an adjacent hire boat yard. The way i was facing was a branch end which was only navigable for boats 15ft shorter than me. I had got as far as I could and was about to go a stern to wind. He was about to explain where to point my boat and use how much throttle before i stopped him explaining the obvious. If he had said "excuse me do you need any help", or "are you ok to wind" instead of barking orders. frusty.gifI may be very young compared to the 60-70% of boat owners who are over 60 but i am capable of winding a 50 ft boat. captain.gif I am beginning to sound like a moaning old man all ready. BAR HUMBUG!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Put downs are useful at such times, though I always struggle to thing of one at the time.

Ha! Some of the responses have made me laugh. But I'm not even 30 Darren! Im 27!! But I know what you mean! And its true, if youve worked hard and made good decisions which has given us the money to buy a boat whats it got to do with anyone else!?

And don't worry about sounding like an old man. I might be 27 but I'm sure I've got the mind of a 70 year old! Oh, and yes it was the way he said it and also just the asking in the first place. It's like walking past someone's house, and asking how much they paid for it and if they've got a new kitchen etc etc....you just wouldn't do it , but it seems ok to people to cross these boundaries when it's "just someone on a boat"!

@oarfish - didnt know you were spying on me ;) and now I'm embarrassed, but thanks! But yeh we try and make it nice , that's what we had it for. Anyway, yours is amazing too, I saw some of the carpentry inside yours and was well jeal!!!!

My reply was to Lewiseric, we posted at the same time. ;)

It happens to us 'oldens' as well.

Whilst adjusting the solar panels, three times today, each time a different person walked past and asked, "Do they work" ? :wacko::blink:

Answer: Yes :closedeyes:

Oh no oh no oh no!!! We get that all the time too! Even before I owned a boat, I just wouldn't start up a conversation like that with someone as I know they'll probably already be being asked that 100 times a day already!

Not only that but I INSTANTLY get annoyed when people just start talking to me if I'm sat on the deck, or busy doing something in the engine room or something with no " excuse me, sorry to trouble you..." but just firing /shouting questions at me. Isn't it just courteous to say something along those lines first?? I'm more likely to talk to people if they do start conversation in a polite way rather like "sorry to trouble you" but I can't say many do at all. It's usually :

" HELLO!? Are you ignoring me? *starts shouting like I'm deaf* YOO HOO!! I WANT to know if your solar panels are really good for heating up your water or do you use them for something else?! Are they for cooking with?'"

To which I usually start shaking my head and close all the doors and blinds! And ignore!!

Edited by lewisericeric

Rudeness appears to be the norm now.

I disagree. It's not the norm. That passerby demonstrated arrogance, envy and snobbery. They've been around as long as people have, but I dont thing that showing those things out loud are the norm. It happens but most people keep it in, or alternatively, are happy for someone who has something they covet.

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Had quite the opposite coming up through the lock at Banbury this morning.

Man: is that your boat?

Me: yes.

Man: looks a lovely boat.

Me: Thank you, it has taken a lot of blood, sweat and a fair sized wedge to getting her to look like this.

Man: Your efforts have paid off.

Me: Thank you.

Man: Have a good day, the weather's looking good.

There are polite people out there.

Edited by Ray T

I disagree. It's not the norm. That passerby demonstrated arrogance, envy and snobbery. They've been around as long as people have, but I dont thing that showing those things out loud are the norm. It happens but most people keep it in, or alternatively, are happy for someone who has something they covet.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I believe that rudeness in society has increased. I suppose it depends on how we define rudeness.

Me: Thank you, it has taken a lot of blood, sweat and a fair sized wedge to getting her to look like this.

:clapping:

A man walks past:

this afternoon

there i was splitting some kindling when a smartly dressed gentleman and companion walked past, as he passed his comment directed at me was "must be nice not to pay council tax" quickly followed by "ha ha only jokeing".

sadly my unsubtle respnse was "as it happens yes i bloody do"

quite pissed me off for some reason

:rolleyes:

this afternoon

there i was splitting some kindling when a smartly dressed gentleman and companion walked past, as he passed his comment directed at me was "must be nice not to pay council tax" quickly followed by "ha ha only jokeing".

sadly my unsubtle respnse was "as it happens yes i bloody do"

quite pissed me off for some reason

:rolleyes:

clapping.gif

Couldn't have been a Banbury local

They'd have trouble putting that many word together

;)

A man walks past:

Either he's jealous of your youth, in which case, take it as a compliment. or he's jealous of your boat, in which case, take it as a compliment.

In my job I have to deal with people who make this guy sound like an angel. Meet one of them and the conversation might have started "do you f'ing own this f'ing boat you f..."

On another point, I had previously considered myself a young'un when it comes to boating, but quite clearly I'm not! :banghead:

Edited by Dave_P