Lifeboat conversions

talisman

Featured Posts

Surley if you got one of the very large lifeboats then a conversion would be much easier and more roomy plus it could be divided ito sections like living quater, heads, bunks all the normal stuff you find on pleasure craft

Yes indeed!

My ex-RNLI Barnett 51 is the one boat I've ever owned that I regret selling.

DSCF0198.jpg

I have seen that people have converted RNLI lifeboats and some look impressive for their age. the only trouble faced with offshore boats is their fuel tank size. they arent designed to circumnavigate the globe most will only do 24 hours at top speed. another trouble is balancing the boat out if it is too heavy on one side then it woll not drive in a straight line if at all

Saw a couple of converted 'enclosed' lifeboats on the K&A in September, including one down at Bath Marina which has been repainted battleship grey (or is that elephant gray...?). I think I saw the gray one on Apollo duck a few years ago for sale and it had a nice conversion done for liveaboard.

With regards to single handed running it, it would be an interesting exercise as " as built" the majority don't have access designed for easily popping on and off with a centre line. With one other person as crew be much easier! Boat handling is intresting as well. The helmsman is normally encased in the steering position and controls are basic with often a knort nozzle (tube surrounding the prop) rather than a traditional rudder.

I have seen that people have converted RNLI lifeboats and some look impressive for their age. the only trouble faced with offshore boats is their fuel tank size. they arent designed to circumnavigate the globe most will only do 24 hours at top speed. another trouble is balancing the boat out if it is too heavy on one side then it woll not drive in a straight line if at all

I don't think you have much experience of ex-RNLI boats then.

Mine had 2x200 gallon tanks and, at 1.5 gph may not have managed a circumnavigation of the globe but was certainly adequate for extended voyages.

The ex-RNLI Watson "Syn-Y-Mor" has circumnavigated the globe twice, by the way.

DSCF3607.jpg

As for stability, bear in mind these boats are going out to sea when all others are heading for safe harbour so, as long as you don't want a self-righter, are the most stable boats out there.

Edited by carlt

I am also involved with a charity that has an ex RNLI Tyne Class as one of their training vessels which I get to skipper from time to time. The fuel tanks are BIG at 3,500 lts however the fuel consumption makes your eyes water! A weeks worth of cruising on a narrowboat at 6hrs a day equates to about 1hr at eco cruising on the Tyne.....

rnli boats had decent fuel tank sizes but oil platform and maritime based versions do not

They are life"rafts", designed to keep people alive until real boats rescued them so they are obviously not designed for long voyages.

'Twas you who mentioned RNLI and lack of range and stability in the same breath.

• Greenie 1

I am also involved with a charity that has an ex RNLI Tyne Class as one of their training vessels which I get to skipper from time to time. The fuel tanks are BIG at 3,500 lts however the fuel consumption makes your eyes water!

Yes the modern day lifeboats have much different set-ups than the vintage stuff.

The Tyne's twin GMs dwarf my old boats Mermaids.

sorry I did not mean to link the two

no problem.

Any excuse to post photos of my two favourite boats is always welcome.

The only experience I've had with converted lifeboats suggests that while they can survive anything the sea throws at them and come out the right way up and still in one piece, they don't 'alf rock and roll when you get on and off or move around inside.

"When the boats a rockin', don't come knockin' " wink.png

Bye!

John

While nosing through Apollo, i noticed ex oil rig lifeboats for sale. Has anyone experience of converting one of these to live on? If they can be dropped off the side of a rig .they must be made of pretty substantial glass fibre. I have seen a couple of these brightly painted orange boats on the cut,quite like the look of them [im weird].I beleive the max length is 32ft but they are wider than narrowboats.They are cheap to buy and for the single handed boater like me, well its just a thought.I just like the idea of no rust problems and owning something a little different. Any comments?

London based one:

IMG_2205-M.jpg

Tim

I don't think you have much experience of ex-RNLI boats then.

Mine had 2x200 gallon tanks and, at 1.5 gph may not have managed a circumnavigation of the globe but was certainly adequate for extended voyages.

The ex-RNLI Watson "Syn-Y-Mor" has circumnavigated the globe twice, by the way.

As for stability, bear in mind these boats are going out to sea when all others are heading for safe harbour so, as long as you don't want a self-righter, are the most stable boats out there.

Hi Carl, only a small correction.The name is in Welsh, here's the translation :- Sŵn (=sound)-y (=the)-Môr (=Sea)

Welsh lesson over

Pob hwyl! (literally tara or goodbye)

iechyd da (cheers, literally = good health) cheers.gif

Edited by Chop!

Hi Carl, only a small correction.The name is in Welsh, here's the translation :- Sŵn (=sound)-y (=the)-Môr (=Sea)

Welsh lesson over

Thanks but I'm aware the name is Welsh and its meaning so no lesson necessary.

Apart from the typo there is no correction necessary either as the owners of the boat don't use the diddly bits over the 'w' or 'o' as can be seen in the photo.