Brum Tugs?

kevy19

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone.

Just wondered if anyone had any info on the Brum Tug's? The small narrow boats built in the 1980's by Brummagem Boats LTD of Sherborne Street Birmingham? Not much on the web I do have the original brochure and build agreement.

I have just brought one of these by the name strange name of "Bullock Smithy" I think it spent most of its life on the Peak Forest canal before moving further up North to Lancashire. Its is the version with the longer cabin so does not have to canvas hold as many of the Brum Tugs had would love to hear from anyone who has a Brum Tug or knows any info on them! It seems as it has faired quite well over the years but now does need certain works but the survey I had done gave it all in all for its age a very good report on the steel work. I have been told this may have been the last Brum Tug built? As I say I do have the original construction agreement with the names of the people who had it built its ID No was BT15? I wonder if this related to how many were built only I have read on line there were only 14 built so if that is the case maybe it does not as it seems this is Brum Tug 15 and then even more strange it has No 13 painted on the cabin side! So maybe it was Tug 13 But who knows!

Would love to hear from anyone with info on Brum Tugs it does have that strange agreement of the engine facing the wrong way and the shaft being driven by V Belts! The engine is a Vetus M2.06 but I think this is maybe a later fitted engine the boat was completed and handed over in April 1984.

Its a very nice looking boat I think with great lines still the inside does need a bit of updating but is still in very good condition for the age.

There are 10 pictures at the link below sorry some are abit dark! The rest are of my Narrow beam Freeman 22 I have restored over the last 5 years.

https://picasaweb.google.com/kevbygrave/Freeman22610BeamCharlotteRose#

Best wishes

Kevin.

I rented one about 16 years ago.

The best boat I have ever used.

I went to rent it the following year and the hire people said they had withdrawn it from their fleet and it was up for sale at £13k.

I phoned back a week later to say I was interested in buying it but was told it had been sold one hour ago !!

:(

bea1.jpg

bea2.jpg

beav3.jpg

beav4.jpg

beav5.jpg

Hi Everyone.

Just wondered if anyone had any info on the Brum Tug's? The small narrow boats built in the 1980's by Brummagem Boats LTD of Sherborne Street Birmingham? Not much on the web I do have the original brochure and build agreement.

I have just brought one of these by the name strange name of "Bullock Smithy" I think it spent most of its life on the Peak Forest canal before moving further up North to Lancashire.

Kevin.

Bullock Smithy spent many years based at Furness Vale Marina. I wondered where it had gone!

BTW "Bullock Smithy" is the old name for the village/town/suburb of Stockport (take your pick) now known as "Hazel Grove".

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

That interior is gorgeous - no updating needed!

And I think the name's great too.

Come on Sarah.......

A nice bit of white oak? Some marble worktops? Some blue LED under gunnel down lighters?

Sorted.........

:sick:

Hi And thanks.

Laurie. Loved the pictures thanks! Looks like you had a great time! I think this NB boat is going to be fun and its such an ideal size for me being single but room for friends as well.

Chertsey!

I agree the interior is in very good condition and I plan to keep most of it as is! I like the pine look! By updating I was just referring to the gas fridge and old cooker! Which look a bit dated and worn out! I'm certainly not going to get the paint brush out and spoil the pine look!

George.

Thanks, yes I had been told about the name re Hazel Grove and how it relates to that area! I rather like the name too. Funny enough I have a few old receipts for Furness Vale Marina in with all the info left on the boat! So thanks the last few years the boat was moored up at Rufford Lancs I intend to use on the Grand Union and Nene now so this is the furthest South the boat has ever been moored I think. Great to hear from

Best wishes Kevin.

Hi And thanks.

Laurie. Loved the pictures thanks! Looks like you had a great time! I think this NB boat is going to be fun and its such an ideal size for me being single but room for friends as well.

Chertsey!

I agree the interior is in very good condition and I plan to keep most of it as is! I like the pine look! By updating I was just referring to the gas fridge and old cooker! Which look a bit dated and worn out! I'm certainly not going to get the paint brush out and spoil the pine look!

George.

Thanks, yes I had been told about the name re Hazel Grove and how it relates to that area! I rather like the name too. Funny enough I have a few old receipts for Furness Vale Marina in with all the info left on the boat! So thanks the last few years the boat was moored up at Rufford Lancs I intend to use on the Grand Union and Nene now so this is the furthest South the boat has ever been moored I think. Great to hear from

Best wishes Kevin.

One of the best holidays we ever had, we ended up buying a 35ft Springer Tug :)

hungerford.jpg

Please keep the interior as it is :) Great boat well done :)

Edited by Laurie.Booth

Hi Everyone.

I have just brought one of these by the name strange name of "Bullock Smithy" I think it spent most of its life on the Peak Forest canal before moving further up North to Lancashire. Its is the version with the longer cabin so does not have to canvas hold as many of the Brum Tugs had would love to hear from anyone who has a Brum Tug or knows any info on them! It seems as it has faired quite well over the years but now does need certain works but the survey I had done gave it all in all for its age a very good report on the steel work. I have been told this may have been the last Brum Tug built? As I say I do have the original construction agreement with the names of the people who had it built its ID No was BT15? I wonder if this related to how many were built only I have read on line there were only 14 built so if that is the case maybe it does not as it seems this is Brum Tug 15 and then even more strange it has No 13 painted on the cabin side! So maybe it was Tug 13 But who knows!

Would love to hear from anyone with info on Brum Tugs it does have that strange agreement of the engine facing the wrong way and the shaft being driven by V Belts! The engine is a Vetus M2.06 but I think this is maybe a later fitted engine the boat was completed and handed over in April 1984.

Its a very nice looking boat I think with great lines still the inside does need a bit of updating but is still in very good condition for the age.

There are 10 pictures at the link below sorry some are abit dark! The rest are of my Narrow beam Freeman 22 I have restored over the last 5 years.

Best wishes

Kevin.

Wow! I know you are asking about your new boat but I just love your Freeman 22! What a smashing job that is!

Hi Everyone.

Best wishes

Kevin.

Love the Freeman :cheers:

Hi Everyone.

Have you seen this?

Thanks for all the replies. Yes my Freeman was a wreck when I brought her its been a labour of love now fitted with a new diesel engine as well now! Still I must not go off topic! Thanks yes David I had seen that on line about the Brum Tugs! That's just about all I could find, mind as I say not many built. But thanks re the link and for everyone else's comments as well thanks.

Best wishes

Kevin.

Hi Everyone.

Best wishes

Kevin.

I used to live at Sherborne Street Wharf when Brummagem boats Ltd. were building the Brum Tug, and I have always had a soft spot for them. I spent quite a bit of time on the first Brum Tug (TRELEASE) which was powered by a slightly inadequate single cylinder Farryman Diesel. I think all subsequent Brum Tugs were fitted with a rather more substantial engine although this was never standardised, and all were fitted under the counter deck, back to front and driving the propeller shaft via pulleys (at least two were chain driven as they had more powerful engines).

The most unusual Brum Tug was KINGSWOOD LADY built at 60' and was powered by a B.M.C. 1.5 4 cylinder diesel. This boat is now named THEODORA and is owned by a member of this Forum. Another (EPOREDIA) was built as a charity owned 31' 12 passenger trip boat powered by a Deutz 2 cylinder diesel and by god was it fast !

Pete, was our boat, Tawny Owl, built at Sherborne? She's a 70' ex Alvechurch hireboat from around 1989

Richard

I'm afraid I have little interest in modern boats and would not have noticed TAWNY OWL if it had been built at Sherborne Street Wharf (I was renovating the Large Woolwich motor BADSEY at Sherborne Street Wharf in 1989). Having said that there was one hell of a boat building production line at Alvechurch in the late 1980's and the name certainly fits in much better with their hire fleet than those of Brummagem Boats Ltd.. What is the B.W.B. index number of TAWNY OWL ?

The Brum Tugs stood out to me as they were a little more unusual and were sort of traditional in a fairly cheap and crap way.

I'm afraid I have little interest in modern boats and would not have noticed TAWNY OWL if it had been built at Sherborne Street Wharf (I was renovating the Large Woolwich motor BADSEY at Sherborne Street Wharf in 1989). Having said that there was one hell of a boat building production line at Alvechurch in the late 1980's and the name certainly fits in much better with their hire fleet than those of Brummagem Boats Ltd.. What is the B.W.B. index number of TAWNY OWL ?

The Brum Tugs stood out to me as they were a little more unusual and were sort of traditional in a fairly cheap and crap way.

I remember they, or some of them, had a shower which emptied into the bilge.

By no means unique at that time.

Tim

Tawny Owl is 73891 and was always an Alvechurch hire boat until we bought her in 2003. She carries a Brummagem Boats builder plaque inside, does that mean she was born at Sherbourne though?

Richard

Tawny Owl is 73891 and was always an Alvechurch hire boat until we bought her in 2003. She carries a Brummagem Boats builder plaque inside, does that mean she was born at Sherbourne though?

Richard

73891 dates from 1987.

I left Sherborne (not Sherbourne) Street Wharf in May 1985 when I ended my career as a boatman, returning with our Large Woolwich pair in June 1988. Clearly I can not comment on boats built at Sherborne Street Wharf during the short period I was not there. I can confirm that new steel hulls were being built and fitted out at Sherborne Street Wharf as late as 1990 when once again I left.

73891 dates from 1987.

I left Sherborne (not Sherbourne) Street Wharf in May 1985 when I ended my career as a boatman, returning with our Large Woolwich pair in June 1988. Clearly I can not comment on boats built at Sherborne Street Wharf during the short period I was not there. I can confirm that new steel hulls were being built and fitted out at Sherborne Street Wharf as late as 1990 when once again I left.

Thanks Pete, it sounds very likely that she was built there then

Richard

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone.

Best wishes

Kevin.

Hi Kevin

I own the Brumtug Beaver (now named Nuthatch ) due to the embarrasment of a previous owners wife!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been lengthened to 41ft but still retains all the origonal features but the solid fuel range is now a wood burning stove

The engine still uses the vee belt set up running a M3.10 vetus engine

The boat is on the River Wey surrey

Keep in touch Happy boating

Alan

Hi Kevin

I own the Brumtug Beaver (now named Nuthatch ) due to the embarrasment of a previous owners wife!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been lengthened to 41ft but still retains all the origonal features but the solid fuel range is now a wood burning stove

The engine still uses the vee belt set up running a M3.10 vetus engine

The boat is on the River Wey surrey

Keep in touch Happy boating

Alan

Did you see my holiday pictures in an earlier posting?

:)

Did you see my holiday pictures in an earlier posting?

:)

I did she still looks the same but with nine feet added between the rear of the open cockpit and the Galley/Kitchen providing a dining table / drop down double bed She has a red and blue livery currently

Alan