Rag mop

Tuscan

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm able to make a proper mop for you, and stripe paint it should you want that doing. PM me or call 07831 243001 and we can discuss options. I usually use an inch and a half ash shaft for the stick and make it about 6'6" long.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Hi

I'm able to make a proper mop for you, and stripe paint it should you want that doing. PM me or call 07831 243001 and we can discuss options. I usually use an inch and a half ash shaft for the stick and make it about 6'6" long.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Thanks Dave I will call you wednesday

Obtain pole, cut suitable cloths (old duffle coats were popular I believe) into strips just over twice the length you want the mop head to be. Lay strips over each other to create circle looking like the petals on a flower. Put suitable sized screw with appropriate washer through the centre point and screw it to the bottom of the pole.

Getting the paint right is the hard part.

Obtain pole, cut suitable cloths (old duffle coats were popular I believe) into strips just over twice the length you want the mop head to be. Lay strips over each other to create circle looking like the petals on a flower. Put suitable sized screw with appropriate washer through the centre point and screw it to the bottom of the pole.

Getting the paint right is the hard part.

You really need to arrange that the metal parts are covered such that they can't scratch cabin paintwork. That's the clever bit ;)

Tim

The instructions in the link from Black Ibis are good. We got an RAF greatcoat going cheap on eBay because it was a very small size. Wife made a trendy jacket out of the top half (to wear to a Rolling Stones concert), leaving ample material from the bottom half to make the fan for the mophead. Round head Coach Bolt and washer through the wad of material strips into end of long rake handle (long enough to reach the water from standing on the cabin roof) and it has lasted 6 years so far. The wool material holds a huge amount of water and is kind to paintwork.

I'm just in the process of making three (though they are all for me!)

Not being able to find any suitable material in the quantity in needed I have ended up making my own by felting some old thick wool blankets in the machine on a hot wash. It has worked remarkably well - so well infact that I may do some more and market it as faux croxley blanket.

Posted on 26th March this year, just with people like you in mind!

Blossom makes a traditional Rag Mop

Etruria+2011+flying+through+salt.jpg

:-)

Ahh, I see I was beaten by a minute!!

Edited to add the picture.

Great picture and love that painted pigeon box! :clapping:

P.S. Can anyone advise me what the two dangling ropes at the rear side of the cabin were for?

Edited by Doorman

P.S. Can anyone advise me what the two dangling ropes at the rear side of the cabin were for?

They were probably for something as " Traditional " as the washing machine, carpets, tv, microwave, etc etc etc as in the interior of most boats :lol:

Edited by mrsmelly

They were probably for something as " Traditional " as the washing machine, carpets, tv, microwave, etc etc etc as in the interior of most boats :lol:

Cabin strings, I believe they're called. You can hang spare ropes from them, and they protect the cabin paintwork if the chimney is knocked off and dangles on the chimney chain.

:lol:

Aye, and in many fat wide beams too! :P

Hi all

Just to let you know that I'm making and painting Tuscan's rag mop....I'll hunt out my tin of striped paint soon!!!

Cheers

Dave

While you're there, can you fetch me some of that diamond paint too, I'm doing the top of our pigeon box! :wacko:

Edited by Doorman

Makes no difference, like people who suggest putting a wrong handed prop on back to front ;)

Tim

:rolleyes:

As long as its a right handed one I should be OK.

I know someone who used to tell people that he couldn't do locks because no one made a left handed windlass.

And someone else who went to look at an engine, decided he didn't want it, but told the seller that it was no good for him as it came with the left handed starting handle.

There is a rag mop on the roof of the mock up of "Sunny Valley" at Stoke Bruerne museum:

dscf5046n.jpg

The mop head is held in place with a rubber washer and a diamond coach bolt.

What's a diamond coach bolt?

How do you screw a coach bolt into the end of the stale? Others have referred to using a coach bolt, I'm a bit mystified.

I've made a few mops in the now rather distant past, generally used a rose head spike (I appreciate not everyone will have those to hand), & a strip of tough leather as a washer, looped over the head of the spike so that the spike passes through it twice and the leather also shields the spike head from causing damage.

Tim