GPS

Mimi

Featured Posts

Just been reading one of my Nicholson’s – Four Counties & the Welsh Canals printed 2006.

Any way, printed at the bottom of the page is - quote:

Scale and north point

The maps are at a scale of 2 inches to one mile (3cm to 1km)

North is always at the top of the page.

...but not in the older and, IMHO, much better, editions.

Tim

I use a Garmin Zumo 550... mainly for Bike use, partly for car use and occasionally for on-canal use...

Being primarily a bike orientated device, it does NOT have a hard drive ( they are susceptible to vibration, is waterproof and can be operated by a gloved hand... and is generally very robust.

It has an internal battery which is claimed to last for 4 hours on a charge, but mine has lasted up to 6 hours, or via external 12 to 24 volts.

It has an "off - road " feature / option so won't try to pull you back on to the nearest road..

I have found it useful for "getting to know" engine revs versus speed, although this can vary significantly with river speeds..

It has a large internal database of things like cash-points, petrol stations, and shops ( and hospitals etc etc ) and a short walk along the tow-path ( boat length) will tell you the boat heading when you moor up if you hadn't noticed as you were coming to a stop.

Its use for "planning a route is somewhat limited :o but it does keep a track from which you can see distance and speeds travelled during the day if that is of interest...

..... and it tells you where you are !!

I like them and would try to remember to make sure its on board when I am..

Nick

GPS is very useful for recording the precise location of photographs. You can use software like RoboGEO which can then record the location on the EXIF headers of the images. Obviously important that the time is coordinated on camera and GPS (not difficult).

As most of the regular forum members will know I've a keen interest in the GPS/sat nav type stuff, and built the website mentioned above.

I've also been working in conjunction with a couple of forum members to build a realtime mapping application you can use on your boat, I've shown a few screenshots below. It uses the same maps as Water Explorer, and can also keep a log of your journeys, and also show distance/time to next lock, junction, winding hole etc.

The speed can be true GPS reported speed or as an average over time (true GPS speed can be a problem for cheaper receivers).

It also supports and external USB powered LCD screen that you could mount near the steering position on the boat so you can see whats next.

Let me know if you want to have a try of this software, its still in testing stage but would definatelly benefit from your help. You'll need at least a GPS unit (cheap £25 one from ebay is fine) and a laptop on your boat. I'm also after GPS recordings to help improve the mapping data!

PM me on the forum if your interested.

navvygator-ss1.png

navvygator-ss2.png

That sounds a great system from Stuart, logging journeys might help as a natural log if it comes to pass that boaters have to kee p a log of their journeys to prove fuel use. Just a thought.

I like planning a route using google Earth. It does show all the locks and other ammenities, i also like the birds eye view, and the fact you can see where yonu are in relation to towns and villages, so finding short cuts to get to shops pubs etc. So in conjunction with a sat nav, you can use Google earth to view your surroundings, if you don't know exactly where you are.

On the subject of google Earth In 2005 we were moored on the River Avon in Bath. My mum lives just over the road from where ours and my brothers boats were mored. Last year whilst looking at google earth and our relative addresses. My brother noticed our boats are in the Earth picture for that area.

GoogleEarth_Imagewithphotograph.jpg

One nice thing with some of the GPS models is their logging capability, already mentioned in this thread and elsewhere. With newer models and a SiRF III or similar receiver you no longer need a clear view to the sky. They just keep recording, producing a continuous journal are with locations and times, quite convenient for the wrap-up of any trip, including boating.

Here is my version of the Stourport Ring (incl extension):

th_StourportRingTracklog.jpg

I didn't mark any locks, bridges or other waterway features. Canalplan waypoints seemed quite accurate. Anyway, if the log is of help to ongoing software developments, I'll be happy to make it available.

Roland