Malcolm Pearson

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Does anyone know anything about Malcolm Pearson who built boats in the late eighties early nineties.

There are a few boats mentioned on Jim Sheads site under M Pearson but I can find no other details about him. So can anyone enlighten me as to his pedigree?

A brief note in Graham Booth's "The Inland Boat Owners Book" (3rd edition) says....

Malcolm Pearson

Builder of fine BCN style narrowboats and, especially, tugs. Boats very well finished and detailed - even below the waterline. Alternated spells of boat-building with computing. Not active at present.

Not a lot of help, I realise, but I can't turn up any other reference, (like an old magazine advert, for example).

Does anyone know anything about Malcolm Pearson who built boats in the late eighties early nineties.

There are a few boats mentioned on Jim Sheads site under M Pearson but I can find no other details about him. So can anyone enlighten me as to his pedigree?

Builder of tug style narrowboats - great steelwork. If my memory isn't failing me, I think Chris Lloyd fitted out a few of them.

i'm sure there used to be a Pearson boat called Zander which used to tie up next to us at Langley Mill in the nineties. Also Stentor which is seen around Birmingham i think is a Pearson hull, or did i make that up?

Regards

Dan

i'm sure there used to be a Pearson boat called Zander which used to tie up next to us at Langley Mill in the nineties. Also Stentor which is seen around Birmingham i think is a Pearson hull, or did i make that up?

Regards

Dan

STENTOR is a Malcolm Pearson hull.

I knew Malcolm Pearson when he was building hulls at Sherborne Street Wharf, Birmingham in the early 1980's. Prior to being at Sherborne Street Wharf I believe he built the counter stern onto the ice boat EREBUS (Ailsa Craig RF1) and built the B.C.N. styled tug SULTAN (Armstrong Siddley AS3). Whilst at Sherborne street Wharf Malcolm built several hire boat shells for Brummagem Boats Ltd. who held the lease on the entire boatyard. More interestingly Malcolm went on to build several B.C.N. style tugs that were both elegant and well built.

tugs

1981 - KYLE - c45' (now 57') - (Lister FR2 - later replaced by Russell Newbery DM2) (built for the previous owner of SULTAN and fitted out by the owner)

1982 - TERROR - 60' - (B.M.C. 1.8) (fitted out by the owner) - now named DRIJFNAT and for sale on Apollo Duck website

1984 - TANTALUS - 50'

1985 - STENTOR - 60' - (Russell Newbery DM2) (possibly fitted out by Chris Lloyd)

pleasure boat

1982 - HARRIETT ANN (modern engine) (fitted out by owner of KYLE)

ZANDER (1982), LIEF (1984) and BECKDALE H (1985) also appear to have been built at Sherborne Street Wharf by the dates of their index numbers, and I am sure there were more that I do not recall. I do remember discussing with Malcolm the possibility of building a Pimblott style 'Admiral Class' motor.

Malcolm left Sherborne Street Wharf in about 1987 from when his apprentice took over boat building activities. Malcolm set up again a couple of years later operating out of Stourport but I know nothing of the boats he built there.

iIRC in his time at Stourport he either was or was part of Sirrus Yachts/boats. Yes there was one of his built boats at Langley Mill in 87/88 it used to moor about 4/5 boats up past the drydock office/shed on the Eastwood side of the cut

Is Harriett Ann the boat which used to be at Bourne End (owned at the time by A&A) - but then called just Harriett - and which had a 2 cylinder Gardner in it?

Chris G

HARREITT ANN is now named HARRIETT, and has been for at least 10 years. The last time I saw it was at the I.W.A. National Rally at Milton Keynes during August 2001 and it was named HARRIETT then. Prior to this I had last seen it during 1982 at Catherine De Barnes in the process of being fitted out. To be honest I do not recall what engine was fitted :captain:

There's a nice one of his boats at Frays Wharf, Cowley. No name on it at the moment but IIRC it's called "Cipres den Haag" or something similar. It was built early 90s with josher-esque lines.

• 11 months later...

1982 - HARRIETT ANN (modern engine) (fitted out by owner of KYLE)

ZANDER (1982), LIEF (1984) and BECKDALE H (1985) also appear to have been built at Sherborne Street Wharf by the dates of their index numbers, and I am sure there were more that I do not recall. I do remember discussing with Malcolm the possibility of building a Pimblott style 'Admiral Class' motor.

Hi Pete,

Interesting that you remember all of these. I decided recently to compile a register of my boats to publish on the web, but your mention of LIEF as being built in 1984 at Sherborne Street I think is wrong as I have no record of that build, in fact I have no record of a 47' boat at all. Oddly, it is also mentioned on Jim Shead's site,

Mal Pearson.

malcolmpearson.co.uk

Edited by malp

Hi Pete,

Interesting that you remember all of these. I decided recently to compile a register of my boats to publish on the web, but your mention of LIEF as being built in 1984 at Sherborne Street I think is wrong as I have no record of that build, in fact I have no record of a 47' boat at all. Oddly, it is also mentioned on Jim Shead's site,

Mal Pearson.

malcolmpearson.co.uk

To be honest I do not recall ZANDER (1982), LIEF (1984) and BECKDALE H (1985) being built at all, but I do remember you were building at Sherborne Street Wharf continuously during the time I was there. As I do not really keep records on modern boats I may have got this information from several different sources, which may be incorrect. This could well account for LIEF.

To be honest I do not recall ZANDER (1982), LIEF (1984) and BECKDALE H (1985) being built at all, but I do remember you were building at Sherborne Street Wharf continuously during the time I was there. As I do not really keep records on modern boats I may have got this information from several different sources, which may be incorrect. This could well account for LIEF.

Perhaps from Jim Shead in that case... ?

Mal Pearson.

malcolmpearson.co.uk

• 2 months later...

That's Zander, it was red, and sandwiched between us and Mike Harrison. Haven't seen it for a few years though.

Regards

Dan

I have just discovered ZANDER for sale on Apollo Duck, under the tugs section. It looks a bargain to me at only £21000, even though the quality of the fit out looks a bit iffy captain.gif

If I hadn't bought a new car (delivery expected next week) I would almost certainly buy this boat - even without seeing it.

Edited by pete harrison

• 1 year later...

1985 - STENTOR - 60' - (Russell Newbery DM2) (possibly fitted out by Chris Lloyd)

I can confirm that the back cabin of STENTOR, and I think the lining-out of the main cabin, was done by Chris Lloyd.

I seem to recall that the owner of the boat, Mike Russell, did the rest of the fitting out himself, very slowly over a number of years.

I helped Mike take STENTOR as a bare shell from Sherborne St to the wharf at Snarestone on the Ashby Canal that Chris Lloyd used.

Regards

Dan

Zander Is indeed a M Pearson built boat been up for sale a couple of times in the not to distant past I seem to remember he was involved in a boat building company in the Stourport area some time back, Sirrus yachts ?