Victron Inverter

seadog42uk

Featured Posts

I don't know about that particular model; but my 12/3000/120 takes a good half or three quarters of a minute to recognise either the generator or a shoreline. As far as I know, cannot be altered. Certainly don't recall any such setting on VE Net

Regards

Pete

I have checked the connection between the genny and the inverter and can only get the inverter to connect with the genny by switching on a load, ie an iron. Once connected I switch off the iron and it continues to receive the charge.

Many Victrons do have an adjustment for that. But if it's just started doing it, that clearly isn't the issue. A dodgy connection can easily cause it.

I have checked the connection between the genny and the inverter and can only get the inverter to connect with the genny by switching on a load, ie an iron. Once connected I switch off the iron and it continues to receive the charge.

this topic has been discussed before try a search, there is a setting in the inverter but you will need a laptop and lead to do it £50+ from victron or victron supplier. plus the software from victron site (free).

I don't know about that particular model; but my 12/3000/120 takes a good half or three quarters of a minute to recognise either the generator or a shoreline. As far as I know, cannot be altered. Certainly don't recall any such setting on VE Net

Regards

Pete

This is correct,mine does the same thing.

This is correct,mine does the same thing.

Have a look at your manual I am sure it mentions something about the problem you are having.

That's caused by poor waveform from the generator. Putting on a load cleans it up. It's pretty normal with many cheap generators.

Should I take up the poor design with Vetus?

Well we don't know whether that is the case. But if it is, then yes, you should.

Now go back and read what I actually wrote, not what you want me to have written.

That's caused by poor waveform from the generator. Putting on a load cleans it up. It's pretty normal with many cheap generators.

Please define "cheap generator", mine cost £5000.00

Gibbo is correct. Cost doesn't necessarily define a good gennie. I was advised that the Beta gennie that was an option when I was having my barge built had exactly the same problem (a poor waveform that required a load applied before you could run anything light) but that the equivalent Onan was problem free from this aspect. I specced the Onan and have never regretted the choice, it has less vibration, is slightly quieter and has a stable performance. I have since heard that Beta have sorted the problem and that they did try to get back in the market of my barge builder by claiming the improvements had been made. Both these gennies are well over £5,000 BTW.

Roger

All I want is advice, if my problem is caused by a crap wave form due to poor design, then after paying a great deal of money for a genset I feel I should take up the problem with the supplier.

Well we don't know whether that is the case. But if it is, then yes, you should.

Now go back and read what I actually wrote, not what you want me to have written.

All I want is advice, if my problem is caused by a crap wave form due to poor design, then after paying a great deal of money for a genset I feel I should take up the problem with the supplier.

My twopenneth for what it is worth. I have a vetus engine, bowthruster and some other bits on my private boat, I must add it was all fitted prior to my ownership. On my daily drive at work we have lots of vetus bits on one of the boats and in my experience Vetus are easil described in three words " Megga expensive crap "

Tim

I got rid of my Vetus because of poor waveform which meant poor performance from washing machine and because it kept breaking down. Once it was out of ewarranty Vetus didn't want to know. I now have a Onan which gives no problems.

Regards

Pete

Get an engineer round with an oscilloscope to have a look at the waveform and take a screenshot or photo (do not try this unless you know what you're doing - you could easily kill yourself). Do the same with and without various different size loads. Until you do that it's nothing more than guesswork.

Thanks for all the advice, it seems once again we have paid good money for "crap". I borrowed the genny from the chap next to me (Honda 3700) and within a few seconds the inverter made contact and is charging fine. He paid about £600.00 for his about two years ago, guess how I feel!

Thanks for all the advice, it seems once again we have paid good money for "crap". I borrowed the genny from the chap next to me (Honda 3700) and within a few seconds the inverter made contact and is charging fine. He paid about £600.00 for his about two years ago, guess how I feel!

Easiest thing is to go into the settings in the Victron, as someone said earlier, and change the waveform setting its not hard, I have always done this as a matter of course.

A lot depends on the generator I have had to change the alternator on mine as it was only regulated by a capacitor which sometimes resulted in huge spikes and not a full AVR now with the AVR its fine.

• 1 month later...

My twopenneth for what it is worth. I have a vetus engine, bowthruster and some other bits on my private boat, I must add it was all fitted prior to my ownership. On my daily drive at work we have lots of vetus bits on one of the boats and in my experience Vetus are easil described in three words " Megga expensive crap "

Tim

I know nothing of Vetus equipment but, we are thinking of using there engine in our new build narrowboat.

If there gear is crap, how can they afford to give a 5 year warranty on an engine.

Thanks for any replies.