Anyone used a Servis Compact or Eumenia washing machine?

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Back to the point. So far through PMs and this thread, I have had the following suggestions for inverters:

1000w modified

2500w pure

1500w modified.

Any more suggestions? Preferably from people who have washing machine on their boats and who have run them from an inverter?

You do not need to have run a washing machine on a boat from an inverter, (although I have!), to answer the question up to a point.

The data labels you have shown for that machine indicate that if you can guarantee never to try running the heating element, then 500 or 600 watts should suffice to power the motors, but if that 2KW heater kicks in you are in a very different ball game, and your inverter will certainly need to be rated in excess of that number.

The question of will it run on "modified sine" or insist on "pure sine" can probably only be answered by somebody having the exact same model, and, even so, in some cases someone may get away with "modified sine", whereas someone else may not, as not all inverters claimed to have a particular wave form actually put out the same thing, (by any means).

If you do get into running the heater with an inverter, then be aware you may easily be drawing 200 amps from your battery bank, so, unless you have big multiple alternators, with your engine spinning fast, your battery bank is going to take an absolute pounding whilst the heating element is on. (Yes, I appreciate you want to not do this - and if you can force it to run on just the motors, that's a different story, of course....)

If your machine is a one pipe fill then it will require a cold supply, and thus your heater will heat the water, if you decide to be a numpty and connect it to the hot supply you will be rinsing in 60o+ water and will be wearing those sqeeky lace knickers. :blink:

But as has already been mentioned, the way to do it is to have a thermostatic mixer to control the temperature. So you set the water temp to say 35 deg and do a 30 deg wash. If you really want to ensure the heater doesn't come on but the machine will still go through the cycle, I would suggest as well as disconnecting the heater element that you put a bypass on the thermostat. You can then just control the wash temperature by adjusting the knob on the mixer.

You can get the mixer stats from Screwfix and maybe chandlers, as some people fit them on the calorifier to limit the hot water tap temperature.

I've just googled thermostatically controlled mixer and found some here. I can't vouch for the source or whether they are dearer or cheaper than anywhere else. I suspect that most plumbers merchants would sell them. I have one on my calorifier that I can adjust up or down - I believe the range is between about 40 and 60 degrees. You may have one on yours (or on your shower).

Hope that helps although I can't confirm that the idea will work.

Ray

Thanks for the link. When I googled it all I could find were full shower attachments. That's much better. Now i know what they look like i am watching a couple on ebay. How do i know if they can be fitted to the plastic water pipes in the boat, not just copper pipes?

My shower seems to work a bit differently. I can adjust the heat of the water coming out of it, but there temperature at any point on the dial isn't the same from one day to the next. Over the years I have got used to where I want the dial to be for the perfect shower temperature if I've been cruising all day, for example, which is different (cooler setting) to if the engine has run for just an hour. In those examples, the dial will be turned to different Settings but the temperature of the water will feel about the same.

If I am going to use a thermostatic mixer valve, tapping off the water supply from under the bathroom sink, how do I ensure that the supply to the sink tap remains? It's a mixer tap itself. Is there a different sort of thermostatic mixer valve for that?

Edited by BlueStringPudding

If disconnecting the heating element works, you're fine.

However, if not, you're going to need at least an inverter rated at 2100w the same as your machine, and that's going to set you back a bit if you go for a properly fitted one.

Well, I've watched a few washing machine servicing videos, snooped through the spare parts brochure for this model, and had a fun Intimate evening getting to know the gizzards of my little washing machine. I took a few photos on the way so I would know what's what in the future, coz I like getting to know how things work. The heating element was easy to identify and isolate and would be easy to reattach to its electrics too.

4759a4c0.jpg

And I was pleased to find a little label that did indeed identify this machine as the European make I thought it was (Eudora / Eumenia) as opposed to just Servis. Not sure what the rest of the label means, mind.

9045bfb7.jpg

Questions for you, coz I'm intrigued: what is this?

d8e636e1.jpg

And what is this black pipe which runs from the outside of the back of the machine on the right hand side, and appears to feed down towards the drum inside. I can't identify it in the spare parts brochure so I'm intrigued. It's too tricky to get in there to see exactly where it goes. Peering down the pipe from the outside it seems to have white speckles in it, making me wonder if soap powder has found its way inside, which might be a clue as it its purpose (some sort of overflow?) But it doesn't seem to have anything that fixes to it... Intriguing

4e7cbe28.jpg

And this (which admittedly looks like a close up from Embarrassing Bodies) is looking into the opening of the pipe from the back of the machine:

0e7ac7e6.jpg

I've had this a while now and would never go back to an automatic. I love it and never had clothes come out of a machine so dry. i got it really cheap as well as when it arrived the box was damaged, told them and they refunded £30. Been running fine in the last 5 or 6 months i've had it.

It runs fine on my 1600w quasi inverter and uses next to no batt power when cc'ing as its rated only at 250w max i think. Can't beat the germans for a good machine ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TecTake-mini-washing-machine-Spin/dp/B002WTLJKM

our washing machine misbehaved last year,it is now 11 years old.

i managed to repair it,but when it expires a twintub will replace it,will check with you at that time to see if your machine is still reliable.

When i worked in the film industry,(with boats)the wardrobe people would only use a twintub,mainly for its speed and economical use of water

I suppose you know that if it won't fill with hot water through its normal port,i expect you could fill it with hot water through the door port hole with a hose from another hot tap,just up to the level of the apertures bottom,before it spills over,shut the door and away you go,--perhaps.

Not sure which way up the photos are,too much zoom.

One pic looks like a Phillips screw lost in Hampton court maze.

you really need to try these experiments plugged into the mains somewhere''the machine not you''so as know whats what before buying an inverter.

Edited by bizzard

Why might it not fill with hot water through its normal inlet?

I don't know really,i thought someone mentioned that it might not,or it might upset the thermostat or something. BSP, It might scald it too if its only been used to cold water,like you know when you drink tea that's too hot.

Can you not disconnect the heating element and plug it into the mains somewhere to try these things out.Or borrow a generator.

Experimenting needs to be done i tink. :mellow:

The water level is controlled by a pressure switch, i see no sign of a pressure switch in your pictures, if you intent filling the machine via the open door and then closing it before you wet your feet then i'm afraid i see more problems ahead, the wash level is normally above door level and the machine will not start to wash until the pressure switch senses the water at the correct level, on the rinses the level can be even higher so normal filling via the soap box maybe your only hope.

Such a fuss!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by The Commodore

Not sure why I would want to do that when there is a perfectly good hose inlet at the back for the water. I assume you are responding to Bizzard, Commodore. So no "fuss" to worry about.

It will BSP

the little circular device in your picture is part of the water level sensing system for the washing machine.

Thanks, matey. Which photo and which "little circular device"?

Cheers.

Not sure why I would want to do that when there is a perfectly good hose inlet at the back for the water. I assume you are responding to Bizzard, Commodore. So no "fuss" to worry about.

Thanks, matey. Which photo and which "little circular device"?

Cheers.

Photo 2 ,next to the black box with white lettering

my washing machine has a hot and a cold inlet,the hoses are swapped over so that the hot hose feeds the cold inlet on the machine.

the heating element was disconnected when the machine was installed new.

Thanks. Good to know that someone else is operating their machine in a similar way.

Photo two is of the Eudora sticker which wasn't attached to any part of the machine when I photographed it. I think we're talking at cross purposes about the circular device. The only photos with something circular in are the last ones, photos four and five. They show a black pipe?

The only other circular thing is the cross head screw in photo three. But that is just holding the casing of the machine together as far as I can tell. :unsure:

Photo 2 ,next to the black box with white lettering

Isn't that a Philips screw :wacko:

The black pipe is purely a vent pipe.

Interesting reading the butchery that goes on, i wonder how you would explain all this to your insurance adjuster :unsure:

Lovely little twin tub :cheers:

Isn't that a Philips screw :wacko:

Yes it is, as I stated above. Apologies for using the term cross head screw if it caused any confusion. :blink::D.

The black pipe is purely a vent pipe.

Interesting reading the butchery that goes on, i wonder how you would explain all this to your insurance adjuster :unsure:

Lovely little twin tub :cheers:with enough "butchery" it may well end up looking like a twin tub! ;) To be honest, if it was a live sheep, I would have concerns about butchery. But it's a secondhand washing machine, so I'll cope with the emotional scars.

The thing is BSP your description of the 'cross head screw'is correct

Only a close inspection could confirm it as a philips screw,it may be a 'posidrive' screw.

more likely to be a philips,but not guaranteed to be.

Not sure how a proposed modification can be described as 'butchery'. :captain:

" To be honest, if it was a live sheep, I would have concerns about butchery. But it's a secondhand washing machine, so I'll cope with the emotional scars. "

Can you wash your clothes with a sheep - I've always wanted an excuse to keep one on the towpath?

What about a goat, will they do as well?

i wonder how you would explain all this to your insurance adjuster :unsure:

bless

Edited by Chris Pink

??????

I always find you can't have too many rags on a boat! :rolleyes:

I agree though - I would have thought using water straight from a calorifier for the whole wash process would be fairly devastating on said clothes.

But surely once it's taken a machine full for the first wash, the water in the calorifier will be progressively cooler for the subsequent rinses.

And anyway, if clothes can take a hot wash, they can take a hot rinse.

Having been a service engineer for well over 30yrs i suggest you experiment by washing your lace smalls and then rinse same with 60o+ water, i dare say you'll be sqeeking as you walk.

Likewise, if something's too delicate for a hot rinse, it's too delicate for a hot wash. Is there some kind of theory operating here that a cold rinse undoes the damage caused by a hot wash? BSP's right, hogwash is far more like it.

Do you have a lot of experience of lace smalls, Mr Commodore?

" To be honest, if it was a live sheep, I would have concerns about butchery. But it's a secondhand washing machine, so I'll cope with the emotional scars. "

Can you wash your clothes with a sheep - I've always wanted an excuse to keep one on the towpath?

What about a goat, will they do as well?

No, they eat your clothes.

I do, Cherts. I'm the queen of lace bigs (can't really justify calling em smalls)

No, they eat your clothes.

That is true. I can say from experience having milked a goat when I was a kid (no pun intended) and had my sleeve eaten half off my arm, for the privilege.

if something's too delicate for a hot rinse, it's too delicate for a hot wash. Is there some kind of theory operating here that a cold rinse undoes the damage caused by a hot wash?

Heee!! thats why you have Delicate/Wool washes, so you dont wash them in a hot wash because they can't take it. :rolleyes:

Do you have a lot of experience of lace smalls

Know a lot about BSP's, but i doubt you we could now classify them as smalls. :blink: