SET THEM BOATS ADRIFT

gaggle

Featured Posts

This fella is going through the complete list , delayed by floods,gates left open by previous boat which he caught up with and taught them how they should do things , they stopped on the offside for coffee "dirty bast***s" and let peewee pass but later caught up and crashed into them , 3 times down the weed hatch, gates cant be opened because of rubbish and then to top the lot bw crew decide to clean rubbish out of locks to make things easier but hold him up and it is then that 3 boats crash into him , i would pay good money to be cruising behind him as it must be a laugh a minute watching as his top blows at regular intervals.

Edited by gaggle
  • Greenie 1

but in real life boats are often home for vulnerable people on the fringes of society, and treating people's homes in a Draconian "licence it or lose it" manner isn't appropriate, or, I feel, particularly ethical.

So I, along with everyone else that lives on a boat, is classed by you as a vunerable person on the fringes of society ????? Well thank you for the generalization !!!

So I, along with everyone else that lives on a boat, is classed by you as a vunerable person on the fringes of society ????? Well thank you for the generalization !!!

Surely if FTS was making a generalisation he would have said "always" instead of "often".

Surely if FTS was making a generalisation he would have said "always" instead of "often".

True, but even better would be "some boats are occupied by vulnerable people"; I would suspect that the majority of us liveaboards, whilst often strange in many ways blink.gif, couldn't claim to be vulnerable adults in the sense of needing special care in these matters (though I don't know of any published data on the subject).

But there are certainly sufficient such to make it prudent to use some formal review process before chucking someone off the water, and I guess that's why BW/CRT use the courts for S8 procedures where the boat is someone's home.

True, but even better would be "some boats are occupied by vulnerable people"; I would suspect that the majority of us liveaboards, whilst often strange in many ways blink.gif, couldn't claim to be vulnerable adults in the sense of needing special care in these matters (though I don't know of any published data on the subject).

But there are certainly sufficient such to make it prudent to use some formal review process before chucking someone off the water, and I guess that's why BW/CRT use the courts for S8 procedures where the boat is someone's home.

Yes, it can be read as a generalisation, although I meant it in the sense that many vulnerable people often live on boats, not that many boats are often lived on by vulnerable people.

Having said that, as a liveaboard, I am more vulnerable than someone with a land based address. All it takes is someone to remove my mooring, a d I'd have to leave my home town- whereas even renring tenants have more legal rights.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Yes, it can be read as a generalisation, although I meant it in the sense that many vulnerable people often live on boats, not that many boats are often lived on by vulnerable people.

You are classed as "vulnerably housed", if you live on a boat because there is no security of tenure.

This qualifies you to sell the Big Issue.

You are classed as "vulnerably housed", if you live on a boat because there is no security of tenure.

This qualifies you to sell the Big Issue.

I look forward to seeing vulnerably housed people selling Towpath Telegraph at locks, and to admiring their well cared-for and docile dogs.

I look forward to seeing vulnerably housed people selling Towpath Telegraph at locks, and to admiring their well cared-for and docile dogs.

Towpath Telegraph is free but you're right, in my experience homeless people often care for their dogs more than themselves.

Towpath Telegraph is free but you're right, in my experience homeless people often care for their dogs more than themselves.

Yes, I realised that TT was not a perfect example but, being slow of study, I couldn't think of a more appropriate magazine name.

The Big Lock, perhaps?

I have heard a suggestion that Big Issue sellers sometimes borrow appealing-looking dogs to make the public more willing to fork out their money. I suspect it's not true, but I get a mental picture of The Big Issue offices, with the sellers lining up at the front to get their stack of magazines, then going round the back to the Rent-a-Dog department to choose their pooch of the day.

I have heard a suggestion that Big Issue sellers sometimes borrow appealing-looking dogs to make the public more willing to fork out their money. I suspect it's not true, but I get a mental picture of The Big Issue offices, with the sellers lining up at the front to get their stack of magazines, then going round the back to the Rent-a-Dog department to choose their pooch of the day.

When Tommy, my lurcher, first had his leg amputated a bloke begging in town asked me how much I wanted to sell him for.

I told him Tommy wasn't for sale at any price and the bloke said "I could make £500 a day with a dog like that."

• 2 weeks later...

It is weird, NBW remInds me of a student committee who want to change the world but collectively discuss the quality of the loo paper.

Quite how two blokes arguing in a bridge ole becomes news I'll never know!

I think it's time for this bloke to hang up his windlass.... (quietly)

Edited by wanted

I wonder how many pleasant, well-mannered and courteous boaters PP has passed in his meanderings, and chosen not to mention in his vitriolic postings? I do agree with post #143 - he has the luck of the Devil!

Unlike PP I always seem to meet pleasant, well mannered courteous boaters at bridge holes, I stop for them but they stop, I wave my arms, they wave theirs, I flash my tunnel light, they flash theirs. We spend hours trying to persuade each other to go through the bridge first. Then you decide OK I'll go and so do they, its enough to drive you to drink.

Ken

I have no idea who PP is,and am not suggesting this was the same bod, but last year I had a run in on the L&L just outside of Parbold. Some weirdo in an NB started ranting at me about being an overstayer (I wasn't,I was painting my boat and minding my own business.) The cheeky barsteward then asked me if I had a mooring (I have a marina mooring, but considered it none of his business.) Can't remember the boat name, but this geezer wasn't playing with a full deck. My wife felt quite intimidated by him.

Edited to add: I seem to recall that setting a boat adrift is a criminal offence? Does committing one crime negate another one?

Edited by Guest