poo

notebook

Featured Posts

If you use poison and they die where you cannot remove then you shouldn't get much of a smell and probably not any because they are so small. If there are a lot of them as in the case mentioned by The Dog House then you will get a smell and it's not nice. One dead rat is another matter though, as it would fill your boat with the smell and attract flies as well.

Letting mice go a mile away (or further) is probably one of the most inhumane things you can do becuase the mouse would have little chance of surviving away from it's colony. I know killing goes against the grain for some, but if it is done properly it is the most humane thing to do, other than leaving them alone ane putting up with them.

• Greenie 1

If you use poison and they die where you cannot remove then you shouldn't get much of a smell and probably not any because they are so small. If there are a lot of them as in the case mentioned by The Dog House then you will get a smell and it's not nice. One dead rat is another matter though, as it would fill your boat with the smell and attract flies as well.

Letting mice go a mile away (or further) is probably one of the most inhumane things you can do becuase the mouse would have little chance of surviving away from it's colony. I know killing goes against the grain for some, but if it is done properly it is the most humane thing to do, other than leaving them alone ane putting up with them.

Have a greeny for talking sanse.

I haven't made the transition to vegetarianism. But, it would happen pretty quick if I had to kill my food. While I require other people to kill for the plate, the rationale behind my humane treatment of mice isn't fully squared.

Interestingly, if I felt I couldn't kill my own food I would probably be a vegetarian.

I think the sanitised, packed meat product breaks the link between the animal's life, death and the plate making it easier to accept poor animal welfare.

I only eat game or free-range and usually know the farm where the animals are reared.

• Greenie 1

Interestingly, if I felt I couldn't kill my own food I would probably be a vegetarian.

I think the sanitised, packed meat product breaks the link between the animal's life, death and the plate making it easier to accept poor animal welfare.

I only eat game or free-range and usually know the farm where the animals are reared.

I think you are right, unfortunately like you, I can't say I know where all my food comes from, but I am quite happy to see it alive. I have just given up shooting after about 25 years and took my last dog to the vets this morning to be put down. I held the old boy while the vet did it.

I think you are right, unfortunately like you, I can't say I know where all my food comes from, but I am quite happy to see it alive. I have just given up shooting after about 25 years and took my last dog to the vets this morning to be put down. I held the old boy while the vet did it.

So sorry to read that. I've had to do that many a time and it is so upsetting, to be there with them at the end is hard to do but I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope you are ok.

I haven't made the transition to vegetarianism. But, it would happen pretty quick if I had to kill my food. While I require other people to kill for the plate, the rationale behind my humane treatment of mice isn't fully squared.

Interestingly enough, a vegetarian friend reasoned the opposite - that she should only eat meat if she was prepared to kill it herself. So she went deerstalking with my eldest son, who works on a Highland estate. She not only killed a deer, but gralloched (disembowelled) it. She now eats venison. But of course you're not allowed to kill your own sheep and cows.

Officially. B)

I think the same. Should be a veggy. Not fully confident, but need to put more effort behind my convictions.

Put another way. If I couldn't buy meat from a counter, confidence or not, I'd be a vegetarian tomorrow. I've tried shooting a rat - couldn't even do that.

I'm not a big meat eater, basically free-range chicken.

Edited by Higgs

Sorry to hear that. If it' s for the best then it's the only way of course but it still doesn't make it any easier. I'm dreading the day with my dog as it's something I've never had to do before because she is my first.

It depends on the boat I guess. All my vents have grilles and the doors shut tightly. I close my doors at night and since mice are primarily nocturnal animals I've never had one inside my boat.

Mice can get through holes the diameter of a pencil.

They also have no sphincter on their bladder, so release a constant dribble of urine wherever they go.

Mice can get through holes the diameter of a pencil.

They also have no sphincter on their bladder, so release a constant dribble of urine wherever they go.

Ours must have spent a long time sitting in my cereal bowl then.

O you mean they do have control over..... Oh, never mind...

I am pleased to report that last night the cat flushed out a large mouse and while he was deciding what to do with it PB captured it alive and popped it out of the window (on the bank side). Yesterday he cut down all the undergrowth along the bank, as I suspect this is the way the mouse got in through a window. (I know the cat might have brought it in but a. He usually kills them, and b. It would be a strange coincidence if he had done iy just before going away for a week.)

I shall now clean out all the cupboards and hope there are no more!

Update...

No sooner had I written that than there were more sounds of scrabbling and gnawing in the kitchen, but we have now just got one in the trap as well, and taken it outside.

Have cut down the vegetation at the side of the boat and taken up the gangplank, so maybe that will be it....

Edited by Chertsey

I am pleased to report that last night the cat flushed out a large mouse and while he was deciding what to do with it PB captured it alive and popped it out of the window (on the bank side). Yesterday he cut down all the undergrowth along the bank, as I suspect this is the way the mouse got in through a window. (I know the cat might have brought it in but a. He usually kills them, and b. It would be a strange coincidence if he had done iy just before going away for a week.)

I shall now clean out all the cupboards and hope there are no more!

Update...

No sooner had I written that than there were more sounds of scrabbling and gnawing in the kitchen, but we have now just got one in the trap as well, and taken it outside.

Have cut down the vegetation at the side of the boat and taken up the gangplank, so maybe that will be it....

Disks on the mooring ropes?