Going Against The Flow

cl@rkey

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I know (at least I think I read somewhere) that mooring against the flow of a river is considered a bad idea, and it makes sense as the whole build of a boat is designed for water flowing from fore to aft, but what are the dangers of mooring stern first? Can it adversely affect the seal on the prop shaft, or perhaps put unnecessary strain on the mooring pins?

I've seen a few boats moored stern first on the Cam (even in the present strong flows) and have begun to think perhaps it's not as important as I first imagined.

EDIT: changed 'bow' to 'stern', duh!

Edited by cl@rkey

In general I would say its better. Of course there will be exceptions but I would always try if it were possible.

The main reason I ask is that if I were to take up a residential mooring on the Cam, and moored contrary to the perceived wisdom on a long-term basis, would I be putting my boat at any risk?

That's one for the Cam experts...

One reason for mooring facing the flow in general is that it makes that actuall process of getting into position and tying up easier and safer.

Another thing that was suggested to me is that water borne debris might hit/damage the prop - even if the flow is not fast debris could build up round it and bits get jammed.

One reason for mooring facing the flow in general is that it makes that actuall process of getting into position and tying up easier and safer.

This...

...and letting go is easier too as you are facing into the flow.

If the river has fresh on then I would have thought debris would be an issue too but this depends on where you're moored relative to the flow.

That's one for the Cam experts...

Another thing that was suggested to me is that water borne debris might hit/damage the prop - even if the flow is not fast debris could build up round it and bits get jammed.

Ah, makes perfect sense (re: mooring up).

I've been surprised at just how much debris has accumulated around some of the boats: plastic bags & bottles, cans, and copious amounts of weed.

It is highly recommended to moor with the boat facing the flow - - that's the way the hull is designed to cope with movement of water

(just consider the better steerage you have moving forwards, than you do trying to reverse)

Yes, I see that. I shall henceforth ignore the contrarians (well, when it comes to their mooring habits, anyways!)

Chris & Laurie, I suspected these answers would have me wondering why I couldn't work out the logic all by myself. At least I know the why behind it now.

As always, thanks for the replies folks! :cheers:

Edited by cl@rkey

Hi all,

I know (at least I think I read somewhere) that mooring against the flow of a river is considered a bad idea, and it makes sense as the whole build of a boat is designed for water flowing from fore to aft, but what are the dangers of mooring stern first? Can it adversely affect the seal on the prop shaft, or perhaps put unnecessary strain on the mooring pins?

I've seen a few boats moored stern first on the Cam (even in the present strong flows) and have begun to think perhaps it's not as important as I first imagined.

EDIT: changed 'bow' to 'stern', duh!

Normally, the Cam has such a negligeable flow that it doesn't make much difference. People moor that way round, river comes up, they can't then turn.

I always moor facing upstream, if only to keep crape off the prop. Nut then, being only 48' I can (just about) pull a u turn and get round in one go, as the river is 60' wide here.

Also, a lot of people around here don't do that much boating- hence the number of boats tied up with centre lines during the floods....

Since then, Rudd has given a full account of the circumstances there.

It's a great idea if you are running down stream to tu rn into the flow to moor, but only if the river is wide enough to get round. Not always possible in a Narrowboat.

Understood. I'm guessing these are the exceptions that Biggles mentioned.

Normally, the Cam has such a negligeable flow that it doesn't make much difference. People moor that way round, river comes up, they can't then turn.

Ah right. So after these recent floods, we may be seeing some mooring habits being revised. :)

I always moor facing upstream, if only to keep crape off the prop. Nut then, being only 48' I can (just about) pull a u turn and get round in one go, as the river is 60' wide here.

True, I've never seen Lucky Duck pointing downstream! If you were 55'-60', how far downsteam would you have to navigate before being able to wind? (I imagine this could be tricky, with the amount of rowers hereabouts) Are boats this length generally considered too awkward for long-term mooring on Midsummer Common?

Also, a lot of people around here don't do that much boating- hence the number of boats tied up with centre lines during the floods....

I've seen those too, but have learned enough to know that was just plain wrong. :)

The general rule is to moor into the flow or wind, whichever is having more effect on your boat, it makes the whole process much much easier.

Remember that flow pariculary on tidal rivers can easily be in the region of 6 knots and your boat can soon be whipped across the stream if you try to moor stern into the flow.

Phil

It's a great idea if you are running down stream to tu rn into the flow to moor, but only if the river is wide enough to get round. Not always possible in a Narrowboat.

I disagree. I regularly moor on the Thames and it makes no difference whether you are facing upstream or downstream. Worrying about the stern gland is really NOT an issue and I suggest someone has been scaremongering the OP.

The process of actually mooring going downstream is no more difficult than going upstream. In fact its easier. Justget the stern line tied first not the bowline (as with upstream mooring), and the stream pushes the bow in for you. I find it easier to moor single handed pointing downstream than upstream as it is easier to step off the stern and tie first, instead of the bow.

Mike

I disagree. I regularly moor on the Thames and it makes no difference whether you are facing upstream or downstream. Worrying about the stern gland is really NOT an issue and I suggest someone has been scaremongering the OP.

The process of actually mooring going downstream is no more difficult than going upstream. In fact its easier. Justget the stern line tied first not the bowline (as with upstream mooring), and the stream pushes the bow in for you. I find it easier to moor single handed pointing downstream than upstream as it is easier to step off the stern and tie first, instead of the bow.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for your lone voice in the wilderness. :)

I'm a tad confused now (it doesn't take much!) I will be single-handing, so anything that helps me moor up is obviously something I'd be interested in. To be fair, it was me that took a wild guess at possible damage to the stern gland, as I just didn't know any better.

I'll go with the local experts on this one. My only concern now is the nearest winding point for a 55' plus boat on a rower dominated river.

And thanks also to Phil. :cheers:

Mmmm i seem to remember that on flowing water, water pressure is greater at the upstream end of a boat, as such it makes no sense to put extra pressure on the stern gland. Seems to make some sence but the difference must be miniscule.

However here on the Kennet its just not possible to make a choice, there are times where needs must and i just moor however i can,i do give the greaser a few extra turns to make sure though.

Mmmm i seem to remember that on flowing water, water pressure is greater at the upstream end of a boat, as such it makes no sense to put extra pressure on the stern gland. Seems to make some sence but the difference must be miniscule.

However here on the Kennet its just not possible to make a choice, there are times where needs must and i just moor however i can,i do give the greaser a few extra turns to make sure though.

The stern gland is not an issue, think about it, on a tidal river the flow changes twice a day so if you were right everyone on tidal rivers would need to turn their boat round twice a day

Phil

The stern gland is not an issue, think about it, on a tidal river the flow changes twice a day so if you were right everyone on tidal rivers would need to turn their boat round twice a day

Phil

The harbour master at Wells insists that all boats are moored port side to the pontoon. This ensures that all boats are facing into the extremely fast flood tide which flows in for a couple of hours. The ebb tide is much slower so doesnt caus much of a problem.

The issue with this policy of course occurs when boats arrive late in the tide (after HW) and they are then mooring with the flow of the water :wacko:

Hi Mike, thanks for your lone voice in the wilderness. :)

I'm a tad confused now (it doesn't take much!) I will be single-handing, so anything that helps me moor up is obviously something I'd be interested in. To be fair, it was me that took a wild guess at possible damage to the stern gland, as I just didn't know any better.

I'll go with the local experts on this one. My only concern now is the nearest winding point for a 55' plus boat on a rower dominated river.

And thanks also to Phil. :cheers:

In normal conditions there's not a great deal of difference, and it doesn't really matter which way round. Often you'll end up pulling in the downstream end with a rope anyway as there's so little flow.

There's still a fair flow on the river, I went for water on Monday against a good walking pace stream which was fun.

The other reason I find to come in upstream is that my boat's easier to steer in ahead than astern. It prop walks quite a lot, and getting the stern alongside first is harder, especially with other moored boats only 6" behind and 2' ahead of me.

Turning round isn't too bad. The river along Midsummer Common is about 60', as I mentioned; longer boats can often put their bows onto the concrete edge in a space and drive the stern round. The river is slightly wider further up, between the Fort At George bridge and Victoria Avenue, I reckon you could turn a full length boat there, and you can turn 85' by Jesus Lock. The other end of Midsummer Common widens out under the Elizabeth Way bridge, and you could turn a full length boat there.

Mike

I'm with you 100% on this Mike. Even when Pingu is there as Crew, in strong flows I doubt whether she could hold the bow line safely whereas I know I can get off with a stern line and hold it; sometimes when travelling upstream against a strong current I've deliberately turned to face downstream and reversed into a mooring for that reason.

Mike

That might work with a gentle flow and a straight empty bank, but not if you need to manouevre into a space between two other boats, say.

• Greenie 1

Probably something to do with how many horsepower you've got too. Facing upstream whenever possible for me - it allows the 'ferry glide' into tight moorings. That said, take your point about getting the bow rope off. +