How many people carry a lifering?

Zayna

Featured Posts

Ours is on a peg right next to the back door. Could grab it in a second if it was needed, but thankfully we haven't needed it yet. It came with the boat, and they also kindly left us a ladder that rolls out and clips onto the side of the boat, so it's easier to climb back on if someone goes over.

Really nice people :)

I believe it is compulsory equipment under the BSS for hire boats, and recommended as "best practice" for privately owned boats.

It's not part of the BSS (which doesn't cover lifesaving equipment), but it is an essential requirement for the Hire Boat Code, and should be as near to the helm position as is reasonably practicable.

On my little yacht I have a soft horseshoe float mounted on the stern pulpit, a boarding ladder in a bag that currently sits below but should also be tied to the stern pulpit and is capable of being deployed by somebody in the water once it is in place, and appropriate lifejackets (150N auto inflate for adults, and a Crewsaver foam-filled one for my son). I really should get a throwing line, although I do have two long mooring ropes in the cockpit that would serve at a pinch.

How long is the preferred line on a throwing line when using it from a narrowboat?

Depends how far you can throw! Try practising on some open ground then add 50% maybe?

Also make sure line bag has an open loop for casualty to easily grab, also handy for throwing, best for security if it is incorporated in the end of the line,

I keep reading about throwing towards the swimmer or near to the swimmer, surely it's best to assume anyone in trouble is a non-swimmer?

ETA: having too long a line can waste valuable seconds gathering it in for repeat throws.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I also heard that people who are drowning don't make a noise, they don't thrash around, they just slip under the water quietly... it upset me a bit to think about it. My neighbours 6 year old daughter saved her friend in a swimming pool, nobody had noticed she was in trouble, she was just sinking quietly, then vanished. The friend went under the water and pushed her up to the top, she was ok but it could have been so tragic.

Depends how far you can throw! Try practising on some open ground then add 50% maybe?

I keep reading about throwing towards the swimmer or near to the swimmer, surely it's best to assume anyone in trouble is a non-swimmer?

ETA: having too long a line can waste valuable seconds gathering it in for repeat throws.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that you should throw it past the person in the water then pull it towards them - if they are in trouble and it doesn't reach it isn't going to do much good, and if you throw it too close you could hit them and cause more trouble

I'm sure that I read somewhere that you should throw it past the person in the water then pull it towards them - if they are in trouble and it doesn't reach it isn't going to do much good, and if you throw it too close you could hit them and cause more trouble

Yes that's right, aim beyond but be wary of trying to aim off, a light bag on the end of a line is very unlikely to cause much injury, better to actually get the line to them quickly rather than spend time trying to get things just so.

I also heard that people who are drowning don't make a noise, they don't thrash around, they just slip under the water quietly... it upset me a bit to think about it. My neighbours 6 year old daughter saved her friend in a swimming pool, nobody had noticed she was in trouble, she was just sinking quietly, then vanished. The friend went under the water and pushed her up to the top, she was ok but it could have been so tragic.

Quite true generally i think. When someone is struck with complete and utter panic they usually can't utter a sound even though they try to especially if the waters cold.

Quite true generally i think. When someone is struck with complete and utter panic they usually can't utter a sound even though they try to especially if the waters cold.

I think this article "Drowning doesn't look like drowning" should be compulsory reading for everyone on the waterways.

• Greenie 3

Has anyone actually used one?

Several times from the 'guard instruction' boat when i taught dinghy sailing,to anyone who looked in trouble or who had been parted from their boat during a capsize despite them wearing life jackets until we could maneuver and get to them as we sometimes in strong fluky winds had several capsizes to deal with at one time. We carried most lifebuoy rings with heaving lines also some without.

A chap fell from a boat into the river Shannon Ireland and hollered out to his mate,''Trow me a loin wit yer''.His mate threw him the Sunday Joint. :closedeyes:

Does he roll special joints for a Sunday then?

I rescued a lad by throwing a mooring rope, luckily I am quite good at it and always coil them read for use, it went right over his shoulder so he had no problem grabbing it. He was small enough for me to lift straight out when I had him alongside

Yes. Lost control of the boat in a large lock once (long story) and the dog fell overboard. Chucked the life ring between boat and lock wall, stopped the dog from getting squashed.

We carry a soft horseshoe type lifering with a line attached.

One October, on the Staffs & worcs canal, my wife slipped while stepping onto the back of the boat at the tail of a lock and fell in, injuring her shoulder as she fell. I threw a mooring rope to her, but that caught around her legs and caused more problems. I then threw the life ring which is stowed just inside the steering hatch. The life ring was a real life saver as the pain of her injury ant the shock of the cold water was making it a dangerous situation, even though the canal is quite a small waterway. The line attached to the lifering help me drag her to the bank.

I also now carry a solid ladder and a rope ladder to help getting out of the water.

I carry one, along with flares and distress rockets and anything else I might need in 3 foot of water......

The do make good fenders mind

When I first started this thread, I was wondering if a lifering was necessary in 3 feet of water, but I guess if a child is 2'6"... And what about locks, they're a bit deeper than 3 feet aren't they?

When I first started this thread, I was wondering if a lifering was necessary in 3 feet of water, but I guess if a child is 2'6"... And what about locks, they're a bit deeper than 3 feet aren't they?

Generally the advice for an adult who falls in is indeed to stand up - you can still easily drown in three feet of water though. That advice also assumes that someone will remain rationale and calm not realising just how shallow it actually is or that they will not injure themselves on the way in.

That said whilst a lot of the system is only around 3 feet deep many parts of the system are a lot deeper. It is a lot deeper than 3 feet up our way - I am told the water in our marina is 8 feet deep.

Edited by The Dog House