BW Residential Moorings and Council Tax

Fat Boat

Featured Posts

I dont know if these ratings are 'standard' but these are our local council bands :

Band A Up to £40,000

Band B £40,001 to £52,000

Band C £52,001 to £68,000

Band D £68,001 to £88,000

Band E £88,001 to £120,000

Band F £120,001 to £160,000

Band G £160,001 to £320,000

Band H Over £320,000

It looks almost as if a 'des-res' boat could fit into almost any band.

I believe they are standard bands; but remember they are based on 1991 values, so I think it is hard to see very many boats falling outside band A.

I believe they are standard bands; but remember they are based on 1991 values, so I think it is hard to see very many boats falling outside band A.

We were still in Wales when the new valuation and banding came into force in 2005 - but - yes England still refers back to 1991.

Maybe you shouldn't get a residential mooring in Wales as its 'value' will be higher than an English one !!!

We were still in Wales when the new valuation and banding came into force in 2005 - but - yes England still refers back to 1991.

Maybe you shouldn't get a residential mooring in Wales as its 'value' will be higher than an English one !!!

Didn't realise it was different in Wales, unusual that its not more favourable, most things like this in Wales usually seem to be.

Can't imagine anyone is actually going to value a boat for the purpose of this, and is it really just the value of the boat anyway, a house valuation I assume includes the cost of the land.

Taken from the K&A boating website - its 'correctness' is unknown.

[/i]

Quite. I always remember that TV programme when a K&A cc-er explained that her licence includes council tax so she not need to pay Council Tax.

Much better to look here: http://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/Publications/Manuals/RatingManual/RatingManualVolume5/sect670/toc.html#TopOfPage

Note: If you pay Council Tax elsewhere then you may not need to pay Council Tax on the boat. I've been in that situation and we got our rates bill cancelled.

You can search for your mooring's valuation here: http://www.voa.gov.uk/cti/InitS.asp?lcn=0

The Local Council has nothing to do with valuation, it is the Valuation Office that does it.

Bengo is correct, the boat is considered a chattel and not subject to CT. The mooring can be, depends on your mooring terms.

Try a Google search, very revealing.

Richard

Anyone seen my coat ;)

Upon moving into Apsley Marina (then Bw owned, later it became BWML although our cheques were still signed to BW! :unsure: )about 9/10 years ago, when it first opened, we were on a residential mooring and subject to paying council tax. The marina insisted that they were able to place overnight boats upon our poontoons when we were away, and that they could use our hook up! :angry: We decided to question that we were therefore eligable to pay the council tax and took the local authority to a tribunal. We compiled evidence, such as over-nighter boaters standing next to their boats on residential pontoons holding their receipts, money that the so called council tax payer (us) would never see. We won. To this day Apsley marina residential moorings do not pay council tax.

I have heard that other marinas have tried a similar approach and not been successful, but I don't see why.

Ask other moorers what they pay on their moorings within the marina.

Don't be afraid to contest it and take it to a tribunal, but have hard evidence with you.

We were charged Band A and got a nice little rebate once the case was won.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Should boaters who live on permanent mooring on line or marina pay council tax

By gum - took you a long time to muster up your first post and then you pile in with a nice none controversial one like that....

Welcome anyway.

My answer would be if it's a residential mooring and the boat is their main residence then yes they should.

By gum - took you a long time to muster up your first post and then you pile in with a nice none controversial one like that....

Welcome anyway.

My answer would be if it's a residential mooring and the boat is their main residence then yes they should.

but he is in (a) Timewarp ;)

Not doin' this one again. We've only just had it.

Short answer - On principle yes; not completely morally justified; Alternative banding; not mixed up with Marina charges; not through licence fee; clear residential connection.

In effect, not completely sold on the idea.

Don't know where it's going. Probably won't have a choice.

Due to various reasons, my boat has used the same 57ft of water for the past 9 months.

In order to do this, I am charged £80..per month by CART..

For the same 57ft of water, I have to pay the marina £140 ..per month.

To live on the same 57ft of water, ...I have to pay the council £100 ...per month.

Just the way it is. 3 different charges, for the SAME 57ft of water.

Due to various reasons, my boat has used the same 57ft of water for the past 9 months.

To live on the same 57ft of water, ...I have to pay the council £100 ...per month.

VAT, I'm afraid. Value Added Tripe, or is it Value Added Tripling. I'm not educated enough to question the wisdom behind it all. :blink:

Not a lot of difference between a permanent home , whether it's bricks an mortar or a boat , which I guess is the point.

Not a lot of difference between a permanent home , whether it's bricks an mortar or a boat , which I guess is the point.

Try having a house without it's land, or better still - charge for it every year.

We could have a land tax every year. People live in houses and use them for leisure.

Because they are residential, why not charge a rent. A bit like a mooring fee. They never move.

And to make sure everyone is happy, can't forget the CT.

• Greenie 2

To everyone concerned about paying council taxes: There is NO such a LAW in UK that anyone must pay taxes!!!! There are ACTS, but if you consider your self a human being with soul not a corporation these ACTS doesn't apply to you unless you agree. I think this applies for the licenses payable to British waterways too, but not sure yet (on the way to discover it). If you would like to find out more about it here is a link on youtube from the court.

To everyone concerned about paying council taxes: There is NO such a LAW in UK that anyone must pay taxes!!!! There are ACTS, but if you consider your self a human being with soul not a corporation these ACTS doesn't apply to you unless you agree. I think this applies for the licenses payable to British waterways too, but not sure yet (on the way to discover it). If you would like to find out more about it here is a link on youtube from the court.

I see, we have another Barrack Room lawyer.......eh?

Are you sure your boat name isn't 'Freeloader'

So whom would you like to pay for your bit of societies infrastructure?

Edited by Grace & Favour

Try having a house without it's land, or better still - charge for it every year.

We could have a land tax every year. People live in houses and use them for leisure.

Because they are residential, why not charge a rent. A bit like a mooring fee. They never move.

And to make sure everyone is happy, can't forget the CT.

You are advocating a return to domestic rating?

You are advocating a return to domestic rating?

Want.

A bit less hysteria about boaters' moral duty to pay CT. A bit of balance. Boaters are not in the same position as householders.

We can never be in the position to own the water beneath our boats. Why (tongue in cheek) should householders expect to own the land beneath their houses. We are different.

We own our boats and can never own the land we step onto, for most of us. For the notional idea of being attached to civic life, we have to pay a mooring, with all its duplicated services. If we were part of a national structure of civic considerations, we would have parity with householders. C&RT would not be necessary and servicing of the canal would be part an infrastructure. We pay alot of money and are disconnected from mainstream issues.

Do householders,after paying their bills, go out with a begging bowl - don't think so. They'd be rioting; their's is all found for the money they pay. And still, they only pay once for their rubbish to be removed. Let them pay three times.

I don't think I am finished there, but it's late.

Edited by Higgs

Want.

A bit less hysteria about boaters' moral duty to pay CT. A bit of balance. Boaters are not in the same position as householders.

We can never be in the position to own the water beneath our boats. Why (tongue in cheek) should householders expect to own the land beneath their houses. We are different.

We own our boats and can never own the land we step onto, for most of us. For the notional idea of being attached to civic life, we have to pay a mooring, with all its duplicated services. If we were part of a national structure of civic considerations, we would have parity with householders. C&RT would not be necessary and servicing of the canal would be part an infrastructure. We pay alot of money and are disconnected from mainstream issues.

Do householders,after paying their bills, go out with a begging bowl - don't think so. They'd be rioting; their's is all found for the money they pay. And still, they only pay once for their rubbish to be removed. Let them pay three times.

I don't think I am finished there, but it's late.

Sorry to disappoint you but I disagree, you have chosen to use your boat as a permanent residence (your choice and I will probably be doing the same next year) you have also chosen to take up a permanent mooring rather than continuously cruise. This choice enables you to work and make use of the wider infrastructure and services so council tax is fair. You choose to live in a marina and pay their fees you could choose to buy land with mooring , yes like paying rent, lease or freehold with property.

Unfortunately I don't think buying a boat and living on it entitles you to opt out of the wider social structure of the UK.

To everyone concerned about paying council taxes: There is NO such a LAW in UK that anyone must pay taxes!!!! There are ACTS, but if you consider your self a human being with soul not a corporation these ACTS doesn't apply to you unless you agree.

Pseudo-anarchist claptrap.

Could I ask how many times you have been jailed for your beliefs and, whether or not you deduct vat at point of sale or reclaim it at the end of the financial year?

I'm sure that if your loophole existed millionaires would be exploiting it and not just a few people who have corrupted a few quotes for their own selfish aims.

So how will that work then?

- if we all said 'I'm a human being with a soul not a corporation and I don't agree these acts apply to me'

- wouldn't that sort of cause an ever so slight funding issue for the maintenance of the waterways which would very quickly grind to a halt....or would the tax fairy step in and pay for it all?

You are being ridiculous.