The Thames - 'strong stream' red boards

MtB

Featured Posts

I certainly thought about it, but the idea of going downstream at 30mph is just a bit too scary...

I disagree. Expressed in cubic metres per second, it IS a constant speed at any point along any given pound.

I can make my own allowances for changes in width/depth.

I love an optimist.

First, there is NOT a constant speed at any point unless the width and depth are constant.

Second, you have ignored what I said about the flow fluctuating.

Third, you have no idea of the shape of the bottom, and only a very crude idea of the width of the river. You will not be able to make any sensible estimates of the speed of the current.

Having travelled up the Thames against red boards in May I would advise much caution. As others have said the flow varies with width and depth of river. I set off in what seemed like a 4mph flow in a 55ft boat with 35hp which was able to move it along at a reasonable rate - I estimate i was doing about 2 mph past the bank so about 6mph overall. There were a couple of times going through narrows where the boat slowed to a crawl and it took 5 minutes to get under Windsor bridge where the water was piling up in front of the pillars.

I did find the lock keepers very helpful. Initially they advised me to stay put but once I decided to press on I asked for any tips and most offered advice on spots to avoid and stretches where a particlar side of the river would be easier to navigate.

One final but important point is to check your insurance. I found afterwards that mine includes a clause which states that.. "I must not do anything which would endanger the craft". It is likley that they insurance company would consider ignoring red boards breached this.

That's a nasty little clause and could mean just about anything.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent stuff Kieth, exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks!

This is entirely consistent with my experience this weekend. I checked the river at Sonning on Friday and decided it was looking slack and decided to set out on Saturday. On Saturday things had livened up considerably but after finding I had enough power to tow a stricken NB I encountered a mile upstream to safety, I decided to carry on. On Sunday morning the stream had quickened again so I decided to moor up on the next available secure mooring and sit it out.

I need to get off the Thames and onto my new mooring on the Oxford before the weather deteriorates further and the red boards come out for winter, and before the stoppage at Slatt Mill lock on the Oxford add further delay.

I can totally believe this, having watched a faster boat than mine really struggle to get through the bridge late yesterday afternoon.

Did you manage to get away this week Mike?

Saw your boat opposite Christchurch Meadow when we came down with Nuneaton and Brighton on Tuesday.

Keith

We are stuck on the Thames right now, trying to get to the K&A.

I am really glad that there are knowledgeable and experienced lock keepers about.

There is a huge amount of water going over the sluices and it convinces me that this is not something that should ever be run by a strapped for cash charity!

A couple of nights ago heavy rain increased the level about 8 inches overnight, and I have heard that lock keepers were making sluice adjustments at 3 in the morning. If CaRT really think they can run the Thames with 8 (demoralised) lock keepers they are deluded!

Today we made a dash (literally) from just below Days lock to Benson. It was Just off red boards. Most was easy but one bend needed full power to avoid getting pushed into the trees. However getting into Benson was not good. I hugged the inside of the bend but the flow still took the boat sideways and it was heart in mouth full power to get into the lock cut. I would certainly hope that red boards take account of both "open sluices" and navigational hazards on a particular reach.

..........Dave

I've been waiting on the Oxford since 11th oct. the boards have been red each day , (all but once) at osney lock.

Want to get to reading, hoping to winter on the kennet and Avon

Lock keepers reckon this little stretch here to be the worst.

I see rain is forecast tomorrow then rest of week dry. So fingers crossed ill get through before the closures.

I've heard there has been several crashes and either Brighton or Nuneaton went aground ? Somewhere? Anyone know?

There seem to be a few boaters moored here that are new to rivers, Me included.

I came down the short bit of Cherwell on red ( I felt I had no choice) the boat handled fine and with a good feeling of speed. Felt bloody great !

. But I ain't going on here at the Thames on red. Too much going on.

Oxfords not a bad place to be stuck! I'll wait. Catching up on my reading.

But I ain't going on here at the Thames on red. Too much going on.

Yeah the visions of pinwheeling down past the collages wiping out racing 8s before diving over a weir would probably get to me as well. Nice place to be stuck though, at a guess they are waving the 48 second no return ever landmine covered vistor mooring restrictions?

Now I know why anchors are a good idea even on non tidal :blush:

And a big thank to Mike B for offering to pilot for my SO if we hadn't been able to get up past Osney before I needed to go to work.

Edited by oarfish

I've been waiting on the Oxford since 11th oct. the boards have been red each day , (all but once) at osney lock.

I see rain is forecast tomorrow then rest of week dry. So fingers crossed ill get through before the closures.

I've heard there has been several crashes and either Brighton or Nuneaton went aground ? Somewhere? Anyone know?

There seem to be a few boaters moored here that are new to rivers, Me included.

I came down the short bit of Cherwell on red ( I felt I had no choice) the boat handled fine and with a good feeling of speed. Felt bloody great !

. But I ain't going on here at the Thames on red. Too much going on.

Oxfords not a bad place to be stuck! I'll wait. Catching up on my reading.

Yes, Osney went to yellow for just a few hours a couple of days ago and we made a dash for the K&A, we stopped for the night just below Days and the rain and flow caught up with us. Don't risk it on Reds. After todays experiences I would rather wait till "well into the yellow".

The stoppage at Whitchurch lock has been put back a week so you still have a very good chance of making the K&A.

I have heard that two narrowboats have got into difficulty, and there are an estimated 30 boats trying to get down, some in Oxford, some on the Thames.

Turning into Sheepwash is tricky (We poled the front part way round then went for it, but thats tricky if your single handed), they are sending a lot of flow that way. Getting down to Osney will be fine if you can get them to get the lock ready, but otherwise stopping on the lock landing is not good. We got them to get the lock ready but a plastic thing moored above the lock turned 180 as we approached and took the lock. Getting onto the lock landing was difficult!!!!!!!!!

I also suggest that you take the right hand "back water" route under Folly bridge even if the lock keeper tells you otherwise. The flow was very low and the moored Salters steamer looks much less traumatic from the water than it does from the "land". Walk down and have a look and then a couple of pints in that big posh pub...its actually very friendly.

It does feel good going downstream on deep water (till you need to stop). We did x.x mph today (secret cus it broke the speed limit quite a bit)

Dave and Gillie on Vox (now stuck at Benson Lock)

I also suggest that you take the right hand "back water" route under Folly bridge even if the lock keeper tells you otherwise. The flow was very low and the moored Salters steamer looks much less traumatic from the water than it does from the "land". Walk down and have a look and then a couple of pints in that big posh pub...its actually very friendly.

It does feel good going downstream on deep water (till you need to stop). We did x.x mph today (secret cus it broke the speed limit quite a bit)

Dave and Gillie on Vox (now stuck at Benson Lock)

I'm glad you said that. I have walked down and wondered if to take that route it might slow you down and bring you out nice and calmly(calmer!) than going under the big bridge. I imagine shooting through there and taking out all them hire boats!

Yea deep waters cool.

Have been watching other boats approaching and leaving osney lock to see how to and how not! To do it. I'm single handed so the stopping and tying up is the worrier on quicker water.

Thanks for the other pointers. Cheers

Edited by Goliath

Yes, Brighton got caught on some mud just above Folly Bridge where the hire punts are normally kept. There's a tricky back eddy as you turn and the wind was blowing strongly in the same direction. Had the Devil's own job getting her off again. With hindsight,I should have taken the right hand channel.

Keith

Yep, we're in Banbury now!

I missed you yesterday. It wasn't until you'd gone past that I realised it was you (or not as the case may be). I was expecting to have seen you a lot earlier

We crossed path's about a mile below Allens lock (Upper Heyford). Must have been about mid afternoon. I was expecting to see both of you, but you were obviously inside in the warm leaving Mike to himself on the stern. We were stern to stern before my brain registered the boat name.

You did we to get to Banbury before dark ;)

Good to meet Mike and Starcoaster in Thrupp, although I think I may have developed engine envy...

Only a window wave from us I'm sorry. It was getting a tad cold and I wanted to get back to the mooring.

I'll stop for a chat some time when it's a bit warmer ;)

I'm glad you said that. I have walked down and wondered if to take that route it might slow you down and bring you out nice and calmly(calmer!) than going under the big bridge. I imagine shooting through there and taking out all them hire boats!

Yea deep waters cool.

Have been watching other boats approaching and leaving osney lock to see how to and how not! To do it. I'm single handed so the stopping and tying up is the worrier on quicker water.

Thanks for the other pointers. Cheers

Actually you would probably be OK either way under Folly, its our length that makes the left channel even less attractive. Its quite a tight turn to get round the other "Steamer" (yes Salters have boats partly blocking both channels) and if the flow did take the back then, as you say, there is that fleet of moored plastic hire boats right in the line of fire. The right channel was surprisingly slow flowing but there was an unexpected push to the right immediately after the bridge which put me slightly into the overhanging shrubs...but then this does give a bit more space to swing the stern to get past the moored steamer! News here is that the flow is stabilised but no longer falling so little chance of moving for the next couple of days.

I have heard that the Whitchurch Lock stoppage is now delayed till 5th Nov. which is good news.

............Dave

Like Dave, I scooted through Osney as it went yellow last Wednesday. I went to the left and past the "Heads of the River" pub. I had no problem getting round that way (I'm 70ft) but did worry a little day launch that was coming upstream just at the wrong moment!

It looks from the EA website as if the lock closures at Abingdon and Whitchurch have been delayed and now start on 5th Nov. Link

If you are heading up the K&A like me, remember that Sheffield Lock at Theale is closed from 5th - 19th November.

I'm sitting at Abingdon at the moment waiting for a chance to get down through the Culham-Clifton stretch that is still red, but things are looking up as a Salters trip boat full of kids has just gone down that way so it must be improving.

Rik

Actually you would probably be OK either way under Folly, its our length that makes the left channel even less attractive. Its quite a tight turn to get round the other "Steamer" (yes Salters have boats partly blocking both channels) and if the flow did take the back then, as you say, there is that fleet of moored plastic hire boats right in the line of fire. The right channel was surprisingly slow flowing but there was an unexpected push to the right immediately after the bridge which put me slightly into the overhanging shrubs...but then this does give a bit more space to swing the stern to get past the moored steamer! News here is that the flow is stabilised but no longer falling so little chance of moving for the next couple of days.

I have heard that the Whitchurch Lock stoppage is now delayed till 5th Nov. which is good news.

............Dave

Yea I had a look on web Iffley closes on the 1st and Abingdon the 5th with Whitchurch.

Do you have a mooring on the K&A?

I'm wanting to winter down there to work on the boat. Any ideas for a reasonably priced marina that I can use on an 'on and off' kind of basis. Maybe near Devises?

I used Alvecote, in Tamworth , in the early summer. Ideal for coming and going and paying only when I used it.

I'll still cruise about and explore the k&a but a safe base to leave a boat would be useful.

I might put this out on another topic. It seems there are a few who like to head there for the winter.

Glenn

Only a window wave from us I'm sorry. It was getting a tad cold and I wanted to get back to the mooring.

I'll stop for a chat some time when it's a bit warmer ;)

It sounds like a good excuse for a pint by a warm fire...not that I generally need any excuses.

Any of you that are stuck waiting are you paying any mooring fees ? On the thames that is.

Still on the canal. I was on a 24 hour mooring for a week and now been four days on a 48 hr(?) I think, I ain't looked. No ones said anything. I guess C&RT do make allowances. Ain't got much choice have they. Or us.

Edited by Goliath

............Dave

A word of warning on the right hand channel (heading down stream) through Folly bridge. It's not unknown for a Steamer to be moored up in it. Hardly ever in the Summmer, but in the Winter when they're all back over Wintering at Oxford it may be there 'doing something'. They shouldn't, because it's a navigation channel, but it has been known :o

Any of you that are stuck waiting are you paying any mooring fees ? On the thames that is.

Still on the canal. I was on a 24 hour mooring for a week and now been four days on a 48 hr(?) I think, I ain't looked. No ones said anything. I guess C&RT do make allowances. Ain't got much choice have they. Or us.

I don't know of any lockies that would charge to moor at Thames locks when the river is on red boards. They want to discourage people from moving

Obviously marinas and other private moorings may have a different stance

I'm moored on the 24hr visitors moorings above Abingdon lock. The lock keeper has told me that mooring charges and visitors licenses are suspended from the time the river goes red until it is safe to move again and as it is he who levies the charges I'm hopeful that I'll get to the K&A without having to part with any more of my hard earned cash.

Rik

I'm moored on the 24hr visitors moorings above Abingdon lock. The lock keeper has told me that mooring charges and visitors licenses are suspended from the time the river goes red until it is safe to move again and as it is he who levies the charges I'm hopeful that I'll get to the K&A without having to part with any more of my hard earned cash.

Rik

They will expect you to move in a reasonable time as soon as it is safe to do so though (ie. when they go back to yellow)

A word of warning on the right hand channel (heading down stream) through Folly bridge. It's not unknown for a Steamer to be moored up in it. Hardly ever in the Summmer, but in the Winter when they're all back over Wintering at Oxford it may be there 'doing something'. They shouldn't, because it's a navigation channel, but it has been known :o

That would be a rotten thing to do as you would be well past the point of no return by the time you saw it.

We did walk down to Folly the night before to make sure that everything was OK, but I suppose if they moved after that....

Perhaps worse is the rowing boats who play on that section of the river and appear to have little concept of the stopping power (or not) of a narrowboat.

.........Dave