River Idle

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

In our mission to tick off all the rivers local to our home base we have finally gotten around to looking into heading up the River Idle.

We already know that the EA levy quite a hefty charge to lift the barriers to allow boat access but we are struggling to find navigation information and also who to contact at the EA.

Are there any visitor moorings on the Idle or is it purely a case of sticking the pins in the bank?

Any info would be greatly recieved. :cheers:

is as good as it gets I think. Does Stockwith Boat Club still organise a cruise up the river?

Mike

Im not sure. I know they used to but their website is a bit out of date.

If we end up at West Stockwith over the bank holiday weekend (Plan B) we will ask in the club house. :cheers:

Well apparently the navigation authority is:

The Environment Agency Midlands

Region, Corringham Road,

Gainsborough DN21 1QH

T 01427 612205

But there has been a previous discussion of this here to which you you contributed (!) and in which Purple Faerie said "The EA office you need to call is the one i work for

01522785832 and ask for Candy Reed"

The RWBC takes a group of boats up every couple of years - that would certainly reduce the cost of opening the barriers. Actually, the lower barrier was open when I was there last year.

ETA there are no public moorings (can't remember where I got that bit of info)

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

The lower barrier seems to be automatic. When arrived at West Stockwith on 29 Feb, we walked up through the village. On the way up the barrier was raised. On the way back it was down.

I am sure there are moorings up there. A few months ago I am sure I saw an ad in Towpath Talk offering cheap moorings. I Googled it and it was a pub on the Idle.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley

In our mission to tick off all the rivers local to our home base we have finally gotten around to looking into heading up the River Idle.

We already know that the EA levy quite a hefty charge to lift the barriers to allow boat access but we are struggling to find navigation information and also who to contact at the EA.

Are there any visitor moorings on the Idle or is it purely a case of sticking the pins in the bank?

Any info would be greatly recieved. :cheers:

Phylis ,

Always wanted to cruise the Idle (Probably after reading 'Slowboat through the Pennine waterways' as a kid !

Would be interested in a group cruise thru the sluice (This sharing the charge) although this would be hard to organise as we are a 3 day cruise away (But I would weekend the boat to Newark if req!)

Dont know if others would be interested ??? (I know old Malc would (ex Wud-e-nuff) but not sure if he's still afloat nowadays))

The lower barrier seems to be automatic. When arrived at West Stockwith on 29 Feb, we walked up through the village. On the way up the barrier was raised. On the way back it was down.

I am sure there are moorings up there. A few months ago I am sure I saw an ad in Towpath Talk offering cheap moorings. I Googled it and it was a pub on the Idle.

Regards

Pete

I think we must have moored overnight at Misson (I remember a pub a bit of a walk away from the river). I think it was where the road runs alongside the river.

There wasn't any mooring, just bankside with mooring pins.

I think we managed to get to near the outskirts of Bawtry before finding it too shallow to continue with a 3 foot deep v-bottomed boat. We turned OK at 30 foot, but not sure of the maximum turning - doesn't look too wide on Google Maps.

When dropping back down the "lock" at Stockwith, make sure you don't end up sitting on the bank as the water drops.

Mike

Phylis ,

Always wanted to cruise the Idle (Probably after reading 'Slowboat through the Pennine waterways' as a kid !

Would be interested in a group cruise thru the sluice (This sharing the charge) although this would be hard to organise as we are a 3 day cruise away (But I would weekend the boat to Newark if req!)

Dont know if others would be interested ??? (I know old Malc would (ex Wud-e-nuff) but not sure if he's still afloat nowadays))

That could certainly be arranged. We are only a day away sp time wouldnt be such a big issue for us :cheers:

I ssem to hear that almost mythical "Now Then" every time I go through Lincoln, and we had him aboard at Bardney last year.

Old Malc saved us an expensive taxi ride a few years ago when we got stranded the wrong side of Stamo End due to flooding of the Fossdyke and Witham, we had to stay at Bardney for a week. He recognised our boat (he had met the previous owners) so in return for a short boat ride for him and the dog he took the OH to fetch our car from Burton Waters.

Smashing chap its just a shame he has had to give up boating :(

That could certainly be arranged. We are only a day away sp time wouldnt be such a big issue for us :cheers:

Bearing in mind we only have 15 horses , we would have to time it away from Torksey correctly (Unless you gave us a tow !)

Old Malc saved us an expensive taxi ride a few years ago when we got stranded the wrong side of Stamo End due to flooding of the Fossdyke and Witham, we had to stay at Bardney for a week. He recognised our boat (he had met the previous owners) so in return for a short boat ride for him and the dog he took the OH to fetch our car from Burton Waters.

Smashing chap its just a shame he has had to give up boating :(

Malc always said if we went up to Gainsborough he would love to join is (Even without his boat) would happily carry him aboard for the trip , but wouldnt have room for overnight accommodation !

Maybe he could ride Barney back home !!

Good morning,

we were in the WSYC last night and inquired about the River Idle. They don't have any club trips planned, but they think it is a good idea for as many boats as possible to do the passage so that it remains open for navigation. There might be just 3 boats already up there on those moorings.

it looks like a very peaceful river, not sure how far it stays navigable for a 1m draught boat though.

cheers, David

We can reduce our draft but as and when it becomes too shallow for us we will stick big boat on the pins and go the rest of the way on the dinghy. :cheers:

Bearing in mind we only have 15 horses , we would have to time it away from Torksey correctly (Unless you gave us a tow !)

We could always have a night in West Stockwith basin before hand and then head up the Idle from there.

(Any excuse for a few beers in the White Hart and the yacht club :cheers: )

Good morning,

we were in the WSYC last night and inquired about the River Idle. They don't have any club trips planned, but they think it is a good idea for as many boats as possible to do the passage so that it remains open for navigation. There might be just 3 boats already up there on those moorings.

it looks like a very peaceful river, not sure how far it stays navigable for a 1m draught boat though.

cheers, David

I think there is only one now. One definitely left recently

• 3 weeks later...

Denboy (aka Captain Cathy), Alexandra and I are booked to go through sluice onto the River Idle tomorrow at 10am.

Maggie

Ah. Had we known this in advance we would have come along and shared the cost of raising the sluice. Unfortunately we have a BBQ party tomorrow so cant make it :(

When we went up the Idle years ago we moored at Misson.

We visited Haxey Quays by road last Autumn and they have created some long term moorings. You could probably get on those if you ask. Site has elsan disposal and water plus the pub by the bridge. It is a residential and touring caravan site with a large events field so you may have lots of company.

Worksop and Retford Boat Club organise trips but they are strictly memebers only.

Rachael, there are a number of bridges to negotiate, West Stockwith (near your favourite brewery), West Stockwith new sluice, Misterton Soss footbridge and Haxey Gate bridge on the A161 north of Misterton. Can you lower your bridle/bar.

Mal