Whitby here we come

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

You can all have a quiet week next week as we are planning on taking Naughty-Cal up the Yorkshire coast to Whitby and Scarborough with if time and weather permit a run up to Hartlepool thrown in for good measure.

No work tomorrow as we all battle to get the boats ready in time for our 8pm locking through Torksey Lock. Then an early morning (6.30am) start on Saturday so that we can make the most of the tide to take us to Spurn Point where we will anchor up or pick up a mooring buoy if any are spare and wait for the afternoon "free flow" into Grimsby Yacht Club to refuel and spend the evening in the bar.

Sunday should see us set off for Whitby reasonably early (7.30am) and with a good run we should be in Whitby by about 11am in time for a fish and chip dinner by the time we have washed NC down and put everything back in some kind of order and got showered and changed.

The plan is to have a couple of nights in Whitby to refuel and relax, followed by a night in hartlepool and then a couple of nights in Scarborough on our way home. Finally we are planning an overnight stop in Hull to refuel (again) before heading back to the confines of the Trent and finally the Fossditch. Hopefully we should land back at Torksey by Saturday lunchtime with enough time to lock through and head in search of some beer. Leaving Sunday to chill out and get the boat into some kind of tidy state ready for the following weekend.

All being well this should be a great start to 2012's salty water cruising for Naughty-Cal. Now all we need is kind weather, wind and waves :wacko:

• Greenie 1

I suspect Whitby will be even busier than usual this weekend given the Jubilee n'all that so be prepared to queue for them particularly at the Magpie Cafe, that said the staff at the take away below the cafe are normally very speedy because they are used to it.

The massive advantage of arriving by boat is you will avoid the inevitable traffic snarl ups and lack of parking that normally spoil any weekend trip to Whitby by car.

Have a great trip Racheal, and as I said a while ago give us a wave as you pass Saltburn if you do make your way to Hartlepool as sadly we won't be boating this weekend.

Edited by MJG

I suspect Whitby will be even busier than usual this weekend given the Jubilee n'all that so be prepared to queue for them particularly at the Magpie Cafe, that said the staff at the take away below the cafe are normally very speedy because they are used to it.

The massive advantage of arriving by boat is you will avoid the inevitable traffic snarl ups and lack of parking that normally spoil any weekend trip to Whitby by car.

Have a great trip Racheal, and as I said a while ago give us a wave as you pass Saltburn if you do make your way to Hartlepool as sadly we won't be boating this weekend.

Rang the harbour master yesterday and he said that they are expecting a lot of boats to turn up over the weekend. So although we will miss the traffic jams on the roads we will still have plenty of fun wedging all of the boats onto the limited visitor moorings :blink:

So although we will miss the traffic jams on the roads we will still have plenty of fun wedging all of the boats onto the limited visitor moorings :blink:

The annoying thing about mooring at Whitby is getting jammed into the Visitor's moorings then looking across the harbour to the pontoons belonging to the apartment block that have never been used.

I am extremely jealous, btw, and shall now sulk.

The annoying thing about mooring at Whitby is getting jammed into the Visitor's moorings then looking across the harbour to the pontoons belonging to the apartment block that have never been used.

I am extremely jealous, btw, and shall now sulk.

These??

Whitbymoorings.jpg

I've not noticed them before TBH. Presumably they are/were intended for the residents, who now that they have bought a no doubt expensive waterside apartment cannot also afford a boat.... :(

Edited by MJG

Rachael . . . . best get some of those excellent Whitby Kippers whilst you're there too.

Looking forward to the photo's B)

We are hoping if the weather is fine to get out and do some sea fishing. :cheers:

I've not noticed them before TBH. Presumably they are/were intended for the residents, who now that they have bought a no doubt expensive waterside apartment cannot also afford a boat.... :(

I think most of the apartments are now holiday lets and the owners, or agents, don't realise how lucrative the moorings could be.

I'd have happily paid £1500 for one for the lifeboat.

We are hoping if the weather is fine to get out and do some sea fishing. :cheers:

Oh shut up!

Perhaps, before posting, you should think about those of us who are missing our sea boat terribly. ;)

I think most of the apartments are now holiday lets and the owners, or agents, don't realise how lucrative the moorings could be.

I'd have happily paid £1500 for one for the lifeboat.

I suspect there are a lot of people who would be willing to pay a substantial amount to moor there. The waiting list for moorings in Whitby is outragous :wacko:

Oh shut up!

Perhaps, before posting, you should think about those of us who are missing our sea boat terribly. ;)

Look I have already told you I dont do that :P

Not jealous (really I am not) but my version of jealousy is to really, really hope your trip is as good as it can be, beyond superb if you like.

I know Whitby is famed for its fish and chips, last time I went it wasn't just that the fish was incredibly fresh (ee, this were swmmin' int norf sea three hours ago), the chips were also great.

Last time I was there I stayed in a B&B called Sea View, it's the only time I've had a bedroom window where the only thing you could see was sea. I enjoyed my walks up to the abandoned church, erosion may have done for that now.

Enjoy it, and tell all afterwards

I suspect there are a lot of people who would be willing to pay a substantial amount to moor there. The waiting list for moorings in Whitby is outragous :wacko:

Maybe they should take a leaf out of BW's book and operate an auction based system.....

or maybe not....

Maybe they should take a leaf out of BW's book and operate an auction based system.....

or maybe not....

They dont need to. They can charge an arm and a leg for a berth and still have people queueing for them. Seems to be the same for most coastal marinas and ports in this neck of the woods.

They dont need to. They can charge an arm and a leg for a berth and still have people queueing for them. Seems to be the same for most coastal marinas and ports in this neck of the woods.

I can't remember the detail but yes they seemed expensive when we enquired (before we settled on getting a NB obviously :captain: ). The other issue of course is the access (tidal) which isn't an issue at other places - notably Hartelpool.

I can't remember the detail but yes they seemed expensive when we enquired (before we settled on getting a NB obviously :captain: ). The other issue of course is the access (tidal) which isn't an issue at other places - notably Hartelpool.

The tidal access isnt really a problem at Whitby unless you are approaching low water springs. The bridge presents more of a problem for taller craft as it only opens on the hour and half hour for two hours either side of high water. Wont be an issue for us as we can all lower our arches and squeeze through anyway.

No the steps are there for good.

It's Whitby Abbey, btw, and now one of EH's Yorkshire flagship sites.

We fully intend to climb the flight of steps to visit the Abbey. Cant miss photo oppurtunities like those. :cheers:

Wont be an issue for us as we can all lower our arches and squeeze through anyway.

One thing is for certain - if NC doesn't squeeze under you are guaranteed a massive crowd to witness the event... even more than Wroxham....

You can all have a quiet week next week as we are planning on taking Naughty-Cal up the Yorkshire coast to Whitby and Scarborough with if time and weather permit a run up to Hartlepool thrown in for good measure.

No work tomorrow as we all battle to get the boats ready in time for our 8pm locking through Torksey Lock. Then an early morning (6.30am) start on Saturday so that we can make the most of the tide to take us to Spurn Point where we will anchor up or pick up a mooring buoy if any are spare and wait for the afternoon "free flow" into Grimsby Yacht Club to refuel and spend the evening in the bar.

Sunday should see us set off for Whitby reasonably early (7.30am) and with a good run we should be in Whitby by about 11am in time for a fish and chip dinner by the time we have washed NC down and put everything back in some kind of order and got showered and changed.

The plan is to have a couple of nights in Whitby to refuel and relax, followed by a night in hartlepool and then a couple of nights in Scarborough on our way home. Finally we are planning an overnight stop in Hull to refuel (again) before heading back to the confines of the Trent and finally the Fossditch. Hopefully we should land back at Torksey by Saturday lunchtime with enough time to lock through and head in search of some beer. Leaving Sunday to chill out and get the boat into some kind of tidy state ready for the following weekend.

All being well this should be a great start to 2012's salty water cruising for Naughty-Cal. Now all we need is kind weather, wind and waves :wacko:

Try to visit Staithes, just north of Whitby, if you can. Wonderful place. Also, if you get to Hartlepool, watch out for the locals- they're not too keen on strangers, especially the French.