Following on from nowhere.........

Featured Posts

Given three alternatives the consensus seems to be that most people would prefer to moore in the middle of nowhere.

Obviously all that now remains is to establish where this nowhere place is or will the identification of nowhere make it somewhere and therefore not nowhwhere any more and therefore have no middle to it anyway?

Living so far away from the canal system, my canal cruising experience could never be described as extensive. Done a bit and can't wait to do more, we will be on the Llangollen in August.

In the interim I am practising the local dialect and getting my tongue around.......who,s coat is that jacket? And........how fast are we going? Full steam ahead or are we going backwards?

As limited as my experience is my in the middle of nowhere is on the on the Shropshire Union Middlewich branch and I think it's a place between bridge 20 and 21. There is a picnic spot on the bank.

Where is your in the middle of nowhere?

For me it would be on any part of the remote section of the L&L between Greenberfield and Bank Newton. Assuming you can get in to the side, which can be a challenge sometimes up there.

Given three alternatives the consensus seems to be that most people would prefer to moore in the middle of nowhere.

It does seem strange, then, that I could always find a nice remote spot after going past lines of packed visitor and pub moorings.

It used to be a remote picnic spot up the Ashby, in the 80s, but I went there recently and it was jam packed with cars and boats...like Foxton Flight on a hot bank holiday.

Definitely one of those "should never have gone back" moments.

We have a few "middle of nowhere" spots that we like to moor at locally to our marina.

• Fiskerton Fen Nature Reserve, River - 20 minutes walk from the nearest pub but feels like its miles away from anything
  • Hazelford Lock Island, River Trent - Isolated lock island
  • 3km spot on the Fossditch - Pins in the bank jobbie
  • Trent Falls - at anchor for the day on a sunny day it is another world

It does seem strange, then, that I could always find a nice remote spot after going past lines of packed visitor and pub moorings.

Indeed. There would be very few middle of nowhere moorings if everybody prefered mooring in th middle of nowhere.

We prefer to mix and match and as much as we like mooring in the middle of nowhere we also enjoy mooring in a busy city centre or bustling port. Variety is the spice of life :cheers:

Surely the middle of nowhere is somewhere that is surrounded by nowhere :wacko:

If you get there, it must be somewhere, therefore cannot be nowhere :blink:

Like when one of the kids on a car journey asks, "Where are we now?" and you reply, "We're right here!" :lol:

Just south of Splatt bridge (lovely name!) on the G&S. It's far enough from the M5 to be pretty quiet, close to the Severn for an easy evening stroll. Lots of (feathered) birds ... and really DARK. It's not often you can get away from light pollution.

But don't tell everyone ...

Brilliant - welcome to my worldblush.gif

Alex

Actually no, if you were asked where the middle of nowheres is then this would be correct. Like, where is the middle of Middlewich? it's not that there are two places called nowhere and therefore plural there are lots of places in the middle of nowhere but the only issue is that if you know where they are then they cannot be in the middle of nowhere.

Almost anywhere on the Thames above Oxenford is nowhere, very few pubs or shops. Miles and miles of ramblers and sheep.

Midle of that lot - Shifford or Rushey, perhaps.

My middle of no where used to be The Causeymire in Caithness:

dscf1800y.jpg

Until........

dscf1802i.jpg

N Power renewables stuck a ruddy great wind farm there.

Not boating I know, but hey ho.

Edited by Ray T

Obviously all that now remains is to establish where this nowhere place is or will the identification of nowhere make it somewhere and therefore not nowhwhere any more and therefore have no middle to it anyway?

Living so far away from the canal system, my canal cruising experience could never be described as extensive. Done a bit and can't wait to do more, we will be on the Llangollen in August.

In the interim I am practising the local dialect and getting my tongue around.......who,s coat is that jacket? And........how fast are we going? Full steam ahead or are we going backwards?

As limited as my experience is my in the middle of nowhere is on the on the Shropshire Union Middlewich branch and I think it's a place between bridge 20 and 21. There is a picnic spot on the bank.

Once we used to have a lot of nowheres but over the years we find other people using them too in ever greater numbers. Comparing notes with some we all seem to use most of the same nowheres if BW cut the edge. If not a set of cutters can cut you a somewhere to make your nowhere though more than once we have had some moron arrive and try to join use in our little bay expecting us to move up to make room when there is no space but the bay exactly our size. Normally at this point - when we refuse we are told we don't pay like them and are no doubt on the dole while they in their hire/share... Finding a nowhere can be fun but other people may not be if they see it!

Edited by Tiny

My middle of no where used to be The Causeymire in Caithness:

dscf1800y.jpg

Until........

dscf1802i.jpg

N Power renewables stuck a ruddy great wind farm there.

Not boating I know, but hey ho.

But, according to a NOP conducted for the windfarm owners only 6% of the population think the turbines are ugly with a majority saying they improve the view. Obviously I only meet members of that 6%.

This extract from an article in today's telegraph might be of interest...

"I was recently approached, for instance, by Felix Williams, mayor of the little Suffolk market town of Eye, over a plan for two huge 3.4 megawatt (MW) turbines that would loom over the town from the site of a former wartime airfield nearby. Although the scheme was almost unanimously opposed by the town council, it was approved by Mid-Suffolk district council, on the grounds that it was necessary to meet the local target set by the Government, itself determined by our commitment to the EU to generate 32 per cent of our electricity from renewables by 2020, mainly from tens of thousands of new turbines.

The developers tried to appease opponents of the scheme by offering Eye £7,000 a year. What Mayor Williams wished to know was how this compares with the profits they might make from it.

The developers specify the capacity of their turbines – which will be taller than the spire of Salisbury Cathedral – as 6.8MW. But they admit, because wind is intermittent, that the actual output will only be around 2MW. In fact, even this is optimistic: turbines in England generate on average only 20 per cent of their capacity, so it’s unlikely that the average output of the Eye turbines will be more than 1.4MW. Sticking with the developers’ own figure, though – how much would their 2MW earn them?

As a rule of thumb, the annual income per MW fed to the Grid from wind energy is around £800,000, half from the sale of the electricity, the other half from the subsidy we all pay through our electricity bills under the Government’s Renewables Obligation. (These can only be rough averages because the value of each varies.) So the income from the Eye turbines might be around £1.6 million a year – which hardly makes the £7,000 offered to the locals for the blighting of their skyline the bargain of the century. (As Mayor Williams says, the town already pays £5,500 a year just for its new unisex public lavatory.)

Compare this with what the BBC describes as “the huge windfall” being offered to villagers in Powys by the German-owned energy giant RWE, to win their support for a plan to build 65 3MW turbines, each 450ft high, at Llanbrynmair, on the hills of central Wales. This “sweetener”, as the BBC calls it, will amount to a staggering £18.8 million over 20 years. But from RWE’s own figures we can see that the wind farm’s possible income of £50 million a year will amount to £1 billion (£500 million of it subsidy) over the same 20-year period.

This is how preposterous the finances of the great wind scam have become – to yield, very inefficiently, only a fraction of our electricity. (One medium-sized gas-fired power station can produce 800MW, reliably, all the time, at a fraction of the cost.)"

With those sorts of profits no wonder these people want to ruin the countryside.

With those sorts of profits no wonder these people want to ruin the countryside.

I guess you missed this post then:

Yes, having successfully campaigned away the proposed wind farm on the old Hillmorton mast site, which would have left the majority of the pasture land unspoilt, we are now going to have an annexe town, overlooking the canal...Lovely!...nice one, NIMBYs.

I'd rather see sheep and cows grazing on pasture land full of wildlife under wind turbines, than a yet another sterile greenbelt housing estate.

We have several favourite spots on the canals but I think the closest we ever got to being in the middle of nowhere was this mooring:

3911_79609214069_685704069_1603329_6811507_n.jpg

It is a mooring that is only suitable for a boat 50' or less on The Avon.

The kind lockkeeper eyed up our boat as we entered the river suggested it to us realising that if the mooring was not already taken then our boat would fit and there was no chance of anyone else coming and mooring next to us. We spent a blissful 24 hours there watching the wildlife, reading books and generally unwinding. I think there was a small hamlet about a half mile walk away but no pub, shop or even a phone box.

We have several favourite spots on the canals but I think the closest we ever got to being in the middle of nowhere was this mooring:

3911_79609214069_685704069_1603329_6811507_n.jpg

It is a mooring that is only suitable for a boat 50' or less on The Avon.

The kind lockkeeper eyed up our boat as we entered the river suggested it to us realising that if the mooring was not already taken then our boat would fit and there was no chance of anyone else coming and mooring next to us. We spent a blissful 24 hours there watching the wildlife, reading books and generally unwinding. I think there was a small hamlet about a half mile walk away but no pub, shop or even a phone box.

Is that the mooring at Swan's Neck? (Left hand side going upstream)

SAM

Ryde

IOW