The Voyages of the Princess Matilda

Flyboy

Featured Posts

Just finished reading 'The Voyages of the Princess Matilda' and really enjoyed it, in fact I found it hard to put down once started. If you watched the BBC 4 series 'All at Sea' you'll like the book even more. Very well written by Shane Spall it's full of humour and anecdotes that most boaters will identify with. Did anyone meet Timothy Spall when he had a narrowboat on the Grand Union? He comes across as such a down to earth person.

Ian

Just finished reading 'The Voyages of the Princess Matilda' and really enjoyed it, in fact I found it hard to put down once started. If you watched the BBC 4 series 'All at Sea' you'll like the book even more. Very well written by Shane Spall it's full of humour and anecdotes that most boaters will identify with. Did anyone meet Timothy Spall when he had a narrowboat on the Grand Union? He comes across as such a down to earth person.

Several of us shared locks with him on the Thames for the best part of a day. Struck me as being anything but a down to earth person.

He had a "film star" mentality and wouldnt talk to us plebs. Shane was fine very chatty.

Hi,

He moored opposite me at Cowroast a few years ago, I said 'Hi', he ignored me....

Leo.

That saddens me somewhat as I really enjoyed the 'All At Sea' mini-series. Both Mr Spall and Shane came across as very down to earth, but that must have been part of 'the act'.

We sometimes come across stuck up, snooty types on the cut and they're not even famous. The most amusing ones are those that misguidingly believe that we live on our boat because we are poor and have no other choice! We enjoy travelling back to our house to see the kids and grandchild, but can't wait to get back home to the boat. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Mike

We met them at a lock on the South Oxford several years ago. He was affable and pleasant. They were both anything but snooty. I guess anyone has off days - even television personalities!

Several of us shared locks with him on the Thames for the best part of a day. Struck me as being anything but a down to earth person.

He had a "film star" mentality and wouldnt talk to us plebs. Shane was fine very chatty.

Surprisingly enough it may well be that he's a bit shy.

You'd expect that because he's ont' telly he'd be an extrovert. That does not follow.

I've had passing acquaintances with various "personalities" and most of them were somewhat reserved - until you engaged them in conversation (usually about topics close to their hearts!!)

We met them at a lock on the South Oxford several years ago. He was affable and pleasant. They were both anything but snooty. I guess anyone has off days - even television personalities!

I'd imagine it is a pain living up to people's expectations as a sleb, wouldn't have the life for anything - I'm much happier only being recognised by barmaids and friends :cheers:

You'd expect that because he's ont' telly he'd be an extrovert. That does not follow.

I've had passing acquaintances with various "personalities" and most of them were somewhat reserved - until you engaged them in conversation (usually about topics close to their hearts!!)

I quite agree. Not all so called personalities are great at meeting people.

'If' I was famous I recon that should anyone starting a chat 'may' just be doing so as they can then say "Guess who I was talking to the other day".

I'm sure he's a nice bloke. And Shane and he get on like any other long term couple.

Martyn

The name, Andy Gray comes to mind. ;)

I find that also true of Investment Bankers, especially when you mention outrageous bonus payments funded by the taxpayers! :angry:

Edited by Doorman

Tend to agree, the most friendly I have met was Roger Moore, charming, a real gent, posed happily for photographs. Ted Heath was also good to chat to. Met quite a few PM's when they stayed at Chequers and played golf (we lived close by), Harold Wilson was a nice bloke (always rained when he played), Dennis Thatcher was the worst, hated losing at golf (which he always did) and always gave the oldest 'grinner' (clapped out golf ball) to the match winner. We refused to play with him in the end.

Leo.

Have met his co stars in auf Wiedersehen pet Jimmy Nail and several times Tim Healy and are a couple of lovely down to earth lads, if you did not know who their where would think just a couple of working class men

I saw a couple of episodes of his TV programme last night for the first time. I thought he came over as somewhat insecure but honest. I'm a huge fan of his acting, can't think of any performances that were disapointing, I think he must be very selective in what he does. That's enough for me.