Just had a classic :)

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

I had a very pleasant conversation with a ten year-old boy in my class when we were discussing half term holidays.

When I told him I was going on a narrowboat over half term, he asked if the canal was the Leeds to Liverpool canal. Indeed it is the Leeds to Liverpool canal.

'It's the best canal I have ever been on. Are you hiring a boat from Silsden?' said the very small boy! :o

'No! I am hiring a Bearboating narrowboat from near Leeds.'

'You should have hired Jenny's Drum. That is a really nice boat.'

:o:o:o Now that was a conversation I wasn't expecting from a Year 6 boy!

I was very pleasantly surprised! :)

:o:o:o Now that was a conversation I wasn't expecting from a Year 6 boy!

My two were brought up on the boat. When the youngest was about 6 years old the school took them out on a day boat from Marple. When the teacher told the class my little one said "Go up the upper Peak, don't go down the locks, 7 and 8 are a bitch" (they were at the time).

My two were brought up on the boat. When the youngest was about 6 years old the school took them out on a day boat from Marple. When the teacher told the class my little one said "Go up the upper Peak, don't go down the locks, 7 and 8 are a bitch" (they were at the time).

My daughter was travelling in a bus along the Nice seafront. An American Lady asked her companion " What are those white things at the top of the yacht masts?" " Radar" was the reply. " Ooh how cool, they can watch Television".

It happens to us 'oldens' as well.

Whilst adjusting the solar panels, three times today, each time a different person walked past and asked, "Do they work" ? :wacko::blink:

Answer: Yes :closedeyes:

Sorry, but I think that's an example of a really miserable reply to a reasonable question from people who understand and are interested in the fact that you're generating your own power, but who happen to lack the technical knowledge to ask more in-depth questions. You're basically blanking people who've tried to start a conversation with a one-word reply and made it quite clear that you've no interest in talking to them.

If someone walked past and asked "How many amps do you get out of those panels?" then perhaps you'd be more interested in engaging them in conversation?

So next time someone walks past and asks "Do they work?" how about replying with "Well, it's quite complicated but I estimate they supply about half our power demands depending on the weather..." or something along those lines? If we try to engage people in what are really interesting subjects rather than just dismissing them, we might start to find that boaters aren't perceived as such miserable gits.

Edited by blackrose

It happens to us 'oldens' as well.

Whilst adjusting the solar panels, three times today, each time a different person walked past and asked, "Do they work" ? :wacko::blink:

Answer: Yes :closedeyes:

Perhaps you could anwer "Only if they are angled correctly to the prevailing wind". Give them something to think about.;)