Stovetop kettles

Monsoon merchant

Featured Posts

Just googled it.

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Traditional-Kettles.aspx

What's the handle made of?

I can boil my stainless kettle on my stove but I wouldn't leave it there because it has a plastic handle. Perhaps the plastic is ok, but also if you leave it on the stove top one day it's bound to boil dry.

Edited by blackrose

I have a Le Crueset kettle that sits quite happily on the top of my stove. Mine is the conical shape one and I picked it up for £5 on a local flea market. I have no way of knowing how old it is but it has an odd chip to the external enamel around the lid and rim so it is no spring chicken and it has not rusted inside

The handle is some sort of compound and has not suffered from being on the stove top (although I would not allow it to touch the chimney)

When on the stove I keep it really full to stop the entire surface area of the kettle venting via the spout so much of the vapour inside simply runs down inside the kettle rather than venting out adding to condensation in the boat.

When on the hob I use the whistle

ETA - I also have a trivet so I can raise the kettle off the stove top a little and it keeps hot but does not boil. This is ideal if you plan to leave the boat to go to the shops, pub etc and you will have an almost boiling kettle of water ready when you get back

Edited by cheshire~rose

Judge.

Similar in shape to the Le Creuset "Kone" kettle (wider at the bottom, therefore more stable) but less expensive. Why should a plastic handle make a difference? It is sevral inches above the heat source (the hob) and so should not be affected. These kettles are, after all, designed to stand on hobs.

Judge.

Similar in shape to the Le Creuset "Kone" kettle (wider at the bottom, therefore more stable) but less expensive. Why should a plastic handle make a difference? It is sevral inches above the heat source (the hob) and so should not be affected. These kettles are, after all, designed to stand on hobs.

I would just add that as our stove is a tiny little Villager Puffin the surface of the stove is quite small and this is something the opening poster should consider when choosing their kettle.

I personally cannot imagine anything being more stable than the kettle I have. Anythng with a larger bottom would just cover more of the stove (meaning I could not fit my kettle AND my ecofan on it at the same time)

We manufacture range cookers and hence we test a lot of kettles! Our ranges have solid cast iron cooking plates - so pretty much like a stove top. The best by far is the kettle by Piquot Ware - it is a classic shape and has a large, thick, flat bottom so in terms of heat transfer, it is ideal.

The bad news is the price - about £135, but you would have it for life and it can be re-polished, re-hendled etc. They do come up on ebay cheaper sometimes

http://www.millyskitchenstore.co.uk/Picquot-Ware-K3-Kettle-1.7lt-Product-10385.html?gclid=CPv9p7ry5rICFeTLtAodlEUAjA

It's good to hear the opinion of a professional, thanks for bringing attention to the Picquot kettle.

Whoever runs the Milly's Kit web site is not good at maths: RRP £160, their price £135, and they claim a "£15 reduction"?

Which range cookers do you make?

It's good to hear the opinion of a professional, thanks for bringing attention to the Picquot kettle.

Whoever runs the Milly's Kit web site is not good at maths: RRP £160, their price £135, and they claim a "£15 reduction"?

Which range cookers do you make?

Ours are the EVERHOT range (www.everhot.co.uk) - they run off a 13A electric supply; have spent years trying to find a good marine use for them, but apart from a couple of big Dutch barges with good onboard power generation, I have never really found a solution for the narrowboat market.

Picquot was that range of stuff that everyone's granny had - sugar bowl. teapot and milk jug all on a matching tray. The kettles are awesome, but with a price to match! I think we charge about £135 for them.

Something to look out for in charity shops and at boot fairs, by the sound of it.

(I do mean Newmaid/ Picquot ware, not your Everhot ranges, by the way!)

Edited by Athy

Something to look out for in charity shops and at boot fairs, by the sound of it.

(I do mean Newmaid/ Picquot ware, not your Everhot ranges, by the way!)

I have, in the past had a number of the tea/coffee set items including the tray pass through, buying at antique fairs, car boots etc and selling on ebay. I have never had a kettle but I do know just how lovely this range is.

A few months back I happened to spot a complete coffee set with tray in good condition on the stock room floor of the charity shop I volunteer at and checked the manager was aware of the potential value of it. She thought it was just an ordinary stainless steel 1960's set (until she picked it up and felt the weight and quality and if I had not been there to advise she was likely to put a price ticket on it of around £5-£8 she said. They are an item that not everyone knows the value (until now) of so worth keeping an eye open for

PHEEEEEEEEEEEEee!!! I don't think you can beat a simple old fashioned all metal camping type whistling kettle. A domed top one for best efficiency ''aluminium'' with a proper removable whistle. If an all soldered together tin one so much the better for if you happen to nod off and it boils dry it will simply revert itself back into its original kit form when the solder melts leaving you with a pleasant little job of soldering it back together again, this happened to me once i still have that kettle.

Their metal handles can easily be made into cool to handle ones by tightly winding ordinary string around it and then painting or varnishing it to seal it.

These brilliant old kettles can still be found at car boots and the like for a few coppers. :closedeyes:

PHEEEEEEEEEEEEee!!! I don't think you can beat a simple old fashioned all metal camping type whistling kettle. A domed top one for best efficiency ''aluminium'' with a proper removable whistle. If an all soldered together tin one so much the better for if you happen to nod off and it boils dry it will simply revert itself back into its original kit form when the solder melts leaving you with a pleasant little job of soldering it back together again, this happened to me once i still have that kettle.

Their metal handles can easily be made into cool to handle ones by tightly winding ordinary string around it and then painting or varnishing it to seal it.

These brilliant old kettles can still be found at car boots and the like for a few coppers. :closedeyes:

sadly most aluminium "camping" type kettles have a lip around the base which means they do not stand flat on the stove and never heat up properly. If you can get hold of flat bottomed ones the old ones are usually the best!

sadly most aluminium "camping" type kettles have a lip around the base which means they do not stand flat on the stove and never heat up properly. If you can get hold of flat bottomed ones the old ones are usually the best!

Ah yes, coal stoves,i use an ex BR 2 litre flat bottomed stainless steel hot water jug on that,''no whistle though''. The camping ones i use on the gas stove.

Blimey! Some of you don't mind spending big money on your designer kettles!

This stainless kettle cost me 15 quid new.

I've never left it on the stove longer than about an hour because I'm naturally cautious, but perhaps the handle would be ok if I just left it there. I'll give it a try.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMDA0LTAwMDMxLmpwZw.jpg

It's got a good thick bottom - I don't think you need to spend a lot of money for a decent kettle.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMDA0LTAwMDMyLmpwZw.jpg

Edited by blackrose

This stainless kettle cost me 15 quid new.

I've never left it on the stove longer than about an hour because I'm naturally cautious, but perhaps the handle would be ok if I just left it there. I'll give it a try.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMDA0LTAwMDMxLmpwZw.jpg

It's got a good thick bottom - I don't think you need to spend a lot of money for a decent kettle.

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTIxMDA0LTAwMDMyLmpwZw.jpg

My wife ses she doesn't believe yer live on yer own,that cooker and kettle is tooooo clean.

Hi

We are looking for a good solid stovetop kettle that will sit happily on top of the solid fuel stove, but can also be boiled up on the gas hob when required. We really like the Le Creuset traditional kettle, but have read quite a few reviews that these rust inside. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks

Hi

I have found AGA kettles to be simply the best available.

Tim

My whole Piquot ware tea and coffee set (Kettle, teapot, coffee pot, milk jug and sugar bowl) was £8 from the Rugby auction house.

Some of these prices quoted for something to boil a couple of pints of water are eye watering.

My wife ses she doesn't believe yer live on yer own,that cooker and kettle is tooooo clean.

Tell your wife some blokes are clean too!

Oh come on, how much mess does a pot noodle make?

I seem to eat stir-fries every night. No matter what I start cooking, somehow it ends up as a stir-fry...

Edited by blackrose