Single Handed Cruising

Bullfrog

Featured Posts

It's worth noting that most people travelling on their own do the 5am - 10am shift and avoid most of the traffic. You also have a much easier time finding a mooring - and even when it's cold/wet travelling at dawn with a fresh hot brew is priceless.

Virtually everyone you meet will be helpful and polite Carrie - that's been my experience anyway. Do things in your own time, in your own way, don't let people harass you. If you feel you're holding people up you can let them pass.

Edited by Breals

Also, number one rule, ALWAYS have a rope ashore when your not on the boat.

- Yes the boat leaves as you open the gate, and you can then shut the gate, and leap on the boat. I do it often with emilyanne.

- However, theres nothing worth than watching the boat sail off without you. Gates a bit stiff, lock exits a bit short, and off it goes.

- I know what that feels like, becuase ive done it. Once. Never again will i not keep a rope ashore!

Fortunatly it was a short, curved, pound. With no boats moored in it.

- So i waited, and got on at the bow as it bumped into the ba nk. My grandad must has seen, he looked at me while i was on the tow path, boat in the middle of the pound! However, he didnt mention a thing. I dont plan to do that again!

Danel

Edited by dhutch

This is how it would have been done (with due credit to my friend Pete Harrison)

Going uphill:

"drive and draw” means that the motor enters a lock with the steerer closing the gates behind it. The steerer then draws both top paddles to fill the lock and then walks on to the next lock, drawing both paddles to empty that lock but leaving the gates shut. By the time the steerer gets back to the previous lock it is just about full. By going into forward gear the motor will start opening the top gate giving the steerer time to wind down both top paddles before getting back on board. When the boat is level with the top gate reverse gear is selected at “steady” revs and the steerer steps off again. The forward momentum of the motor should see it give enough space for the steerer to half close the top gate before the boat reverses into the gate and finishing the job off. Whilst the motor is closing the top gate the steerer is at the other end of the lock drawing the towpath side paddle to empty the lock for the butty. With the paddle drawn the steerer is finished at this lock and takes the motor up to the next lock gently nudging the bottom gates open, it having been emptied by the steerer earlier in the routine. This routine is repeated for the whole flight with the motor only waiting to tow for the longer pounds. Because the motor steerer is drawing off the lock behind him (ready for the butty) the butty does not need a lock wheeler. Instead there is sufficient time for the bow hauler to open the bottom gates as he is 70 feet (if a 90 feet bowhauling line is used) ahead of the butty. The third person steers the butty whilst the fourth (if available) with the butty helps wherever required but always closes the gates as the butty leaves each lock, a job the professional boaters did not have to do.

Going downhil:

“drive and draw” means that the motor enters a lock with the steerer closing the gate behind it, either by strapping using the forward momentum of the boat to shut the top gate with a substantial line or by pulling it by hand. The motor is left in forward gear whilst descending the lock. The steerer then draws one bottom paddle to empty the lock and then walks on to the next lock, drawing both paddles and waiting for the lock to fill. Once full the gate is opened and both paddles wound down. The steerer then walks back to the previous lock, which will now be empty and opens the bottom gates and winds down the paddles. As the motor was left in forward gear it will start moving out of this lock on its own. With some urgency, but without running the towpath side top paddle is drawn. This will cause the motor to be flushed out of the lock (and it is still in forward gear !) so again some urgency will see the steerer drop down onto the engine room roof (the engine room has a flatter and less cluttered roof than the cabin) and back between the hatches in time to select reverse gear to almost stop the motor in line with the bottom gates. The short shaft (or cabin shaft) is then used to push the bottom gates shut, which come shut with a bump as one of the top paddles is already open. This lock is then filling for the butty, the top gate of which can be opened by the bowhauler when he arrives as he is 70 feet ahead of the butty (if a 90 feet bowhauling line is used). The motor steerer then takes his boat to the next lock where he has already opened the top gate earlier in the routine. Again the third person steers the butty and the fourth person (if available) can be used where required but always closes the gates behind the butty as it leaves a lock, a job the professional boaters did not have to do.

Also, number one rule, ALWAYS have a rope ashore when your not on the boat.

- Yes the boat leaves as you open the gate, and you can then shut the gate, and leap on the boat. I do it often with emilyanne.

- However, theres nothing worth than watching the boat sail off without you. Gates a bit stiff, lock exits a bit short, and off it goes.

- I know what that feels like, becuase ive done it. Once. Never again will i not keep a rope ashore!

Happened to me too - I hadn't checked whether there was a set of steps to take me down to the boat, and there wasn't. So I had to LEAP through the air and grab onto the top rail. Which thinking bck on it, was a stupid thing to do anyway. So, never again.

I do go ashore without a rope when exiting a lock uphill - as I exit I put the boat in reverse and when it has just started creeping backwards, step off, close the gate, and casually step back on again before the boat gets too close to the gate. In this situation I am confident the boat can go nowhere but the lock mouth, from where it is easily accessible.

Edited by Breals

Happened to me too - I hadn't checked whether there was a set of steps to take me down to the boat, and there wasn't. So I had to LEAP through the air and grab onto the top rail. Which thinking bck on it, was a stupid thing to do anyway. So, never again.

I do go ashore without a rope when exiting a lock uphill - as I exit I put the boat in reverse and when it has just started creeping backwards, step off, close the gate, and casually step back on again before the boat gets too close to the gate. In this situation I am confident the boat can go nowhere but the lock mouth, from where it is easily accessible.

Similar thing has happened or can happen, when you leave it in gear on tick over either forward or reverse and step off the boat to moor it. Not recommended as its kind of hard to hold a big narrowboat back on a rope when its in gear, and if you are not quick to jump back on it can be away from the back in a few seconds so no chance to get back on. I have had a couple of near misses on this one

Charles

............ So I had to LEAP through the air and grab onto the top rail. Which thinking back on it, was a stupid thing to do anyway............

Especially if the prop was turning...................

A question - I left my engine ticking over and the drive engaged, which had the effect of holding the empty boat against the gate and away from the cill and saved me from wrestling with the centre line. It seems to work well - is this a 'correct' thing to do?

I was shown this by an old boatman (Esme Dowling) at the first lock I ever took a boat through, it is standard practice for locking through a narrow lock. You should never need to use mooring lines in a narrow lock.

Just be careful though as you'll find as it nears the top the fender will on a rare occasion, hook under the hand rail.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

But why all this clambering up and down lock ladders, it is unnecessary and can be dangerous.

I move my boat sigle handed most of the time.

Sometimes when going uphill on the canal I put the bow into the lock in neutral moving very slowly & step off the boat with a centre rope & windlass and then walk up the stairs using the boat's momentum to take it into the lock. Then I stop the boat on a bollard with the centre rope.

But you sometimes have to be quick with the rope to get it over the balance beam & the gate & on some locks it's safer not to try this because the stairs go out at right angles to the lock entrance rather than being parallel, and you'd have to throw the rope over a high embankment wall. In this case it's much safer to take the boat into the lock and stop it on the engine and use the ladder to get out. That's what it's there for after all.

I'm always very appreciative of any help that's offered when I'm moving on my own, be that from other boaters, onlookers, or lockkeepers on the Thames. These big manned locks can be a bit of a problem single handed. If I'm the only boat in the lock it's ok as they'll usually let me use the centre rope but this is a rare occurence especially in summer when everyone's moving about. My boat's pretty big and it wouldn't be safe for plastic boats alongside in the lock if I were only using the centre rope as the bow or stern can move about. Should I be linking bow & stern ropes on the Thames?

Edited by blackrose

Ok, now seems the right moment to admit I'm scared stiff of the moment I go solo!

At the moment I have my daughter with me, but when she starts Uni in September - gulp - that's the moment of reckoning.

I've got the 'Going Solo' booklet and am of course, a very polite person, grateful for any help but if you happen to meet me on the water and I'm not doing everything you think I ought to be, well it's just lack of experience and not laziness! People are welcome to point out constructive things to me, or ways around the problem - much more helpful than having a rant :angry:

By the way, if you have the engine in tickover against the front gate, won't she wander off without you as you open the gate?! (told you I was learning)

When starting out on your own the main thing is to do everything very slowly or even slower. This gives you more time to think about what you're doing and also to recognise & rectify mistakes before they happen. Also if you can, choose a time to move when there aren't too many other boats moving about.

Personally I don't like leaving my engine in gear when I'm not on the boat, but I'm sure it can be done safetly if you know what you're doing. I once stepped off the boat at the front of Teddington lock thinking the engine was in neutral when in fact it was still in forward in tickover. With the front fender pushing against the the gate I struggled with the centre rope to stop the stern moving across the lock and crushing a plastic boat which had pulled up allongside. I managed to hold it but I couldn't move - either to get back on the boat or to tie off to a bollard, and I had to shout to the other boater to ask him to jump on board to take it out of gear in order to save his boat. Highly embarrassing!

I thanked him profusely and mumbled something about the morse control getting caught in my pocket as I stepped off the boat, but he just glared at me. :(

By the way, what is the Going Solo booklet and where do I get one? (I've been going solo for a few years but I'm not averse to suggestions - we're all learning.)

Edited by blackrose

• 2 weeks later...

When starting out on your own the main thing is to do everything very slowly or even slower. This gives you more time to think about what you're doing and also to recognise & rectify mistakes before they happen. Also if you can, choose a time to move when there aren't too many other boats moving about.

[snip]

I discovered the truth in this statement last Saturday. Originally I had planned to have some crew aboard, but things changed and I found myself single-handed. I do a fair bit of solo boating, so I just attached a centre line and smooched up the cut. First lock is a bit of a swine, but I leap off the boat and up the ladder clutching my faithful centre line. Wrap said line round bollard, and gently start opening nearside paddle. Boat wobbles about a bit, but my rope doesn't move at the bollard so all looks good.

Dear reader - the most doom-ridden sound in the world is not the clinking of the Grim Reaper's scythe, nor is it the muffled click of a shotgun being cocked. It is the triumphant TWANG as one's hurriedly tied centre line parts company with one's boat.

John

I discovered the truth in this statement last Saturday. Originally I had planned to have some crew aboard, but things changed and I found myself single-handed. I do a fair bit of solo boating, so I just attached a centre line and smooched up the cut. First lock is a bit of a swine, but I leap off the boat and up the ladder clutching my faithful centre line. Wrap said line round bollard, and gently start opening nearside paddle. Boat wobbles about a bit, but my rope doesn't move at the bollard so all looks good.

Dear reader - the most doom-ridden sound in the world is not the clinking of the Grim Reaper's scythe, nor is it the muffled click of a shotgun being cocked. It is the triumphant TWANG as one's hurriedly tied centre line parts company with one's boat.

John

That centre rope is your lifeline when you're on your own. Why not just make it a permanent fixture?

My centre rope cleat is too close to a mushroom vent which lies about a foot astern. Instead of awkwardly trying to flick the rope over the mushroom from one side to the other, I ended up putting two centre ropes on the cleat and laying these down either side of the roof to the stern. That way I can just grab a rope whichever side I'm coming in on. It makes sense if you've got fittings in the way or other stuff on the roof.

Edited by blackrose

Similiarly, we have two centre lines but instead of them going back on either side of the boat we've got one running forwards and one running astern... just in case!

We do have the exhaust stack on the roof, but a simple flick soon sorts that out.

• 5 months later...

Sometimes I'll wait for another boat to come by because it's easier with two, especially on a flight. If it's another solo boater we'll share the task equally; but if a boat has a full crew they might volunteer to work the lock while I stay in the cabin. That's always appreciated - although not expected - and it goes without saying that a thank you and a wave is in order.

On the Thames I got used to using both bow and stern ropes and often do this on the canals, especially on deeper locks where the boat is more prone to go wandering. It takes a few minutes longer that way but I feel more in control.

Everyone needs someone to complain about and for me it's hire boaters, especially when they're in a rush to get back to base. I had one such boat race ahead to the next lock, zoom in and close the gates before I could reach them, just because they were worried it was getting dark and they were going to be late with the boat. They saw me coming and urging each other to speed up, while I honked the horn in annoyance. Maybe they didn't know a lock fits two boats?

Another hire boater tried to overtake me coming up to a small bridge, then didn't tie their boat up in the lock. I had to shout at them that it was drifting into the cill, to which they just shrugged.

Sometimes I'll wait for another boat to come by because it's easier with two, especially on a flight. If it's another solo boater we'll share the task equally; but if a boat has a full crew they might volunteer to work the lock while I stay in the cabin. That's always appreciated - although not expected - and it goes without saying that a thank you and a wave is in order.

On the Thames I got used to using both bow and stern ropes and often do this on the canals, especially on deeper locks where the boat is more prone to go wandering. It takes a few minutes longer that way but I feel more in control.

Everyone needs someone to complain about and for me it's hire boaters, especially when they're in a rush to get back to base. I had one such boat race ahead to the next lock, zoom in and close the gates before I could reach them, just because they were worried it was getting dark and they were going to be late with the boat. They saw me coming and urging each other to speed up, while I honked the horn in annoyance. Maybe they didn't know a lock fits two boats?

Another hire boater tried to overtake me coming up to a small bridge, then didn't tie their boat up in the lock. I had to shout at them that it was drifting into the cill, to which they just shrugged.

I used to regularly move Lucy (and whichever motor I was using at the time) on my own. As long as you take your time, plan carefully, and only let people past if they promise to set every lock for you after they've been through ('tongue in cheek smiley' but it's always worth an ask) it's fairly straight forward. The worst thing is that you can't share a lock and split the work (and the work's doubled of course), but I have had people take their boats up a flight and then they walk back and help me. And, even better, you can guarantee that more than one pint will be bought for the 'looney with the two wooden boats' when I finally moor up.

Oh, and I never close gates behind me, which has resulted in a few rows in the past.

Edited by carlt

The worst thing is that you can't share a lock and split the work (and the work's doubled of course),

Oh, and I never close gates behind me, which has resulted in a few rows in the past.

First part - I love doing as much lock work as I can.

second part :cheers:

The 'exit gate question'. That's like the 'does god exist' question, people just can't agree on it.

The 'exit gate question'. That's like the 'does god exist' question, people just can't agree on it.

When your motor is chugging away up the cut while you're desperately trying to catch up, bow hauling a butty, the gate question is not open for debate.

When someone has just run the whole length of a flight to have a go at me for leaving the gates open, the gate question is not open for debate.

When I'm single handing just a motor, and it's tickover out of the lock is slow enough, then I'll close gates behind me.

When your motor is chugging away up the cut while you're desperately trying to catch up, bow hauling a butty, the gate question is not open for debate.

When someone has just run the whole length of a flight to have a go at me for leaving the gates open, the gate question is not open for debate.

When I'm single handing just a motor, and it's tickover out of the lock is slow enough, then I'll close gates behind me.

If I saw someone single handed with a boat and a butty I would just not expect them to close the gates, in fact I would catch up and volunteer to do it for them, and I would send the kids on ahead and get them to do ALL of the gate work.

Actually I do close exit gates on all narrow locks because a narrow canal pound has a low water capacity. However I do tend to leave exit gates open on the wide locks. Obviously if there is excessive leakage, low pounds it's a different story, you have to look around you but when someone says "won't you be annoyed if you get to a lock and the other end gates are open?" I'd just point out that I'm leaving them like that and I'd rather do the closing of the gates when my boat is tied up ready for the lock anyway rather than stopping AFTER the lock has been completed.

"won't you be annoyed if you get to a lock and the other end gates are open?" I'd just point out that I'm leaving them like that and I'd rather do the closing of the gates when my boat is tied up ready for the lock anyway rather than stopping AFTER the lock has been completed.

And I'm always happy to pass a boat coming the other way, having left the gates open.

The funniest I had on the G.U. was when an old boy asked me why I wasn't sharing the lock. After I pointed out to him how difficult it was, as I had two, full-length boats, he simply said 'Don't you think that's a bit selfish'. He had a straight face, I was in tears with laughing so much.

I think it may be apparent why these lone boaters are indeed alone!

I had my first attempt at a solo run through a flight of locks at the weekend (Middlewich) - the first few I was on my own, which was a challenge, but then I met some crewed boats who were very helpful - and yes I was both helpful and appreciative towards them, they made the job much easier for me.

A question - I left my engine ticking over and the drive engaged, which had the effect of holding the empty boat against the gate and away from the cill and saved me from wrestling with the centre line. It seems to work well - is this a 'correct' thing to do?

Just right. I used to really enjoy single handing a full length boat on the narrow canals. I didn`t actually want help - I really was quite content! Use the ropes , the gates and the boat itself for all sorts of simple tricks and you`re just working the boat and the canal the way it was actually intended . The strapping posts on lock gates and other such furniture aren`t there for decoration. You can even close gates behind you without too much stress.I`m not being at all an anorak about it - it just makes it so much more satisfying if you recognize and learn the appropriate skills - whatever you`re doing.

Cheers

Phil

Just right. I used to really enjoy single handing a full length boat on the narrow canals. I didn`t actually want help - I really was quite content! Use the ropes , the gates and the boat itself for all sorts of simple tricks and you`re just working the boat and the canal the way it was actually intended . The strapping posts on lock gates and other such furniture aren`t there for decoration. You can even close gates behind you without too much stress.I`m not being at all an anorak about it - it just makes it so much more satisfying if you recognize and learn the appropriate skills - whatever you`re doing.

Cheers

Phil

I agree but the trouble is that the lock gates aren't made quite like they were (probably something to do with getting them made by people who haven't got a clue) which causes problems when trying to use them in the most efficient way. Breast irons are now of 1.5 or 2 inch D section rail rather than the proper 3" stuff, which makes breasting the gates much more damaging, lining of gates is now attached by screws not bolts or spikes and the handrails on some locks have been changed so thumblining is either impossible or damages the gates. I think they still use the pot and pin system on the gate pivots but the collar straps are now attached using threaded arms rather than the hog rings and collar keys used before, this means the collars will come loose more readily etc etc. I could go on but I won't.

The other thing is that if everyone strapped the gates shut someone would lift the pivot out and there'd be a days stoppage because of it.

Sorry to be negative...

I`m not sure about this one . I`m on both sides I guess. No-one actually has to work a pair of boats these days. Those who do , even if they`re trying to make a living are doing it out of a lifestyle choice not actual necessity - so , if the general rule is "close the gates" then factor it into your method.I`m firmly of the belief that to some degree or other we`re all pleasure boaters. Don`t get mad yet -that`s only one side of the coin, because on the other hand I think it`s great and even essential that some enthusiasts still move pairs about - so maybe they should be formally excepted when modern practice is too much of an imposition . Difficult isn`t it.

I love the old boats - the proper boats if you want - I`ve carried loose coal with a pair and loved every minute of it - but rightly or wrongly - it`s a leisure canal now and those of us who would see it otherwise are the ones who are out of step. Beyond that the state of some lock gates make it quite important that we keep them closed as much as possible. I wish it was otherwise - but it isn`t. Sad.

Phil

I`m not sure about this one . I`m on both sides I guess. No-one actually has to work a pair of boats these days. Those who do , even if they`re trying to make a living are doing it out of a lifestyle choice not actual necessity - so , if the general rule is "close the gates" then factor it into your method.I`m firmly of the belief that to some degree or other we`re all pleasure boaters. Don`t get mad yet -that`s only one side of the coin, because on the other hand I think it`s great and even essential that some enthusiasts still move pairs about - so maybe they should be formally excepted when modern practice is too much of an imposition . Difficult isn`t it.

I love the old boats - the proper boats if you want - I`ve carried loose coal with a pair and loved every minute of it - but rightly or wrongly - it`s a leisure canal now and those of us who would see it otherwise are the ones who are out of step. Beyond that the state of some lock gates make it quite important that we keep them closed as much as possible. I wish it was otherwise - but it isn`t. Sad.

Phil

Well you've convinced me Phil. Now I'll just nip outside and torch my butty.

Phil

Yes it is difficult and sometimes I wonder if it's more trouble than it's worth.

There's no excuse for boats with two or more onboard not closing the gates but when you're single handed it's not easy - exiting the lock, stopping the boat, tying up to a bollard, going back to the lock, over the closed gates, round the other side to close the gate on the other side (double locks), coming back around and closing the near gate while all the time worrying that some passer by might be knicking stuff from your unattended boat!

Then after all your consciencious efforts as you slowly motor off, you glance back and see the gates have crept open a foot or two behind you. I wonder what the point is sometimes?

Edited by blackrose