What Engine have YOU got under your hatch ??

NB Willawaw

What engine do you have ?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Pre 16th June 1998

• Barrus Shire (Yanmar)
    • Beta (Kubota)
    • BMC
    • Ford
    • Gardner
    • Izuzu
    • Kelvin
    • Kubota
    • Lister
    • Lombardini
    • Mercedes
    • Mitsubishi
    • Nanni (Kubota)
    • Perkins
    • Ruston
    • Thornycroft (Mitsubishi)
    • Vetus (Mitsubishi)
    • Yanmar
    • Other (or electric motor)
    • My answer is in the other section
  2. 2. From 16th June 1998 to Present Day

• Barrus Shire (Yanmar)
    • Beta (Kubota)
    • BMC
    • Ford
    • Gardner
    • Izuzu
    • Kelvin
    • Kubota
    • Lister
    • Lombardini
    • Mercedes
    • Mitsubishi
    • Nanni (Kubota)
    • Perkins
    • Ruston
    • Thornycroft (Mitsubishi)
    • Vetus (Mitsubishi)
    • Yanmar
    • Other (or electric motor)
    • My answer is in the other section

Featured Posts

As I'm really into polls now, I thought I'd ask the ultimate boat equipment question - what engine do you have ?

As usual, this information is not being used by me for any form of marketing nor am I collecting your individual data/results.

As I believe the pattern of engine choice has changed in recent years, I have divided the poll into two sections: that is, engines fitted before the RCD came into force on 16th June 1998 and those fitted after.

I suspect that the old traditional engines are gradually being replaced with Japanese marinisations, so please complete the section which relates to the age of your engine AND remember to click the option in the other "not relevant" section where its says "my answer is in the other section" (this is important because the poll needs an entry in both sections to register your vote attempt).

From the results of previous polls, there appears to be about 40 or so people on the forum with boats who are prepared to complete the poll.

Lets see where this one takes us.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation and I apologise in advance if I have missed anybodys engine choice from the list.

Mark

This is my last and final try to get it right !

Should be okay now.

Sorry for the previous cock-up's !!! ;)

This is the correct vote poll. If you have posted on the other one, that is flawed (my mistake ;) ) and will be deleted by the moderators (together with all the votes on it).

Please re-vote on this poll and your vote will go towards the final result.

Sorry for the faffing around ;)

This is the correct vote poll. If you have posted on the other one, that is flawed (my mistake ;) ) and will be deleted by the moderators (together with all the votes on it).

Please re-vote on this poll and your vote will go towards the final result.

Sorry for the faffing around ;)

;) Doh!! ;)

As I'm really into polls now, I thought I'd ask the ultimate boat equipment question - what engine do you have ?

As usual, this information is not being used by me for any form of marketing nor am I collecting your individual data/results.

As I believe the pattern of engine choice has changed in recent years, I have divided the poll into two sections: that is, engines fitted before the RCD came into force on 16th June 1998 and those fitted after.

I suspect that the old traditional engines are gradually being replaced with Japanese marinisations, so please complete the section which relates to the age of your engine AND remember to click the option in the other "not relevant" section where its says "my answer is in the other section" (this is important because the poll needs an entry in both sections to register your vote attempt).

From the results of previous polls, there appears to be about 40 or so people on the forum with boats who are prepared to complete the poll.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation and I apologise in advance if I have missed anybodys engine choice from the list.

Mark

Should be okay now.

Sorry for the previous cock-up's !!! ;)

I would like to see a poll on what members class themselves as, ie CC/BRIDGE HOPPER/PERM MOORING etc . After so much discussion on these different types of boater lets have an HONEST vote as to what each of us classes ourselves as, or should that be WHAT we are NOT what we class ourselves as.

LES(NB VALERIE)

I would like to see a poll on what members class themselves as, ie CC/BRIDGE HOPPER/PERM MOORING etc . After so much discussion on these different types of boater lets have an HONEST vote as to what each of us classes ourselves as, or should that be WHAT we are NOT what we class ourselves as.

LES(NB VALERIE)

;)

Can I ask WHY? Surely, divisive and trouble-making is the only possible outcome of such a poll.

No thank you - I get enough stick over something as innocent as engines because I miss someones preferred engine off the list. Any member can start up their own poll, so feel free if you feel strongly about it.

Mark

LES(NB VALERIE)

Am I missing something here ?

Shouldn't the number of votes in "my answer is in the other section" in one section, equal the toatal number of votes NOT in that answer in the other section ?

Doesn't seem to be close to how it is, so are some people recording an "actual engine" vote in both sections ? ;)

My first NB engine was a Lister SR2 with a Hurth gearbox (I think). Loud, noisy and reliable. Even I could maintain and start it particularly after I discovered ether spray. Never really thought too much about it really and if if things got really sticky the bloke next door would come to help as he had an identical one.

The engine on the current boat is a 43HP Beta with a PRM 150 box it's quiet, seems reliable and is very responsive. I need to go on a diesel maintenance course but at the moment I'm quite happy with it. It runs very clean and seems to be reasonably fuel efficient. It's three years old and replaced a BMC 1.5 which truly expired on the GUC with the previous owners .........

Jill

The other omission was Bukh, used to fit them to a lot of hireboats, Viking among others, Scandinavian lifeboat engine, twin cylinder, I am told they can run upside down for ten minutes in the event of the lifeboat capsizing, dont know if anyone has ever tried this in a narrowboat, perhaps we could have a poll to check if they have?

I would suggest that if anyone has an engine that is not on the list that they click "add reply" as some have already done and we can manually add them at the end.

I had a problem with the maximum number of options allowed by the poll programme (20) and trawled through the brokerages to produce a list of engines fitted on secondhand boats for sale.

I didn't have enough space for Bukh, Renault, Sabb, etc. Nothing personal and the poll is only done for a bit of fun.

What do you guys expect for free ? ;)

Only my paying customers are allowed to whinge at me !

I deal with customers through work from a lot of different countries.

I don't know why it is but Brits and Aussies tend to be the biggest whingers - whingeing poms !

There also seems to be a imbalance in the amount of engines registered and the amount of "my answer is in the other section" replies. Never mind, I think the trends are emerging.

Edited by NB Willawaw

Not wishing to disturb the Earth's axis by giving a misleading vote, here follows my votes as already registered, and the reasons therefor.

Prior to 1998 I had a narrowboat with a Lister SR2; therefore I ticked the "prior to June 1998 - Lister" option.

I now have another boat with a Lister SR3, therefore I also ticked the "Post June 1998 - Lister" option.

I also had until recently a living room with a Lister HA3 - I presume that I was right in not declaring this?

;)

Can I ask WHY? Surely, divisive and trouble-making is the only possible outcome of such a poll.

As all votes would be annon` how can it cause trouble.Just thought it would be interesting to know what types of boater read and post on the forum. None of us would know who voted what so where`s the harm or am i missing something.

LES

Bet Daniel's going to have something to say on this one ;)

Well, ill just keep my head down and vote for "other" eh!!

- Steam engines are great, but there not for everyone, and certainly not for the faint hearted!

Its also not under a hatch, i mean amongst other things, it simply wouldnt fit!

- It takes up 14ft even of full sized room, it would need atlease a 30ft cruiser stern to get all of that lot in!

Daniel

• 3 years later...

Mark

Should be okay now.

Sorry for the previous cock-up's !!! :lol:

Mark

Should be okay now.

Sorry for the previous cock-up's !!! :lol:

what about Bukh engines? Don't these deserve a separate entry?