Brum Tugs?

kevy19

Featured Posts

LAURA was issued with its B.W.B. index 76286 in 1982, and was originally named YDDRAIG NEN.

Thanks for that Pete,

I do have some pics of her with the original name,do you know anything about Laura? she was built by Brummagem Boats yet listed as Colecraft? has she been converted from open fronted at all?

Geordie 2 <_<

Edited by Geordie 2

Hi And thanks.

Laurie. Loved the pictures thanks! Looks like you had a great time! I think this NB boat is going to be fun and its such an ideal size for me being single but room for friends as well.

Chertsey!

I agree the interior is in very good condition and I plan to keep most of it as is! I like the pine look! By updating I was just referring to the gas fridge and old cooker! Which look a bit dated and worn out! I'm certainly not going to get the paint brush out and spoil the pine look!

George.

Thanks, yes I had been told about the name re Hazel Grove and how it relates to that area! I rather like the name too. Funny enough I have a few old receipts for Furness Vale Marina in with all the info left on the boat! So thanks the last few years the boat was moored up at Rufford Lancs I intend to use on the Grand Union and Nene now so this is the furthest South the boat has ever been moored I think. Great to hear from

Best wishes Kevin.

Hi Kevin

Just out of curiosity where do you moore your boat? as i noticed "Northants" I keep my Brummy tug in Gayton Marina.

Geordie 2 :cheers:

Thanks for that Pete,

I do have some pics of her with the original name,do you know anything about Laura? she was built by Brummagem Boats yet listed as Colecraft? has she been converted from open fronted at all?

Geordie 2 <_<

As far as I recall all Brum Tug hulls were built by Colecraft Engineering, Long Itchington then fitted out at Brummagem Boats Ltd. yard at Sherborne Street Wharf, Birmingham (I lived there from 1980 to 1986). Several Brum Tugs were built with full length cabins but most were 'unconverted'.

• 2 months later...

alldec11044_zps5b828aff.jpg

Hi, I own Brum Tug 'Esox' which had a name change at some point around 1996. Prior to then it was named 'Trelease'. Which is the boat that features in the original promotional brochure. It's a fantastic little boat with only the strange engine configuration causing me the occassional issue! :( I was led to believe there weren't many Brum Tugs left so pleased to hear we are all present and correct!

Edited by BellyA

alldec11044_zps5b828aff.jpg

Hi, I own Brum Tug 'Esox' which had a name change at some point around 1996. Prior to then it was named 'Trelease'. Which is the boat that features in the original promotional brochure. It's a fantastic little boat with only the strange engine configuration causing me the occassional issue! :( I was led to believe there weren't many Brum Tugs left so pleased to hear we are all present and correct!

Lovely boat, you are a lucky chapess.

:)

Edited by Laurie.Booth

As I said in post 15 of this thread I spent quite a bit of time on TRELEASE when it was new and was a good friend with its first owner. Although Brummagem Boats Ltd. built TRELEASE their company name never featured on the cabinsides and it was not one of their hire boats. TRELEASE spent its first year or so at Brummagem Boats Ltd. yard at Sherborne Street Wharf, Birmingham (as a live aboard) before its owner moved it to the north west. I last travelled on TRELEASE in 1986 when I bumped into its owner in a pub at Barbridge on the Shropshire Union Canal.

As far as I am aware all of the Brum Tugs built by Brummagem Boats Ltd. still in exist, although some have been structurally altered whilst others have been renamed.

As I said in post 15 of this thread I spent quite a bit of time on TRELEASE when it was new and was a good friend with its first owner. Although Brummagem Boats Ltd. built TRELEASE their company name never featured on the cabinsides and it was not one of their hire boats. TRELEASE spent its first year or so at Brummagem Boats Ltd. yard at Sherborne Street Wharf, Birmingham (as a live aboard) before its owner moved it to the north west. I last travelled on TRELEASE in 1986 when I bumped into its owner in a pub at Barbridge on the Shropshire Union Canal.

As far as I am aware all of the Brum Tugs built by Brummagem Boats Ltd. still in exist, although some have been structurally altered whilst others have been renamed.

Thanks for the information - always assumed it was hired out with the others.

I am pleased that this thread has been resurrected. Theodora has been identified variously as a Colecraft and a Brum Tug. At the last survey the surveyor said that she had been stretched at some point. Here are some of the pics that we took at Kilby Bridge on the way to Raynsway just after we had bought her.

What do you think?

DSCN1066_zpsbf67df21.jpg

DSCN0001-1_zps5184b237.jpg

DSCN0001_zps159d9cdb.jpg

DSCN1068_zps48bde86f.jpg

As far as I know, the Brum Tugs had their fairly special engine position arrangement, that could of course be the same, or been changed over the years on yours, but I would think that it's a nb built by Colecraft, that has been lenghtened at some time.

Pete Harrison wrote in another topic that all the Brum Tugs still exist, and didn't list yours AFAIK.

Peter.

As far as I know, the Brum Tugs had their fairly special engine position arrangement, that could of course be the same, or been changed over the years on yours, but I would think that it's a nb built by Colecraft, that has been lenghtened at some time.

Pete Harrison wrote in another topic that all the Brum Tugs still exist, and didn't list yours AFAIK.

Peter.

Theodora has the engine mounted back to front with a belt drive leading down to the propshaft which then runs under the engine. Puts the stuffing box in a really awkward position. Is that a Brum Tug arrangement? The advantage is that it puts the engine high up and easy to get at and it can be mounted further aft.

N

Theodora has the engine mounted back to front with a belt drive leading down to the propshaft which then runs under the engine. Puts the stuffing box in a really awkward position. Is that a Brum Tug arrangement? The advantage is that it puts the engine high up and easy to get at and it can be mounted further aft.

N

Yes, that was supposedly a typical Brum Tug installation, so maybe yours was a Brum Tug origionally then, Pete Harrison wrote about one special one that had a two cylinder engine that had a chain drive instead of the belt, and was a very fast boat. They normally had single cylinder engines.

Peter.

Peter, Ah! For some reason I was forgetting all this that came up in 2008.

Pete Harrison has already answered the questions.

Looking at the photograph of your boat, although a little small, and your statement that it was built by Colecraft in 1983 would I be correct in thinking it was completed by Brummagem Boats, Sherborne Street Wharf, Birmingham as a 60' 'Brum Tug' ?

I lived at, and operated camping boats from Sherborne Street Wharf from 1980 to 1985 and your boat looks familiar !

Pete Harrison

Our knowledge of the origins of Theodora are sketchy in the extreme and based on comments in the survey done by the last but one owner. Apparently the brass builder's plaque was left lying about in the boat so it might not even belong to Theodora.

I have a feeling that the steelwork is genuine Colecraft because she has been identified as such by two apparently knowledgeable gongoozlers who volunteered the suggestion unsolicited. We would be delighted if you can tell us any more about her origins or suggest where we might look for more information.

Many thanks for contacting us.

Nick and Margaret Cooke

Is your B.W.B. Index Number 70695 ? If this is your boat it was registered in 1984 as KINGSWOOD LADY, and also issued with a house boat certificate (B.W.B. records - not Jim Shead's website).

The boat I remember was about 60', part converted with a steel cabin and was a house boat at Kingswood Junction (about a length up from the junction bridge although I do not recall its name as it was in red oxide). One identifying feature of 'Brum Tugs' was a traditional style rear to the cabin with the engine placed beneath the rear deck driving the propellor via 'V' belts or a chain. This gave full standing height all the way through the cabin. The 30' 'Brum Tugs' also had a flat prow so that a button fender would sit neatly on the fore end, but this may not have been the case with the one off 60' version.

I am sure this should establish whether we are talking about the same boat or not !

Regards.

On the nail, Pete!

All you say is correct, right down to the license number. We have a triple v belt drive and the engine (BMC 1.5) is mounted in reverse so we have a left handed prop. The stern is of a traditional shape but is larger in area than a true trad. having the engine mounted this way around means that there is a bit more full height cabin space because the engine can sit further back and the gear box and belt drive fit under the back steps. She is 60' to the ends of the fixed metalwork i.e. excluding the fenders and the rudder.

You say that she was "part converted". From what?

We are at Camden tonight and on the way down from Paddington one of the water buses passed us. The steerer said that he recognised the style and that she was a Rugby boat. Is she a Colecraft build?

Waiting with eager anticipation!

Nick

"I love it when a plan comes together". My true interest is in 'historic' narrow boats so this is an interesting, if not rather nostalgic tangent for me to be heading off on.

I am pleased I have added something to the history of your boat and I can confirm that the bare hull was built by Colecraft at their Long Itchington factory (near Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire) and fitted out by Brummagem Boats, Sherborne Street Wharf, Brimingham. I recall the fore end of your boat as being slightly different to the other 'Brum Tugs', perhaps built a little more substantially due to its extra weight (the 30' 'Brum Tugs' were a little flimsy, but they all still survive !). I suppose its shape is not dis-similar to a Rugby Boatbuilders built boat of the 1970's, but it is definately not one.

When I said part converted I meant the cabin went part way down the hold, equally part unconverted. Your boat was a completely new build and did not incorporate any parts of any other boat. I think the B.M.C. 1500 is probably the original engine.

I did not work for Brummagem Boats (well maybe helping prepare hire boats for beer money from time to time) but I did live at their wharf from 1980 to 1985, working for another company as a camping boat steerer. A freind of mine purchased the first 'Brum Tug', TRELEASE and I have always had a soft spot for these boats since. I have seen TRELEASE (although now renamed) on a number of occassions tied at Denham Deep Lock, near Uxbridge.

Many thanks for the repies then and now!

Nick

Edited by Theo

Hi all

I was around Sherborne St in the 80s and 90s and recall many of these boats well. An earlier post referred to many having single pot motors, however I have a certain memory of Faryman or Nannidiesel being used and 3 cylinders each, tho its all long ago now!

Sorry to nitpick

Dave

Edited by dave moore

Hi All

Great to see some interest in these boats

Just to back up Dave thoughts of 3 cylinder engines being used Nuthatch (formerley Beaver) uses a reverse mounted 3 cylinder vetus engine with the belt drive system

Alan

I am pleased that this thread has been resurrected. Theodora has been identified variously as a Colecraft and a Brum Tug. At the last survey the surveyor said that she had been stretched at some point. Here are some of the pics that we took at Kilby Bridge on the way to Raynsway just after we had bought her.

What do you think?

<snip>

Theodora's bow shares a lot of features with Tawny Owl's - number of strakes, proportions and so on. Tawny would have been built at a similar time at Sherbourne

DSCN1068_zps48bde86f.jpg

169.jpg

DSCN0001-1_zps5184b237.jpg

166.jpg

Do you have the quarter round steps/cupholders on the back cabin wall?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Theodora's bow shares a lot of features with Tawny Owl's - number of strakes, proportions and so on. Tawny would have been built at a similar time at Sherbourne

Do you have the quarter round steps/cupholders on the back cabin wall?

Richard

No 1/4 round steps.

Has Tawny Owl got a wooden cabin front like Theodora?

On thing that I notice is that the T stud is exactly the dame design but perhaps that is not significant.

N

Edited by Theo
To remove photos.

No 1/4 round steps.

Has Tawny Owl got a wooden cabin front like Theodora?

On thing that I notice is that the T stud is exactly the dame design but perhaps that is not significant.

N

Metal front, wooden doors

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found this discussion and thought that I ought to add my part. I have owned a BrumTug since new in 1983. Boat name is Squirrel (always has been) Reg. No. 75104. I sort of recollect when we bought it from Julian Stanton and Alan Green that it was number 15 although they said that there wasn't a number 13, but this doesn't seem to agree with earlier comments. The boat is now moored on the Llangollen Canal and was previously on the S.U. Barbridge area. I replaced the original 3 cylinder Nannidiesel with a Vetus 3.10 some years ago and the bottom was overplated 4 years ago. A front cabin was added by Mick Sivewright in about 1990.

It was interesting to read that all Brumtugs seem to be surviving and appreciated by their owners.

Ceun.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Pete im not sure if this a missing Brumtug or one you know about

There is a second tug on the River wey down here in Surrey named "Tros yr Afon" it seems in good original condition and is now moored a dozen or so boats from us at Pyrford

Alan

Hi Guys

Pete im not sure if this a missing Brumtug or one you know about

There is a second tug on the River wey down here in Surrey named "Tros yr Afon" it seems in good original condition and is now moored a dozen or so boats from us at Pyrford

Alan

I appreciate that the River Wey / National Trust has their own licence arrangements but does TROS YR AFON show a former B.W.B. index number, either on an old licence or B.W.B. index number plate ?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to be slow in posting here, but I can confirm that 'Tros Yr Afon' is ex Beaver 71376, which was ASTi when we hired her out, but was renamed and taken to the River Wey after we sold her in 2011

See her here when she was in our fleet in 2008

She had a Vetus 3.10 when we got her and when we first sold her the owner turned the engine round and mounted it normally under an enlarged step arrangement. After we bought her a second time (!) the engine eventually expired and it was replaced with a Beta 2 pot, which I think is still there.