GPS

Mimi

Featured Posts

Hi there, I am new to this forum but not so new to the canal world. My other half has a question. Has anyone any experience with using a GPS system.. something like Tom Tom on the canals. I know that there is a canal planner buy never heard of anyone using GPS. (can you tell he is in the Merchant Navy :banghead: )

Moving slightly away from the 'Route finding' benefits of a GPS system, I've recently wondered how I could explain to any of the Emergency Services where "The Emergency" was on the Cut.

I've got an old hand held Magellan GPS (for catweasel)unit that can display position as OS Grid Reference or Latitude/Longitude, which seems to me to be much more useful to the Emergency Control Room operator than "Somewhere on the K&A between Devizes and Newbury, and I can't remember the last bridge number that I went under, because I'm suffering from short term memory loss, as well"

Seems to me that you couldn't go to far wrong with an OS map and if you had one kicking around, a GPS, but I wouldn't buy one for route finding on the Canal network

Edited by cyclic

Moving slightly away from the 'Route finding' benefits of a GPS system, I've recently wondered how I could explain to any of the Emergency Services where "The Emergency" was on the Cut.

I've got an old hand held Magellan unit that can display position as OS Grid Reference or Latitude/Longitude, which seems to me to be much more useful to the Emergency Control Room operator than "Somewhere on the K&A between Devizes and Newbury, and I can't remember the last bridge number that I went under, because I'm suffering from short term memory loss, as well"

Seems to me that you couldn't go to far wrong with an OS map and if you had one kicking around, a GPS, but I wouldn't buy one for route finding on the Canal network

I would forget where I had put the Magellan unit (if I knew what one was).

Well I know someone whos just had a boat built and he reckons he`s having a Navman fitted at £800 (supllied by the fitter) which will show all the canals and locks ect ect, I`ve done a search on Navman and cant find any such programs for it. So I dont know if it`s Bull s£$t or what.

I reckon in the car they are brilliant but on the canals, even if they do do them, it would be a waste of money.

You can get boat/marine type GPS units but I dont know of one that does canals, generally rivers and sea ports.

I've looked into this task a number of times now and just about to put some software together to try and tie the GPS/Maps/Blogs/Route planning into one item. Probably accessable through a mobile phone and/or laptop.

I treated myself to an Etrex Legend out of my 'boating fund'. It is only a 'toy' but a useful one. Stupidly I lost it when I left it on the cabin roof after shutting the canopy (the first expensive thing I've ever lost).

On a boat I would still recommend a hand held one, as it can also be used to mark location of the boat when returning in unknown destinations (from the pub maybe) :banghead:

As laptops are now relatively cheap and common, they can be linked to these for larger displays etc. Although if you are going on the 'high seas' a chartplotter is now the preferred option.

I think someone on the Norman forum normanboats.co.uk did some mapping on a GPS, to include the system.

That should of course read the waterways system.

Daniel mentions the 'lack of need of a GPS even in the middle of Birmingham' but I can assure you that back in 1976ish I ended up in a 'dead end' that seemed , at the time, to be the correct route to follow. I'm not sure but I believe that it may have been what is now the 'Post Box'? !!

I wouldn't be too sure it would! My tom tom will often say I've taken off one route only to correct itself once the roads are far enough apart. I haven't used my GPS for route planning, but have for "facility finding"! I was moored overnight at Norton Junction and heading to Braunston, where I mentioned I'd stop for the shop and they said Daventree is a mile from Braunston tunnel and there's a big Tesco there - checking my sat nav I found it to b e quite straight forward.

Not used the speed indicator to see how fast I was going, rarely in a rush and would it know the difference between 2mph & 3??

• 4 weeks later...
Not used the speed indicator to see how fast I was going, rarely in a rush and would it know the difference between 2mph & 3??

I took my little Garmin i3 out for a chug to see what kind of speed it read and it seemed quite good, definitely slowed down through bridges and in shallow bits and coming to a lift bridge it counted down nicely in tenths of a mile to zero and then had me going slightly in the opposite direction as I avoided clouting the bridge. It even measured me drifting sideways [NE] when I was mooring up. I now know [or think I know] that I tend to cruise at about 2.5mph and flat out is 4.3mph.

Ric.

• 3 months later...

I have recently bought a Garmin Geko, on offer from Blacks at 75 UKP. It does three things that I wanted it to do,

1-Position in case of emergency, already mentioned

2-Direction of boat travel, i.e. heading. This may seem unimportant until you are trying to find a mooring where you can "see" the Sky satellite. If your heading is 151 or 331 degrees you know that the sat is in front/behind you. For other heading you can make visual allowances. I have to say that there has been much less aggresion onboard since this facility has been available. Previously we used to look at the canal guide to try and find a suitable stretch, pull across to the towpath, hold the boat on the centre line and then walk along the towpath so that the compass doesn't just point at the large chunk of steel you have just got off. You then find that there is a bridge, tree, hill, house or whatever in the way so back on board and repeat, or have an altercation. You can't of course use a magnetic compass on a steel boat because it just points at the boat.

3-Speed, not overly important but interesting.

Rich

I always thought that I cruised at 4mph on canals which I was always told is a brisk walking speed.

When I got a Magellan handheld GPS, some time ago now, I realised that my speed was nearer 3 mph and my average

cruising between locks was only 2.5 mph.

If I plan trips on Canal Planner which I have on my PC, I always use 2.5 mph as the calculation speed.

Edited by NB Willawaw

2-Direction of boat travel, i.e. heading. This may seem unimportant until you are trying to find a mooring where you can "see" the Sky satellite. If your heading is 151 or 331 degrees you know that the sat is in front/behind you. For other heading you can make visual allowances. I have to say that there has been much less aggresion onboard since this facility has been available. Previously we used to look at the canal guide to try and find a suitable stretch, pull across to the towpath, hold the boat on the centre line and then walk along the towpath so that the compass doesn't just point at the large chunk of steel you have just got off. You then find that there is a bridge, tree, hill, house or whatever in the way so back on board and repeat, or have an altercation. You can't of course use a magnetic compass on a steel boat because it just points at the boat.

Rich

In the Nicholson guide books, the top of the page is always north so you can tell what bearing the canal lies on before mooring. Helps choose a mooring for satellite reception.

In the Nicholson guide books, the top of the page is always north so you can tell what bearing the canal lies on before mooring. Helps choose a mooring for satellite reception.

Not in my Nicholson's. They are an older edition though. It's true that North is generally nearer to the top of the page than to the bottom, but the top of the page could be anywhere from East via North to West. On some pages it even changes mid-page to make the map fit better.

If the sun is shining, moor up at 4.40pm (summer time) and stretch your arms out straight sideways like a scarecrow. Now dance round gently until your right arm is pointing straight at the sun. Look straight ahead, that is the direction you need to point the dish for Sky, so if you're looking at a tree or a brick wall you need to move; if you're looking into space, that'll do. If you're a bit later, just go to the left a bit to compensate.

The other version of this is only useful if you're staying in the same place for a couple of days. At 10.40am (summer time) just point it straight towards the sun (although lower down at the usual elevation, of course) and that's it.

Several times I've done this, without even using the satellite finder, then as I've stepped inside the boat to check the signal strength monitor on the TV that infernal music has been playing already!

If the sun is shining, moor up at 4.40pm (summer time) and stretch your arms out straight sideways like a scarecrow. Now dance round gently until your right arm is pointing straight at the sun. Look straight ahead, that is the direction you need to point the dish for Sky, so if you're looking at a tree or a brick wall you need to move; if you're looking into space, that'll do. If you're a bit later, just go to the left a bit to compensate.

Hmm..... I'd moor somewhere else if I saw you doing that. The dogs would go bonkers.

Could one use a sundial on the roof perhaps, or modify one to use the Sat dish as the Gnomon. :rolleyes:

Not in my Nicholson's. They are an older edition though. It's true that North is generally nearer to the top of the page than to the bottom, but the top of the page could be anywhere from East via North to West. On some pages it even changes mid-page to make the map fit better.

Perhaps I have just been very lucky? Using the Nicholson guide has never failed me yet (my set are all less than 2 years old).

Let's face it, GPS on the canals is just a toy. And that's assuming you can justify it in a car.

Actually there are quite a few reasons to have one!

- Emergencies, middle of nowhere you try getting police, ambulance or fire brigade to find a puddle!

- Accurate speed measurement, it is surprising how the optimum speed varies between canals and even in different directions, but probably more useful on rivers where there is some flow.

- Also gives you the time and sunrise or sunset, so you now how long you've got left before you have to tie up in the dark.

Mines waterproof too!

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading one of my Nicholson’s – Four Counties & the Welsh Canals printed 2006.

On the inside of the back page is the ‘key to symbols’. I have been trying to find out what the symbol that looks like a little blue house means, still haven’t found out ??

Any way, printed at the bottom of the page is - quote:

Scale and north point

The maps are at a scale of 2 inches to one mile (3cm to 1km)

North is always at the top of the page.

I have been trying to find out what the symbol that looks like a little blue house means, still haven’t found out ??

It's a combined services facility, water, waste, elsan and toilets.

Just been reading one of my Nicholson's – Four Counties & the Welsh Canals printed 2006.

On the inside of the back page is the 'key to symbols'. I have been trying to find out what the symbol that looks like a little blue house means, still haven't found out ??

Any way, printed at the bottom of the page is - quote:

Scale and north point

The maps are at a scale of 2 inches to one mile (3cm to 1km)

North is always at the top of the page.

So how do they go on when the canal/river is going east to west? :cheers:

• 9 months later...

Hi!

I have had a "Garmin Quest" for many years now. I use it mainly for the car and this model doesn't have a post code facility, which I would find useful at times.

On the canals, it's quite fun having it on the roof when cruising, as it will give you a pretty accurte speed indication. Mine shows canals and rivers etc., and will follow these quite happily. It usually confirms that I am actually cruising slower than I think I am! When using it during cruising, it is, as others have mentioned, mainly a toy.

However, It is fantastic when leaving a car and having to locate the car later on, or the reverse, locating the boat. I ALWAYS use my Garmin for this.

I went to the Little Venice Cavalcade last weekend. I left my car near the "Tesco Extra" right on the Paddington Arm junction with the GU. I don't know this area of Southall at all and always get lost around this and the Hayes area. However, with my Garmin, (On my folding mini-moped) it is invaluable and worh every penny I paid for it. I fold the moped up and put in the boot of the car when I reach it. When cruising, I usually put the moped on the roof of the boat.

If you have the situation where you often have to make the car catch the boat up, (Or the other way around,) it doesn't matter if you take a taxi, bus, cycle, or walk to do this, my Garmin takes me right to the correct location every time. (It has only failed me once! That was when I didn't check the battery siutation and the battery went flat on me!

I hope this info. helps you make up your mind whether a Sat Nav piece of kit, (Which is quite expensive,) would be useul for your particular situation.

Happy cruising. ~Allan~