If people drove cars like they steer boats....

Chertsey

51 members have voted

1. 1. You are driving down a narrow country lane. It has some narrow points, but generally there is room for two vehicles to pass, with care. Another, possibly larger, vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction. Do you

• Slam on the brakes and slew sideways across the road
    • Stop in one of the narrowest places and expect the oncoming vehicle to drive round you somehow, without scratching your bodywork to
    • Drive into a tree
    • Adjust your speed so as to meet in a suitable place and then steer past carefully

Featured Posts

I didn't say it was a standard signal; for that matter neither is you flashing (!), but if the other boat has its radio on / is deaf, there's not a lot of other options.

The least one can hope is that the other boat says "I wonder what he means" and might be prepared to take some sensible action.

The only official signals are those publiched by the PLA / EA / Colregs: and Cart; even these have slight variations.

The worst case is when folks proceed as they were and ignore the other party until BANG...

Thanks for that - thought I'd missed something.

I think that if the approaching boat put its light on and kept coming, I'd get the message. Where possible, arm waving can be more explicit, but even then I've been completely fooled by a boat coming through a bridge hole and waving to me; I thought he meant "no one behind, come on" and guess what?

wacko.gif

Still managed to avoid contact, but ended up in the bushes instead

frusty.gif

The only thing the light flashing has going for it is that it's frequently used that way in the equivalent road situation, though that's not invariably reliable either.

Once more, the main thing is being cautious and staying alert to the possibility that the other boat has completely misunderstood or else is blind drunk/terrified/Bizzard.

rolleyes.gif

In my experience most boats approaching a bridge or restriction will slow and give a hand signal inviting the other boat through, especially if they are in a wider section or further away from the bridge than the other boat, this method is easily understood and seems to work well.

Unfortunately there are also a few boaters who, for whatever reason, believe that they have the right to go through the restriction first, irrespective of distance or other circumstances. Some of them will even speed up to ensure that the distance is closed giving the appearance that they were closer to the restriction than the other boat.

Quite frankly any boat putting it's tunnel light on and racing for the bridge would irritate me immensly, rather like the pests that come up onto your bumper in the middle lane of a motorway and flash their lights even thouigh you are alreasdy doing 70MPH.

As for sound signals, don't even bother, the only one anyone understands is a long blast indicating that you are approaching a blind spot. I learnt all of them when I took my boatmaster's licence, but apart from our crew no one else understood them. I also find the interpretation of three short blasts somewat bemusing, it actually means I am going into reverse, not I am letting you through etc. You may be reversing , but in most instances the boat just stopped and waiting.

Edited by David Schweizer

If people drove cars like they steer boats there would be far fewer accidents on the road. Generally most boaters are sensible and not in a rush, yes there are always the exceptions, but in the main boaters are laid back. The hire boaters you could equate to the learners on the road, give them a bit more room and a little more tolerance and a hand if necessary.

Ken

:) On my last trip I had my 'L'Plates on the front and back of my boat, so that other boaters would understand if I was going a lickle bit slow :)

Good for you, tree!

I hope it's not long before you're confident enough to dispense with the plates. :cheers:

In my experience most boats approaching a bridge or restriction will slow and give a hand signal inviting the other boat through, especially if they are in a wider section or further away from the bridge than the other boat, this method is easily understood and seems to work well.

Unfortunately there are also a few boaters who, for whatever reason, believe that they have the right to go through the restriction first, irrespective of distance or other circumstances. Some of them will even speed up to ensure that the distance is closed giving the appearance that they were closer to the restriction than the other boat.

Quite frankly any boat putting it's tunnel light on and racing for the bridge would irritate me immensly, rather like the pests that come up onto your bumper in the middle lane of a motorway and flash their lights even thouigh you are alreasdy doing 70MPH.

As for sound signals, don't even bother, the only one anyone understands is a long blast indicating that you are approaching a blind spot. I learnt all of them when I took my boatmaster's licence, but apart from our crew no one else understood them. I also find the interpretation of three short blasts somewat bemusing, it actually means I am going into reverse, not I am letting you through etc. You may be reversing , but in most instances the boat just stopped and waiting.

Agree,

The only time we've ever had any "challenges" is on the southern Oxford and in the last two or three years. With no indication from other boats it's difficult to know what pre-emptive action to take. Unlikely on a canal, but if an incident came to a claim the use of some form of acceped signal could be a deciding factor. With more and more expensive boats on the canals it could become a real issue.

On a river sound signals are more use because there is more room to turn or more space to do "something different" - but nobody (except me and it annoys SWMBO) uses them.

Another point of contention for me is how to deal with oncoming boats. Having boated for more years than I care to admit, I was always taught to approach an oncoming boat in the middle of the channel.

When bot boats are two (?) lengths apart, slow down, each would incline slightly towards the right. When nearly past each boat inclines back to the left and proceeds.

Result - a smooth transition and neither boat is inconvenienced.

Nowadays the other boat does not understand the process and passes annoyed because he thinks I was trying to bully him and steal the canal.

Am I right, or am I right???

...rather like the pests that come up onto your bumper in the middle lane of a motorway and flash their lights even thouigh you are alreasdy doing 70MPH.

I can't understand why someone would do this, if the left hand lane was occupied and the right hand lane was empty. I've had people barrel up behind me whilst I've been in the middle lane overtaking something, and then slow to whatever speed I'm doing rather than overtake me (which alternately irritates and amuses me depending on my mood), but these train drivers never flash.

And what has the fact that you're doing 70mph got to do with it? I thought the rule was, that you keep left unless overtaking. So if you're doing that, then fine. If you're not, pull in, even if you're doing 80mph. It's not a private individual's job to enforce speed limits, and your speedo isn't accurate enough to do this. In convoy with the first mate, I was clocking 65mph while she was clocking 70mph in her last car.

Its generally not wise to ever flash head lights at other road users at all especially pedestrians as it can cause confusion and be misunderstood. Whoever you are flashing at might not be sure whether your giving them the go ahead or warning them to stay put= possible catastrophie.

Like for example'-- Car trying to pull out from a side turning and you ease up and flash your lights for it to come out, then it crashes into another vehicle which you may not have seen. And i would certainly never ever flash a pedestrian to cross a road, pull up and wait but do not beckon them to cross by any form of signal at all,even nodding your head, if they get run over you could be held to blame.

... And i would certainly never ever flash a pedestrian to cross a road, pull up and wait but do not beckon them to cross by any form of signal at all, even nodding your head, if they get run over you could be held to blame.

Especially if you flash a pedestrian to cross, and then run over them when they do so, because actually you're Frankenstein keeping your hand in for an upcoming race.

Not that long ago vehicles never had headlamp flashers, they weren't thought necessary and indeed in my opinion i don't think they are and should be banned, the flash happy motorists who keep doing it are a pain and cause confusion and probably cause a lot of accidents. If you wanted to flash up another vehicle before headlight flashers you had to turn them off at the switch and turn them on again, or signal by going from dip to high beam.

Sorry but that is rubbish, IME. For Narrow boats, anyway. There is no need for 'the bows to take the racing line.'

Leeds & Liverpool Short Boats it might be true, they love to go sideways around bends.

Tim

Depends on how the boat is sitting in the water I think. Fulcrum point moves towards the stern as the forend is lightened.

Utter rubbish - it gets a bit tight around Wroxham and Horning - but never chaotic - if it is that can only mean it's getting better for the local economy as in local hire co.s

Please accept my resignation from this forum. Your comment "utter rubbish" is quite unnaceptable. I will not be logging in again as I have better things to do than chat to a load of floating sardine can enthusiasts.

Moderators: Ban me if you like. I Don't give a damn.

Bye. :)

Harnser.

Please accept my resignation from this forum. Your comment "utter rubbish" is quite unnaceptable. I will not be logging in again as I have better things to do than chat to a load of floating sardine can enthusiasts.

Harnser.

Close the door on your way out...

Edited by The Dog House

Harnser.

And the prize for flouncer of the week goes to .......

Edited to add something, then I changed my mind.

Edited by twbm

Harnser.

Banning you after you've 'resigned' seems a bit pointless.

And what if we don't accept your resignation? :)

Harnser.

Somebody throw his teddy bear back in his pram :cheers:

Tim

Utter rubbish - it gets a bit tight around Wroxham and Horning - but never chaotic - if it is that can only mean it's getting better for the local economy as in local hire co.s

Sorry Martin but with respect you are wrong, we lived aboard at Horning for 10 years and it got worse every year. So much so that we sold our wide beam Broads cruiser and bought a NB, moving to the Fens. I would liken it during the season to the M25, many others that I know have taken similar steps.

Phil

Sorry Martin but with respect you are wrong, we lived aboard at Horning for 10 years and it got worse every year. So much so that we sold our wide beam Broads cruiser and bought a NB, moving to the Fens. I would liken it during the season to the M25, many others that I know have taken similar steps.

Phil

I think our opinions of chaos just differ..

:) On my last trip I had my 'L'Plates on the front and back of my boat, so that other boaters would understand if I was going a lickle bit slow :) I was lucky to have my friends from n/b ilovemynarrowboat, help me through the locks on the canals and river. I personally I will keep my 'L'plates until I feel confident to progress to 'P'plates, as I think that it does make other boaters aware and therefore a lickle bit more tolerant. It was a good conversation starter and made a lot of people smile :)

Here is a pic of 'treespirit' being helped through them scary guillotine locks :)

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee476/treepoet1/?action=view&current=070-1.jpg

Doesn't seem a bad idea

But I fear most people would think it too embarrassing to use them.

Till they get cut some slack and let off with their mistakes a little lol

btw. First time photo bucket has worked for me

Nice boat Tree

And my favourite colour too