Smartgauge fixing

Bod

Featured Posts

This may be a question that has not come up recently.

I've fitted a Smartgauge, connected the wires, via fuses, direct from the battery terminals, now how do I get the thing to stay in the square mounting hole?

Screw through the surround? Glue in?

How did you fix yours?

Bod

This may be a question that has not come up recently.

I've fitted a Smartgauge, connected the wires, via fuses, direct from the battery terminals, now how do I get the thing to stay in the square mounting hole?

Screw through the surround? Glue in?

How did you fix yours?

Bod

Oh!

I cut the hole for mine with an interference fit, it simply stays put :blush:

Mine had the holes drilled only half way through from the back, so I had to drill them through.

I reckon this is a cunning plot in case it goes wrong....

"We can't replace this under warrantee...look! you've drilled holes in it."

Reminds me of the allegedly true story of a woman who took a teapot back to Habitat because the glaze had cracked...

"Madam, We can't replace this, you've obviously been putting boiling water into it"

...........Dave

Mine is screwed in, 4 screws, 1 in each corner. I don't remember drilling the holes, didnt it come with them?, you were diddled!

Steve

No he wasn't. You were diddled out of four holes worth of plastic.

N

Mine had the holes drilled only half way through from the back, so I had to drill them through.

I reckon this is a cunning plot in case it goes wrong....

"We can't replace this under warrantee...look! you've drilled holes in it."

Reminds me of the allegedly true story of a woman who took a teapot back to Habitat because the glaze had cracked...

"Madam, We can't replace this, you've obviously been putting boiling water into it"

...........Dave

When I fitted ours I phone Mr. Gibbons to query that point. He said it was OK to drill four fixing holes, so I did.

Some people don't like holes in front panels and prefer to fix them in place with double sided tape so we only drill them part way through. Some people prefer screws so you just drill the holes through. It's so bloody obvious we didn't bother putting it in the manual :)

Edited by Gibbo
  • Greenie 2

Some people don't like holes in front panels and prefer to fix them in place with double sided tape so we only drill them part way through. Some people prefer screws so you just drill the holes through. It's so bloody obvious we didn't bother putting it in the manual :)

It may be bloody obvious but as I had read that the warranty would be void if holes were drilled I decided that the best policy would be to check. I don't trust retailers as a matter of course, or manufacturer's warranties either ;)

• 3 months later...

Thanks all

I see a tight square hole, and double sided tape coming.

Bod

I am preparing to fit a Smartgauge - probably using double-sided tape due to the warranty prohibition of drilling. However, as well as not detailing how to mount the device, the "Installation Manual" doesn't give much of a clue regarding WHERE to fit it - other than keeping the leads short. Does anyone have any guidance about location, particularly possible exposure to the elements?

I am preparing to fit a Smartgauge - probably using double-sided tape due to the warranty prohibition of drilling. However, as well as not detailing how to mount the device, the "Installation Manual" doesn't give much of a clue regarding WHERE to fit it - other than keeping the leads short. Does anyone have any guidance about location, particularly possible exposure to the elements?

I just cut a very slightly undersized hole so the plastic case flexes slightly and keeps the SG firm, no need for screws, tape etc. the front panel is probably rain-proof but the back of the case isn't and water could leak past the flange and get into the works, so I would strongly recommend installing it inside the cabn. Generally it is from inside the cabin that you want to know how your batts are doing anyway. Lead length is not critical up to a few metres.

Wouldn't be without mine now!

Should be standard on all boats!

Easy to use, just press any one of 3 buttons, informations there, no faffing about with multimeters, calculators, etc.

Bod