Google maps

dor

Featured Posts

BW should put cameras on their boats so we all can see the canals on streetview.

They are streetviewing the towpaths. Jo from Hadar saw the camera on a trike at Chirk a few weeks ago. It's on her blog here.

Edited by adam1uk

I think this is a great idea...

I'm less sure. Here's what just might happen:

• they do this, putting the towpaths in and providing some very basic planning - like they do for walking and driving - but without anything sophisticated like different speeds for different times of waterways and the like
  • because it's Google any attempt for people who don't know to find out about canal route planning pulls their pages up
  • which means that new users never find CanalPlanAC and so don't look at the adverts on it
  • which means that we don't get enough revenue to pay for our huge bandwidth requirements
  • so it's no longer possible to provide a really sophisticated free route planner to you all
  • so you get stuck with only Google's basic planner

I hope not, and I'm going to see what I can do to prevent this happening, but I certainly can't rule it out.

Edited by Nick (CanalPlanAC)

• they do this, putting the towpaths in and providing some very basic planning - like they do for walking and driving - but without anything sophisticated like different speeds for different times of waterways and the like
  • because it's Google any attempt for people who don't know to find out about canal route planning pulls their pages up
  • which means that new users never find CanalPlanAC and so don't look at the adverts on it
  • which means that we don't get enough revenue to pay for our huge bandwidth requirements
  • so it's no longer possible to provide a really sophisticated free route planner to you all

I hope not, and I'm going to see what I can do to prevent this happening, but I certainly can't rule it out.

Nick I am sure google would be open to a conversation.

Having streetview of the towpaths available will be extremely useful I think, but I can understand Nick's point, that it may drive traffic away from CanalPlanAC, which is not a good thing.

It may not be that bad though, and this is a very unscientific test, but try doing a google search for "free email", I would expect gmail to come out top. It does not, it is top in the ads on the right hand side (which you can control to a point anyway) but in the search results hotmail and yahoo both come out before gmail, so perhaps not all doom and gloom about google promoting themselves over competition in the actual search results.

From all the reports I have seen it appears they are only mapping the towpaths as a walking route, so I don't see that it will replace CanalPlanAC.

The other question is should we all turn off our Wifi devices as the trike goes by, given the amount of trouble Google are still in about collecting additional information during the street view surveys?

MMMMm. yes maybe I'm not seeing the fuller implications of this - I do think though if they managed to pull off a 'Street' view type service for canals and rivers it would potentially generate more interest in the water ways which overall should be a good thing.

ed to add - what will be interesting to see is how many places NB Sickle and Chalice turn up in....I reckon they'll be picked up on just about any/all parts of the southern bits.... :lol:

Edited by MJG

Well you can always put a negative spin on something if you want to, can't you?

(Wait for "horror shock" headline from NBW, who haven't thought of this angle on this story - yet!)

If Google are going to have the towpaths available on Streetview (post 3 above), then they have to know where to send their cameras to, right?

Well you can always put a negative spin on something if you want to, can't you?

(Wait for "horror shock" headline from NBW, who haven't thought of this angle on this story - yet!)

If Google are going to have the towpaths available on Streetview (post 3 above), then they have to know where to send their cameras to, right?

Nicholsons are pretty good.

Some of the 'comments' that follow the Guardian article make interesting and slightly worrying reading

Indeed, some of those people really should not be allowed out alone.

This one made me laugh though

"How the fook does a "geospatial technologist" find work when out of a job."

they stack shelves like everyone else

I should think that Google and BW are in discussion over the cost of airbrushing.

It's going to be one of those rolling scenery sets. You'll keep seeing the same tree go by and see the same CM'er.

Edited by Higgs

Nick I am sure google would be open to a conversation.

I am sure they would - to offer you a choice between a 10p one-off payment for your business - or a bullet in your commercial head! Thats how big corporates usually operate, if they cant compete then they destroy!

Edited by WJM

Another worry is just how many authorities are using Google maps as their reference.

I had a whinge to our County Council about street lighting - the man at the other end of the phone was trying to locate the light in question via Google maps.

So just how far do you trust these maps?

We just have to hope that one of the satnav manufacturers recognises them as being waterways, not roads. I can just see the chaos as they try to direct a car onto the canal instead of the road!

We just have to hope that one of the satnav manufacturers recognises them as being waterways, not roads. I can just see the chaos as they try to direct a car onto the canal instead of the road!

421430_4116998041231_1982037758_n.jpg