locking Fuel Caps

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hi- After hearing a recent tale of fuel theft in Willington- and the high price of diesel making theft more attractive- I'm thinking it wise to invest in a locakable diesel cap. I've had a trawl through google and on this site- some of the articles are a year or so old and one mentioned having to adapt to size for a narrowboat.

Are there any lockable caps available for an NB which are simple to fit?

Thanks

Jackie

Hi- After hearing a recent tale of fuel theft in Willington- and the high price of diesel making theft more attractive- I'm thinking it wise to invest in a locakable diesel cap. I've had a trawl through google and on this site- some of the articles are a year or so old and one mentioned having to adapt to size for a narrowboat.

Thanks

Jackie

http://www.dipstop.co.uk/boat.html

It all depends on the design of your filler Mine is a pipe sticking up out of the deck with a screw on cap so I drilled through them both and fitted a long padlock. If you have the more conventional flush type check the size as there are at least two sizes and the commercial locks need to be the right size

TC

• Greenie 1

Thanks TC for a very simple solution,I'd just add make sure to keep the swarf out of the tank when drilling the holes for the padlock,and get a padlock thats a good fit,something you can't get a crowbar into.I'm off to sort this out.Thanks

It all depends on the design of your filler Mine is a pipe sticking up out of the deck with a screw on cap so I drilled through them both and fitted a long padlock. If you have the more conventional flush type check the size as there are at least two sizes and the commercial locks need to be the right size

TC

How do you prevent water running along the hasp,through the holes and into the tank?

How do you prevent water running along the hasp,through the holes and into the tank?

A boat we saw at Crick resolved this by having a small 'leg' welded to the cap which was used to secure the cap with a padlock to the small lip that prevents spilt diesel going into the bilge.

Clearly not fool proof for a determined thief (and no way water could get in the tank either) but enough to encourage someone to move onto an un-protected tank.

Edited by MJG

A boat we saw at Crick resolved this by having a small 'leg' welded to the cap which was used to secure the cap with a padlock to the small lip that prevents spilt diesel going into the bilge.

Clearly not fool proof for a determined thief (and no way water could get in the tank either) but enough to encourage someone to move onto an un-protected tank.

A lock with a sticky-up-bit is not a very sensible solution for a trad boat (OK for a fenced-off-back-end boat).

I bought mine from Midland Chandlers. There's one called a Fuel Lock which is a better design, but it isn't made in 2" bore.

A lock with a sticky-up-bit is not a very sensible solution for a trad boat (OK for a fenced-off-back-end boat).

I bought mine from Midland Chandlers. There's one called a Fuel Lock which is a better design, but it isn't made in 2" bore.

It didn't 'stick up' any further than the cap already did it was welded flush with the cap top and then angled down so that the hole in it lined up with the hole in the lip - I wish I'd grabbed a pic. now because it was an idea worth copying...

Excuse the appalling drawing skills but this gives the gist of it - not suited to all boat/filler/deck designs but it would suit ours which is why I noticed it -

img002.jpg

Edited by MJG

That's an issue I have wiped stern tube grease on the padlock hasp and hopefully that will stop it. the hole is barely large enough for the hasp of the padlock

Tho hole is placed so that the hasp of the padlock is almost in contact with the top of the filler cap. If it wasn't chucking it down with rain I would go and take a picture. When drilling the holes I driller the cap while it was off put it on marked the tube then I drilled the tube with a rag stuffed down the tube which I carefully retrieved. I figured that any swarf that did drop in would be big enough to be caught by the filter.

Another solution I have seen was to bolt a bar across the filler using the attachment bolts. OK not locked but not a quick and easy entry. Mind you that boat doesnt go far so I expect they only fill once a year.

REgards

TC

Edited by Top cat

That's an issue I have wiped stern tube grease on the padlock hasp and hopefully that will stop it. the hole is barely large enough for the hasp of the padlock

Tho hole is placed so that the hasp of the padlock is almost in contact with the top of the filler cap. If it wasn't chucking it down with rain I would go and take a picture. When drilling the holes I driller the cap while it was off put it on marked the tube then I drilled the tube with a rag stuffed down the tube which I carefully retrieved. I figured that any swarf that did drop in would be big enough to be caught by the filter.

Another solution I have seen was to bolt a bar across the filler using the attachment bolts. OK not locked but not a quick and easy entry. Mind you that boat doesnt go far so I expect they only fill once a year.

REgards

TC

How about a sink plug on a chain that's inserted into the filler tube to the level of the hasp holes?

Any water would be prevented from running into tank.

I don't think the Fuelock is still available. I had one for a while, it wasparticularly useful as it fitted my existing filler cap mounting holes. On a narrowboat the lock is horizontal so the keyhole part, which is shaped like a small cup, fills with water when it rains,and there is no way for that water to escape so it will presumably corrode the mechanism. Ours failed however because the plastic became more and more difficult to turn until it needed Mole grips to undo it - nothing to do with the locking mechanism, it was as if the plastic became ultra-high friction. Strangely the cap wouldn't turn when tried with a new base, and a new cap wouldn't turn on the old base either.

We replaced it with one of the ordinary brass ones which seems fine except that it meant drilling and tapping new holes. I'm not 100% sure that I completed the exercise without losing some swarf into the diesel, I just hope that either it stays at the bottom of the tank or else the fuel filter does its job properly.

It didn't 'stick up' any further than the cap already did it was welded flush with the cap top and then angled down so that the hole in it lined up with the hole in the lip - I wish I'd grabbed a pic. now because it was an idea worth copying...

Excuse the appalling drawing skills but this gives the gist of it - not suited to all boat/filler/deck designs but it would suit ours which is why I noticed it -

img002.jpg

That's a German submarines conning tower with a damaged periscope standard.I have the same drawing in an old WW2 enemy warship recognition booklet i found at a boot sale. :closedeyes:

Hi,

I had a flush mounted fuel cap and found that is is possible to machine this, fit it with a Yale lock and crank, this then screws right down the pipe and the Yale lock then turns the crank to 'catch' on the bottom of the inlet pipe (about 3 ins).

The original flat screw cover then has the slot filled with solder and two new holes about 1/8" dia. are drilled and a key made up with two small points which match the holes. This then screws into the deck fitting as before and is tightened by the special key.

To make really secure the small 1/8th holes can be filled with ballbearings (removed with a magnet as required).

This means that the original flush fitting can be retained (no trip hazard on a tug deck).

Cheap to make and very secure.

Leo

Just swap your diesel filler cap and your pump out cap over. No need to lock them :cheers:

Loved the idea Phylis. Then thought about it. Fuel all gone, Shoreside pumpout facility full of diesel and you wondering how your sewage tank suddenly is full and smells different. Dont smoke in the loo. The expression "Flash in the Pan" springs to mind!

Scenario complete :lol:

Thanks

Jackie

Mine's a simple hasp & staple crossing over the flush filler - fitted by those great people at Oxley Marine (the picture was taken to record the paint damage caused by another boat yard's lifting cradle chains)

<a  href=dscf1939r.jpg' alt='dscf1939r.jpg]'>[/img]

Sorry - having trouble posting the actual image!

Edited by homer2911