Boat valuation farce

DickBrowne

Featured Posts

Three years ago we were looking to buy our first boat and B had a trad that we liked. Made arrangements to view an because I couldn't access the cash for two weeks due to banking transfers etc. he refused to put an offer of the asking price to the owner. I left and will never go back. Crap service.

Eventually found the boat we have now at Thorne and very happy with it.

Doug

have you thought about the "new and used boat" people,

when i was at mercia marina they were always cleaning the boats for sale and generally keeping them in a presentable condition. they are also at blisworth marina. i have not bought from them but was impressed by the way they looked after the for sale boats.

braunston when i went to the boat show i walked past the for sale boats and not impressed at all as they mostly looked grubby and seemed to have the same price tag of £39,995

as mentioned try selling private but do include lots of photos and all details of your boat

best of luck

clive

FYI New and Used have closed down at Blisworth.

Okay, I may be making a complete bluetit of myself here, but I'm assuming W is Whilton.

If it is, when I came to sell Ripple they came down to Saul, looked it over (reasonably thoroughly) made some suggestions as to minor works that would improve the value, and as I'd bought Ripple from them (some five years earlier) offered a slight discount on percentage.

I took all their advice, but unfortunately for them the valuation and touch up were so accurate she was sold before I left Saul Marina... :blush:

Dominic M did provide guidance for me, it must be added, but not to the extent of depriving Whilton of the trade

I've been to Braunston today to view boats. Plummy bloke didn't want to even look up from his newspaper and reminded me instantly of Harry Enfields "Did you see me coming" sketches, he handed me some keys and mumbled something about where a boat was. BUT then a very helpful and pleasant lady took over and showed me round the boat I was interested in. She's in charge of repairs though and not the brokerage and for all I know Mr Plummy was actually the bog cleaner.

Whilton took the trouble of showing how the sale display boards were cleverly in price order. That was the extent of the service. Then two staff laughed about someone they had on hold (a marina user) before sighing and fobbing her off over the alternator she was trying to get fixed. I nearly offered to take the phone so I could go and help her as I know enough about alternators to have a bash for no charge (geddit).

Hmmm

Rugby boats were charming and helpful - they couldn't have done more do advise, show me boats, talk in general about boats, argue light-heartedly with each other about engines, fridges and generators - it was like being on here and a very +ve experience.

Edited by boathunter

or Rugby Boats or ABNB

They ain't a million miles away...

Is there an echo in here?

Not necessarily -- other brokers are available. One is well known on here, and is a mere 8 miles and 7 locks from you. Another, whom we thought were very efficient when we bought though them, is roughly the same distance as your option 2, it just means a right turn before the second tunnel.

Just as surprising was the second one, who was offhand and dismissive and offered a valuation over the phone without knowing anything about the boat except who built it and when.

I went in there the a last weekend when driving past to see about arranging a valuation and was amazed at the suggestion that I should ring on Monday and would be able to get a valuation over the phone. I thought it was just a one off pass the buck kind of thing but that certainly seems a lot less likely now.

Try try going south enquiring at nearby Milton Keynes Marina (Pear tree Bridge) Only one small lock. The owner, Richard also owns Willowbridge. I suggested him tounge in cheek, to two owners that wanted a quick local sale, and I must admit that I was extremely surprised to hear that both of them were sold very quickly at a price very agreeable to the owners. Worth a try.

Edited by Radiomariner

Last time I was in Braunston to look around a boat I may well have been more than interested in, I stood in the shop/office for a good fifteen minutes and was completely ignored. Really? Yes, completely. Not even acknowledged as me being there. And, I was going to buy two Mars Bars as well. Walked out.

Martyn

They do seem to have a "Don't hassle the customer" approach at Braunston, but there is usually someone in the office, and a a head round the corner with a "good morniong" usually summons immediate attention.

Watching people in the shop over the years, they do seem to get a high proportion of browsers, and being such an accessible marina, I suspect that they get a lot more "tyre kickers" than most brokers, so maybe they have devloped their layed back approach in order to minimise wasted time, and possibly (non) customer embarassment.

Having said that, my only direct knowledge of any brokers is Andy Burnett who sold my friend's boat, which they did very swiftly and with amazing enthusiasm.

Edited by David Schweizer

I can second Mr. Paddler's recommendation from personal experience. ABNB sold our boat, off her mooring (at Springwood Haven) to the first customer who came to view it, at very close to the asking price. They take care to present each boat in a full, professional-looking brochure.

That's not to say that no one else does, but of the two brokers we've used (the other was in Nottingham), ABNB was the better by far.

Edited by Athy

have you thought about the "new and used boat" people,

when i was at mercia marina they were always cleaning the boats for sale and generally keeping them in a presentable condition. they are also at blisworth marina. i have not bought from them but was impressed by the way they looked after the for sale boats.

braunston when i went to the boat show i walked past the for sale boats and not impressed at all as they mostly looked grubby and seemed to have the same price tag of £39,995

as mentioned try selling private but do include lots of photos and all details of your boat

best of luck

clive

But are they cleaning their own stock boats?

I dont think that there are many brokers who clean their customers boats for them. :rolleyes:

Do a search of t'internet.

It astonishes me how poor most Brokers are.

The BEST, by a country mile are Dominic & the crew at ABNB, with an honourable mention for Brokefinder Brokerage.

The former, both for service & their websites.

The competitors, well considering I assume thay know what the opposition does defies comprehension they do not improve their sites.

The worse IMHO;

Braunston / Whilton / Crick- come on guys, it's shocking. It's 2012 for lordy's sake. Get a 12yr old to update it for you.

As a footnote, I would not use Whilton FULL STOP. I was browsing, not long back & the Staff present must have forgotten I was there.

What I heard was nothing short of shocking. They basically plan to screw everyone from what I heard. I eventually walked out & it went terribly quiet.

Another example of how difficult it is to find GOOD stuff in the Narrowboatworld. By jove it's a minefield out there or a 'Whitefield' :rolleyes:

Now then, who can I get to service my boat without ripping the arse off me............... Thank god for this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I genuinely think the Canal world in general needs a bring itself into line.

now breathe.............

Now then, who can I get to service my boat without ripping the arse off me............... Thank god for this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIY - it's honestly not that hard, and you know what's been done properly, :cheers:

1 - W

2 - B

Is my guess! :lol:

pity we can't vote, this gets my vote as well. maybe the OP should try 1 tunnel and 7 locks but not number one on the list.

or Rugby Boats or ABNB

Gets my vote as well

or Rugby Boats or ABNB

Gets my vote as well

Unless you need it selling fairly quick, or do not have the time or inclination to show people around your boat (in which case, go with Dom from Rugby Boats, which I think is a common consensus) then have a try with Apollo Duck and listing it yourself, what have you got to loose?

P.s.

Not moving off the cut permanently I hope?

Unless you need it selling fairly quick, or do not have the time or inclination to show people around your boat (in which case, go with Dom from Rugby Boats, which I think is a common consensus) then have a try with Apollo Duck and listing it yourself, what have you got to loose?

P.s.

Not moving off the cut permanently I hope?

Work and one thing and another mean that I'm not really able to sell it myself - being around at short notice to show people around would be difficult.

We're not coming off the cut, but are likely to hire for a few years, and buy again after that - we both love the lifestyle, but work and family are combining to mean that we don't get to spend as much time afloat as we'd like and it's come down to simple economics sadly :(