Brum Tugs?

kevy19

Featured Posts

Hi

Like Pete, I was aroung Sherborne St in the 80s and remember signwriting many of them as well as using them for trips. They were super little craft. I recall a "Tug No 13" fondly (or wasit 14?) and I did a lot of work on a longer version called " City of Birmingham" which went in container to Canada to Expo 86, supporting a bid for the forthcoming Olympics. PM me if I can help further.

Dave

Its a great boat just undergone hull repairs. have rebuilt the vee belt drive newcooker fridge etc the list is endless

may have lost a bit of its character in the extension but it is now more practical for a family

If intersted have loads of pics but cant seem to upload any at moment

I own the Brumtug Beaver (now named Nuthatch )

Alan

Brummagem Boats Ltd. had one thing in common with the larger canal carrying companies in that the re-used boat names on second and third generation boats. This was certainly the case with the name BEAVER that appeared on two Brum Tugs (although I have three B.W.B. index numbers for Brum Tugs named BEAVER) as well as

at least one standard type hire boat.

73891 dates from 1987.

I left Sherborne (not Sherbourne) Street Wharf in May 1985 when I ended my career as a boatman, returning with our Large Woolwich pair in June 1988. Clearly I can not comment on boats built at Sherborne Street Wharf during the short period I was not there. I can confirm that new steel hulls were being built and fitted out at Sherborne Street Wharf as late as 1990 when once again I left.

There is something niggling away in my mind that tells me that Alvechurch Boat Co owned Brummagem at one time. Can't remember when or much else but I have this feeling that they did.

Roger

Hi Pete

Had heard the name Beaver was used at least twice the BWB index for mine is 47299 built i belive in 1990

Alan

I do have 47299 as a Brum Tug named BEAVER, but I also have 45879 as Brum Tug NUTHATCH (built 1990 as 32' - lengthened to 41' 1999) !!!!

Index 71386 was also BRUM TUG BEAVER but now renamed as ASTI and still operating as a hire boat.

There is something niggling away in my mind that tells me that Alvechurch Boat Co owned Brummagem at one time. Can't remember when or much else but I have this feeling that they did.

Roger

Alvechurch Boat Centre bought out Brummagem Boats Ltd. in about 1990. Brum Tug production started in 1981 and at least one found its way into Alvechurch Boat Centre's hire fleet (47299).

Hi Pete I have the Bwb plates 472990 and various bits of paper regarding name change Beaver to Nuthatch also have pics of her in Alvechurch hire fleet livery also bill of sale from them to the guy I bought her from

She's a beauty. Thank you for sharing pics of the interior. I emailed them a couple of times anout it. But for some reason the interior pics never made it into my inbox.

You must be over the moon! *envy* :cheers:

Guys

All this interest has prompted me to dig out the paperwork to try to sort some dates just putting my anorak on!!!

as i understand it heres a timeline

Built 1989 (the index no 47299 is the last one issued by BWB that year

1990"ish" Brummagem folds Beaver becomes part of Alvechurch hire fleet I have pics of her in their livery

28th Nov 1996 Beaver is sold to a R lawley for 13K and moved to the River Wey I have the bill of sale

1999 Beaver lenghtened to 41ft by Adalaide Marine Solihull i have various pics of the work in progress Still named beaver at this time but in current Blue/Red livery

August 2003 Name change to Nuthatch I have river licence name change paperwork

Feb 2010 Bought by Myself

If any of you are ever near junction 10 M25 and fancy a look the boat (and the pub are 2 mins from there give us a shout)

Alan

Guys

All this interest has prompted me to dig out the paperwork to try to sort some dates just putting my anorak on!!!

1990"ish" Brummagem folds Beaver becomes part of Alvechurch hire fleet I have pics of her in their livery

28th Nov 1996 Beaver is sold to a R lawley for 13K and moved to the River Wey I have the bill of sale

1999 Beaver lenghtened to 41ft by Adalaide Marine Solihull i have various pics of the work in progress Still named beaver at this time but in current Blue/Red livery

If any of you are ever near junction 10 M25 and fancy a look the boat (and the pub are 2 mins from there give us a shout)

Alan

Good to see my memory was right about them selling Beaver for 13k.

:)

Guys

Alan

Do you mean Adelaide Marine, Southall?

Its a great boat just undergone hull repairs. have rebuilt the vee belt drive newcooker fridge etc the list is endless

may have lost a bit of its character in the extension but it is now more practical for a family

If intersted have loads of pics but cant seem to upload any at moment

It would be nice to see the pics of this lenghtened BrumTug, did you try to upload your pics using Martins very clear instructions ?

If not, study this youtube video My link

I don't know why, but you'll hear it double, so just close one of the boxes at the top of the screen to hear only 1 voice, which is all you need to hear, and follow step by step.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Hi Peter

Will try again later

I think its more to do with the security settings filters etc on my companies computer set up however if you drop an email to me will send them by return I cant access facebook you tube etc from here

Regards

Alan

Edited by Nuthatch

• 2 months later...

Hi - Great to read your post, I purchased a Brum Tug last November, Dovetail built believed 1985; however, I have no idea at the moment which one in the build of 14 that she is but will endeavour to find out. I have just spent 3.5weeks moving her from Sowerby Bridge to Chirk on the Llangollen Canal. She was never in hire fleet service and I am the 4th owner but again this will need to be confirmed.

Please contact through my email:- timtsll2@yahoo.co.uk for photos etc.

Dovetail is still in as new condition.

Cheers

Tim

I purchased a Brum Tug last November, Dovetail built believed 1985; however, I have no idea at the moment which one in the build of 14 that she is but will endeavour to find out.

Cheers

Tim

The B.W.B. index number for DOVETAIL can be dated to 1986, and it appears to me that this MAY have been the 12th Brum Tug to have been built (per Brum Tug B.W.B. index number dates). I currently have records listing 16 individual Brum Tug's and there is at least one other that I am unable to account for although I do remember it being built and I do know its name :captain:

Hi Guys

Does Anybody know how many of these boats still exist

Alan

Of the 16 Brum Tug's I have B.W.B. index numbers for 15 are currently licenced for use on the 'British Waterways' operated system. I have a feeling the missing one may be on the River Wey. There is then at least 1 Brum Tug that I am currently unable to account for, possibly 2 but it is difficult to know all of the boat name changes that have taken place during the past 30 years - and these boats do fall outside of my usual field of research.

Thanks Pete

I'm suprised that so many appear to still be about

As my boat is on the River Wey it would be great if the "missing one" is down here to

Although have travelled the full lenght of the navigation and not seen it will keep a look out

Thanks for the info

Alan

Pete

Thinking about it my boat carries its BWB registration 47299 but is not currently registered for use on the BWB network (apparently hasn't been for some years) as the River Wey is owned by the National Trust and has its own licensing system So is this the missing link !!!!!!

Alan

A richly humorous situation, Mr. Hatch! The boat which you sought this wey and that was the one you were standing on as you went along searching. Perhaps you were also pondering the whereabouts of your glasses, which were on your forehead at the time?

Do not be surprised that so many Brumtugs survive: in general, steel n/bs have a much longer life expectancy than cars, you rarely see a 15-year old one being towed away and quietly cut up for scrap.

Pete

Thinking about it my boat carries its BWB registration 47299 but is not currently registered for use on the BWB network (apparently hasn't been for some years) as the River Wey is owned by the National Trust and has its own licensing system So is this the missing link !!!!!!

Alan

In post 44 of this thread I was discussing how many Brum Tug's are currently B.W.B. licenced of which 15 out of 16 are. The missing one (yours !) is the one I suspected to be on the River Wey but I do not have access to their licence records. This means that all 16 Brum Tugs I have a record of are accounted for.

There are two Brum Tug's that I can not account for at present. These were named EPOREDIA and QUERCUS when new, the former being a 30' charity trip boat with an open / canvas covered hold and the latter being one of those with a full length cabin. These two Brum Tug's may bring the total to 18, unless they have been renamed and already counted :captain:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Two years ago i bought a Brum Tug she is called Laura Tug no.10 registered no.76286 built 1983, she also was at Furness Vale for a long time, we now have a mooring in Gayton marina, on our travels we have seen two other Brum tug's Asti was at Whilton locks,and Tug no.9 was up for sale at Sutton Stop recently.

Geordie 2 B)

Edited by Geordie 2