weird boat

onionbargee

Featured Posts

The negative comments in here, kind of dampens my dream. Because being bilingual and having troubles spelling in both my languages because of learning difficulties. I frankly don't feel I can ask all the questions I have without being bullied back into silence.

Don't worry about it Caprifool! A bit of poor grammar or spelling is acceptable on an internet forum, unless it is so bad that the post is completely unreadable! In a formal letter, or e-mail, of course that is a different matter.......

You and all our foreign contributors have my admiration.

and, likewise, all our contributors (and site owner) who are dyslexic yet communicate so well.

And my admiration too!

I am also dyslexic but unusually I can spell. I find reading a lot harder than writing!

The negative comments in here, kind of dampens my dream. Because being bilingual and having troubles spelling in both my languages because of learning difficulties. I frankly don't feel I can ask all the questions I have without being bullied back into silence.

Oh come on, you've been around here long enough to know that if you have something sensible to ask or interesting or amusing to say, 99.99% of people won't give a damn how you spell it. The posters who do get picked up on those things are the ones who have wound people up for other reasons, are doing it on purpose, or clearly simply don't care.

Are the little underlines pointing my errors out not forum provided, then?

Actually, thinking about it, the computer slaps my wrist wherever I type badly (everywhere) so it may be browser based.

Are you sure it's not computer based? My spelling gets picked up (or not) depending on which computer I'm using, even on the same websites using the same browser with, afaik, the same settings.

My spelling is poor too - a combination of laziness and a mis-spent youth perhaps.

So I'm ashamed to say I heavily rely on spell-checkers both in WP software and using the internet. One thing I have noticed lately is the one inbuilt into Chrome seems to really struggle with alternative suggestions - I can often be only one or two characters out and it comes up with some really bizarre alternatives no where near the word I'm looking for - Often I give up and type the word I'm looking for into the address bar of the browser and get the correct spelling that way.

any one else get this problem?

Oh and Caprifool - I like others have said value your input too.

I think the boat is an interesting shape. It reminds me of the 1960's when there were lots of lifeboat and pontoon conversions on the canals. There isn't much variety on the canals these days.

Passing a long line of moored boats used to be much more interesting when people used ingenuity to convert something that floated into a cruising boat or home.

I'm surprised people are criticising the spelling in the eBay advert, rather than asking interesting questions like:

- What is the beam? and construction?

- What is an 850 watt gel battery?

- What is a Thrull gearbox

- What type is the Lister Saab engine ... (I haven't heard of them, but would be interested to hear if this was a marinising venture between Lister and Saab).

If it is less than 7 foot beam it is the sort of the sort of boat I would be happy to own - but I already have one.

- What type is the Lister Saab engine ... (I haven't heard of them, but would be interested to hear if this was a marinising venture between Lister and Saab).

If it is less than 7 foot beam it is the sort of the sort of boat I would be happy to own - but I already have one.

I'd guess the engine is either a Lister or a Sabb (one word that was spelt correctly in the advert). Sabb are a Norwegian company that started off making semi-diesel (aka hot bulb) engines that were used as lot in old tractors, agricultural machinery, pumps, and small fishing boats. Later they started making proper diesel engines, and I believe are still going. Both the diesel and hot bulb engines have a good reputation for reliability, which is why they're often used in lifeboats.

Edited by Teadaemon

Tim,

No problem; it wasn't taken personally.

My point is, which would you prefer to read:

hi here we have a ex oil rig free fall life boat approx 12 yrs old never used apart from sea trails.it has a 40hp lister sabb engine thrull gear box ,keel coold less than 25hrs running .it has anew vetus wet exaust never used.I have been converting this boat for two years but ill heal forces sale.all the work carried out isto the highest standard.It comes with new vetus port lights,lewmar free fall windless anchor rode and chain,25kg anchore,stainlessconnectors all new and fitted,new windows,more stainless and alloy fitting than I can mention,forks tube hydrolic steering 3 gell 850wat batteris 2chargers 240 to 42volt transformer new built for the boat,steering vaulve pipes cabals ect to much to mention,all the following is new and still boxed,vhf two station withAIS ,northstar 12in touch screen GPS chart plotter, sonar 1000wat transducer ,radar broad band,saterlite tele with free vew ,and more.honwave 2.7 air hull tender 5hp honda 4sroke boat cover engine cover tender travel wheels anchore, chain&rode for tender. anti fouling paint and lots more.please ring me for moor imformation 07919370863 . colection only.

OR:not bothered which, as long as everyone who is a member can reply without feeling stupid and I can get the benefit of there knowledge or humour.

Hi. Here we have an ex-oil rig, free-fall life boat. Approx 12 years old and never used apart for sea trials.

It has a 40hp Lister Sabb engine and Thrull gear box. It is keel cooled with less than 25hrs running. It has a new Vetus wet exhaust which has never been used.

I have been converting this boat for two years but ill health forces the sale. All the work carried out is to the highest standard.

It comes with new Vetus port lights, Lewmar free fall windless anchor, rope and chain, a 25kg anchor with stainless steel connectors. New windows with more stainless and alloy fitting than I can mention.

Forks tube hydraulic steering.

3 gell 850watt batteries.

2 chargers.

240 to 42volt transformer newly built for the boat.

Steering valve, pipes cables etc too much to mention.

All the following is new and still boxed;

vhf two station radio with AIS,

Northstar 12in touch screen GPS chart plotter,

sonar 1000wat transducer,

radar broad band,

satellite tele with freeview,

Honwave 2.7 air hull tender with 5hp Honda 4 stroke,

boat cover,

engine cover,

tender travel wheels,

anchor, chain & rope for tender.

Anti fouling paint and lots more.

Please ring me for more information 07919370863 .

Collection only.

I'd guess the engine is either a Lister or a Sabb (one word that was spelt correctly in the advert). Sabb are a Norwegian company that started off making semi-diesel (aka hot bulb) engines that were used as lot in old tractors, agricultural machinery, pumps, and small fishing boats. Later they started making proper diesel engines, and I believe are still going. Both the diesel and hot bulb engines have a good reputation for reliability, which is why they're often used in lifeboats.

The picture is a Lister LPW4. Nothing Sabb in there.

- What is the beam? and construction?

eBay Answer says its - Draft max 900mm beam max 2.5m Displacees approx 6 ton

When anyone here's Swedish is as good as your English they may be in a position to comment negatively.

The vast majority of Brits should feel humbled at many foreigners' excellent command of what is a pretty complicated language.

I lived in France for many years and speak French fluently but I wouldn't feel confident going on a French forum and joining in a written conversation like you do.

You and all our foreign contributors have my admiration.

and, likewise, all our contributors (and site owner) who are dyslexic yet communicate so well.

Thanks carlt,us foreigners appreciate admiration from other foreigners.

If it's really an issue, you could just write your post in any word processing programme and then do a spell check on it before copying and pasting it onto the forum.

If it's really an issue, you could just write your post in any word processing programme and then do a spell check on it before copying and pasting it onto the forum.

It still won't tell you if it's spilt wright or there are to turns round the bollard

Are the little underlines pointing my errors out not forum provided, then?

Actually, thinking about it, the computer slaps my wrist wherever I type badly (everywhere) so it may be browser based.

Firefox seems to. Thank heavens.

taslim. ( H F A & dyslexic)