Angling match pegged on lock moorings!

Jim Riley

Featured Posts

I do not understand. Somebody throws maggots onto, or into your home, and you simply walk away?? I really would like to see an angler try that one day. He will be invited to make a choice. Come aboard, and remove each and every maggot from my boat. Or go to hospital.

I do not understand. Somebody throws maggots onto, or into your home, and you simply walk away?? I really would like to see an angler try that one day. He will be invited to make a choice. Come aboard, and remove each and every maggot from my boat. Or go to hospital.

The tiny little maggots that anglers chuck are harmless - they think they are intimidating you when they do it, but the laughable thing is they don't realise it is a pointless exercise.

The tiny little maggots that anglers chuck are harmless - they think they are intimidating you when they do it, but the laughable thing is they don't realise it is a pointless exercise.

Harmless in which way? They don't spawn flies? They don't multiply in difficult to reach corners?

Or, are we missing a basic point here? Maggots, bricks, or shit. Anybody throwi g anything, at my home, will be treated like a piece of shit, and dealt with accordingly. They clean up, or suffer.

Really, maggots are harmless, so lets leave them to it??

I "walked away" as I didn't want to end up dealing with the Police, Yes I was bloody furious, but with the grand-daughter around seeing growing men fighting is not a good role model.

Harmless in which way? They don't spawn flies? They don't multiply in difficult to reach corners?

Or, are we missing a basic point here? Maggots, bricks, or shit. Anybody throwi g anything, at my home, will be treated like a piece of shit, and dealt with accordingly. They clean up, or suffer.

Really, maggots are harmless, so lets leave them to it??

Yes, Luc it's about perspective and keeping it.

A conviction for assault is just not worth it.

I "walked away" as I didn't want to end up dealing with the Police, Yes I was bloody furious, but with the grand-daughter around seeing growing men fighting is not a good role model.

Fair enough, and on the whole I agree with your sentiment, but on the other hand, what do you teach a child, by turning the other cheek, in the face of such crass and insulting behaviour? Let people walk all over you?

I teach my daugther to walk away when somebody calls her names, but if somebody hits here, to hit back.

Yes, Luc it's about perspective and keeping it.

A conviction for assault is just not worth it.

So, what does the 'law' call throwing maggots into your home?

And how does the 'law' deal with it?

So, what does the 'law' call throwing maggots into your home?

And how does the 'law' deal with it?

I can attempt to answer this - our next door neighbour has a conviction for assault after he threw maggots into the reception of a caravan site he was staying on, it followed a dispute over the costs of fishing in their lake from memory.

I thought it was supposed to be relaxing hobby?

Clearly you are not a competitive angler.

Competitive angling has nothing to do with 'relaxation', and everything to do with catching more fish than anybody else and winning substantial amounts of prize money.

Generally, YOU (boater) are the reason they failed to catch the fish that would have won them the £500 prize money, so they have every justification to be pissed off with you*.

Trouble is, every fisherman believes 100% of the time they are on the brink of catching 'the big one'. Therefore when you come along in your boat and interrupt, YOU are obviously to blame for their failure.

*in that strange world of an angler's mind.

Oxford English Dictionary

angler's mind Pronunciation: /ˈaŋglərs mynd

Definition of angler's mind

noun

• angler : - - a person who fishes with a rod and line: a carp angler(sic)
  • angler's mind : Oxymoron

So when they use the carp poles right across the cut, do they have a long mynd ??? Or is that something else...

320px-Long_Mynd_from_Little_Stretton.jpg

Here in the fens EA moorings have no fishing signs but again anglers dont seem to see them.

Phil

The funny thing is they seem to be able to understand the ones warning them of overhead power lines.....queer innit?

update - reply from CaRT -

Good morning

Thanks for your email and I’m sorry to hear of the trouble that you had whilst trying to navigate along the canal. I have passed your complaint onto John Ellis our National Fisheries & Angling Manager for him to investigate and respond directly to you

And thanks to admin for sorting my bad typing!

And you expect all his angling mates to sit idly by while you teach their colleague a lesson he won't forget and later give evidence on your behalf?

As both a fisher and a boater i find this thread rather a disapointment.

Ian.

I can understand your disappointment . . . .

But it pays to be positive....... you'll feel better for looking at the brighter side of the situation

......You could always give up fishing dry.gif

Edited by Grace & Favour

As both a fisher and a boater i find this thread rather a disapointment.

Ian.

While you may find some of the posts disappointing surely the thread itself is a worthy cause. I have been highly restrained in my posts, far more restrained than when confronted by carelessly pegged anglers*. I find it disappointing that the fishing match was pegged out in an incompetent fashion, certainly not within the guidelines. What is your position on the topic, as both a fisherman and a boater?

*I did indulge in one subtle dig at odd anglers..... oops I've done it again, a missing "the" and a plural noun! My apologies.

edited because I can and I missed a crucial *

Edited by Jim Riley

Sorry for the late reply beer cans fishing line plastic bags.

Les

Throwing that stuff in the cut or hiding it in the hedge is completely out of order. People who do that aren't 'anglers' they are pratts. There are also plenty of boaters who fit into the same category judging by the amount of boat related crap you see dumped on occasions.

I'm a boater and a fisherman, if find this thread quite amusing from a fishermans point of view and with some disbelief from a boaters standpoint.

Most of the accusations of anglers fishing where they shouldn't, on lock moorings, or besde 'no fishing' signs , leaving litter etc etc, fair enough it happens but if they are illiterate or perhaps stupid or indeed ignorant as has been indicated on this thread, then perhaps boaters should just hold their hands up and admit the same, just a short walk up the bank from the car park to my boats, one boat moored on the water point one on private moorings three boats overstaying on the 48hr visitor moorings and more rubbish on the bank than i've ever seen in any of the hundreds of fishing matches i've fished. Thats the story of just the local boats here over just 400 yrds of canal. If you wish other examples i am confident of finding a similar scene this weekend on my travels.

This whole thread developed from a sensible well founded complaint into display of apparant insecurity from boaters, are you really that scared of anglers that you need to get together on a thread as a gang just to give them a good shoeing from tha safety of your keyboards :rolleyes:

Like it or not canals are a shared facility and i would think they will always be that way in our lifetimes.

Actually some of you must have angling in your blood, even though you cast the smelliest, most rotten bait in tnto the pond you still got a bite :lol: