Exactly how slow are you supposed to pass moored boats ?

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

If you think that is bad then i dont suggest you ever come off the little ditches.

This bugger wakes you up at tide time when he comes flying past the moorings

fishing-boat-twin-brothers.jpg

And these dont hang around either

DSCF0288.jpg

DSCF0281.jpg

If you think a narrowboat creates a bog wash stay on the canals because you will be in for a mammoth shock if you ever stray off them :blink::wacko::blink:

When we were up North we noted that on the navigation (canalized) portion of the rivers some of these chaps created a wave around 3@ high up to a half mile in front. Mind you they 'ran' so fast that at our full speed we could not keep up even if we did share the odd lock with them. We learned all the offline places to moor and even then they could move the water up to half a mile offline as they raced by the entrance to the bit we were in.

When we were up North we noted that on the navigation (canalized) portion of the rivers some of these chaps created a wave around 3@ high up to a half mile in front. Mind you they 'ran' so fast that at our full speed we could not keep up even if we did share the odd lock with them. We learned all the offline places to moor and even then they could move the water up to half a mile offline as they raced by the entrance to the bit we were in.

They certainly dont hang around but then again they do have a job to do. Its nice to see them still working :cheers:

They certainly dont hang around but then again they do have a job to do. Its nice to see them still working :cheers:

From my experience whilst they do like to get a move on they do slow down passing moored boats - it only mitigates their effect minimally because as already said the reall impact seems to come from the volume of water they push along in front of them....

God I worry about this a lot. I am glad there is a thread.

I don't care about boats passing me - never had an issue, sort of expect a bit of bobbing about and so on.

I fret like an anxious hen over passing other boats. I try to go at slow (zimmer frame) walking pace but sometimes have to throttle up if I have a sudden need to steer (for example when someone suddenly appears round the corner). I tend to be on the move really early in the morning and creep past other boats worrying all the way.

I had not considered the forward thrust of water enough I think. I need to slow down sooner.

All that said I have had one person shout at me once (and he was just round a corner and I really didn't see him in time) and one person that may have been irritated (she tapped loudly on her window but then waved when I looked).

Has anyone here been passed by me? Am I going slowly enough?

ML

From my experience whilst they do like to get a move on they do slow down passing moored boats - it only mitigates their effect minimally because as already said the reall impact seems to come from the volume of water they push along in front of them....

Dont get me wrong they have always been very courteous and do slow down for passing boats and moored boats but more often than not it is alreay too late and the huge wall of water they were pushing has already caught you up.

Same with the much bigger shipping on the Ouse below Goole. They always slow down as you pass but that doesnt make much odds as you have already surfed their bow wave a half mile up river.

DSCF0464.jpg

Dont get me wrong they have always been very courteous and do slow down for passing boats and moored boats but more often than not it is alreay too late and the huge wall of water they were pushing has already caught you up.

Same with the much bigger shipping on the Ouse below Goole. They always slow down as you pass but that doesnt make much odds as you have already surfed their bow wave a half mile up river.

DSCF0464.jpg

Wow, that hull makes my hull look prestine. I hate to think what would have put those dents in that bow.. :wacko:

Nice pics btw, keep them coming :cheers:

He must mean he'd prefer them to be on the dole.

This is something we have often wondered when we see rat boats. First how can anyone live in something like that, some look too small to have a toilet never mind a shower. Do the owners work ? If so how do they make sure they get to work without requiring their workmates to wear nose clips ? If they don`t work how did they buy the boats (not that they look that expensive mind) ? And how do they sign on ? Do they have to walk to the dole office ? And I thought you had to have a permanent address (and be available for work) in order to draw the dole ?

And finally...... I`m not having a go at anyone here, I`m just interested to know, how many of the people on those rat boats have, how can I put this, "social problems" ?

These are questions (and possibly ill judged jokes), please don`t make assumptions.

The term rat bike is one that bikers use through the winter, it`s not meant to be offensive.

I think it`s time to clarify things, breakdown in communication number 3074.....

I`m quite an outspoken person with strong views on many things, that`s strong, not extreme. If people feel negatively towards me for something I say (for instance, I think motorcyclists with loud exhausts are ignorant gits) that`s absolutely fine, it`s not going to upset me one iota.

However, if people, particularly boaters (who are overwhelmingly a friendly lot) think I have no sympathy for those with mental health problems or I`m critical of those who don`t paint their boats, that`s not fine, in fact it upsets me a bit, because that`s not what I think.

As for the original post, apart from some ill judged attempts at humour, it`s questions, curiosity, though I accept I`m not actually going to get the answers !

Edited by Justin Smith

This is something we have often wondered when we see rat boats. First how can anyone live in something like that, some look too small to have a toilet never mind a shower. Do the owners work ? If so how do they make sure they get to work without requiring their workmates to wear nose clips ? If they don`t work how did they buy the boats (not that they look that expensive mind) ? And how do they sign on ? Do they have to walk to the dole office ? And I thought you had to have a permanent address (and be available for work) in order to draw the dole ?

And finally...... I`m not having a go at anyone here, I`m just interested to know, how many of the people on those rat boats have, how can I put this, "social problems" ?

When I am boating on Chertsey I do not have a shower. It is perfectly possible to keep just as clean using a basin.

Small rat boats ? Presume you mean a GRP cruiser by the fact that 'they look too small to have a toilet'

I do hope I dont meet you on the system with views like that - Mind you you will have obviously fled from the terrible smell emitting from our craft. As Chertsey says it is possible to wash & there are facilities on line also.

I will make sure to put some rusty iron on top of the boat , wear an old donkey jacket & not wash for a week & crap in the hedge as we couldnt possibly have room for a loo

I do suspect tho we will have a much better time on the water , we'll certainly see more of the countryside & wildlife as we are not hindered by blinkered looking down your nose sight !

Maybe when I we upgrade to a bigger cruiser it may meet your approval ?

By rat boats, do you mean boats that look so dirty they must be infested by rats?

Although there are such boats, I suspect most of their occupants are not there out of choice. They would rather be somewhere better, but can be trapped by circumstances we know nothing of. In some cases that may be self-inflicted, in others by factors out of their control. Ostracising them, just pushes them further into the mire they would love to escape from.

I really think a bit more compassion and understanding is appropriate. Who knows, any of us could one day find ourselves in a similar position through no fault of our own.

What you term "social problems" may well be the result of personal tragedies for them.

In our ignorance, lets be a little more tolerant and less judgemental ......... There but for the grace of God ...............

• Greenie 4

Keeping clean on a boat is no problem.Go to ''Living afloat''Page 10. Showering. All is simply explained. :banghead:

I thought this thread was about the speed of canal boats not the "unwashed".

I thought this thread was about the speed of canal boats not the "unwashed".

Oh, come on! A thread with the words "moored boats" in the title? I haven't been around here long, but already I've learned it usually takes far less than 12 pages for someone to 'have a go' :rolleyes:

What a very unpleasant and unnecessary post.

"I`m not having a go at anyone here" ? Come off it - that is exactly what you are doing!

• Greenie 2

You sound like a team leader for the social security or whatever they call it now.

Christ on a bike, what a nasty set of attitudes you display. I'm not surprised you choose not to list the name of your boat.

Christ on a bike, what a nasty set of attitudes you display. I'm not surprised you choose not to list the name of your boat.

He's a hirer - see the first post

Richard

Ok, I'll bite, seeing as the more I read that paragraph the more I feel like someone is standing outside looking at my boat and my lifestyle and calling me a skanky bitch.

I don't currently have a shower fitted on my boat, my little 30 foot scruffy Springer.

This does not mean, by default, that I do not take showers. for your fecking information, I shower every day without fail, sometimes more than once.

Yes I do work, not that it's any of your business. I work two jobs, actually, and also worked full time while I was getting the education I needed for both jobs, which constituted a B.A. (hons) for one, and three year in house training with day release for college for the other.

I worked for my cheap little 'rat boat.' I own it free and clear, and everything to do with it is paid by me as well. It's insured, licenced, bss'd, has a mooring, and I even have to pay £1 a go for the shower that I take daily, see above.

It wasn't 'expensive' compared to the majority of boats around me and that you are no doubt looking down your nose at it from, but neither do I have a mortgage or any debt. At all. Or feel that I'm missing out for lack of such.

I don't sign on, and it's offensive for you to assume that I and others who simply don't have the kind of boats that you might choose to have, are automatically unemployable. But if I did sign on, then I'd probably bike or walk to the dole office. I didn't realise that using your two legs was the last word in dirty bin miner chic, but I guess I live and learn. Apparently you don't need a permanent address to draw the dole, by the way, either. I guess that's a whole other rant for you somewhere perhaps? Why people in receipt of benefits should be made to live in houses (and presumably cost the government/ social fund more!) and not be allowed to ugly up the canal with their social diversity.

Well, half the forum has met me, so it shouldn't be hard to get a general idea.

But I'll be proud for you to count me amongst that number when I say to you unequivocally and without reserve, "you can kiss my scruffy boated arse."

:clapping:

I don't currently have a shower fitted on my boat, my little 30 foot scruffy Springer.

This does not mean, by default, that I do not take showers. for your fecking information, I shower every day without fail, sometimes more than once.

Just don't mention you have only just achieved "running water to the sink" status, and I think you may get away with it!

(Excellent post, BTW!....)

But I'll be proud for you to count me amongst that number when I say to you unequivocally and without reserve, "you can kiss my scruffy boated arse."

you missed smelly..

He's a hirer - see the first post

Richard

Oh dear..... can't afford a boat of his own, eh? (Making wild assumptions like the OP.)

Thanks for pointing it out anyway. I suppose jealousy can bring out the ugly in ANYONE...