How to paint a Narrowboat?

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,

I want to paint the exterior of my boat. I've no idea how to go about it. Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated;

1. What prep do I need to do? The paint finish is quite poor at the moment as it was hand painted last time. Which type if any of power sander should I use?

2. What paint do I need?

3. How to apply it to get the best finish?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Hi Guys,

I want to paint the exterior of my boat. I've no idea how to go about it. Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated;

1. What prep do I need to do? The paint finish is quite poor at the moment as it was hand painted last time. Which type if any of power sander should I use?

2. What paint do I need?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I've not painted a narrowboat...but over the years I have hand painted high quailty cars. I restored Rollers and classic Jaguars...bringing them to show finish.

There will be many other helpful hints here but mine would be :

Establish total compatibilty with primers, undercoats and top coats.

Never take a chance with..(for instance) feathering an edge...unless you a certain of no reaction. If the new paint lifts the feather...even slightly..then you have a total strip down to do...which is worse because you wasted paint.

Its better to do this total stripdown first if there are any doubts.

It is absolutely the case....that any flaw in the primer/ undercoat will gradually get worse as you build up coats. I have found this to be worse with narrowboats as there are so many long flat areas that you sight along on a daily basis. I think..the standard that you 'flat' to is down to you. Because of my background I am driven mad by any marks or imperfections...but the standard that you wish to accept is down to you.

I will leave off here...as there will be better narrowboat advice than I can offer.

Bob

Hi Guys,

2. What paint do I need?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Phil Speight (member on here) used to distribute a very good audio CD which gave loads of useful info. Maybe he still does?

Hi Guys,

2. What paint do I need?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Phil Speight (member on here) used to distribute a very good audio CD which gave loads of useful info. Maybe he still does?

Phil Speight (member and also associated with Craftmaster Paints) also runs occasional short courses on boat painting (He is extremely highly regarded as a boat painter)

You could do a lot worse than attend one of his courses........

I would of thought perhaps that you would of perhaps been better of researching big end bearings/lack of white metal and lack of oil pressure/ water ingress from ill fitting skin fittings, and ballast issues, than painting an allready respectable looking boat. :cheers:

Edited by micky44

Its light hearted banter, I would of thought that you would of reconised that as you so frequently allegedly partake in it.

Saying that you will hold someone under water, whilst strangling them is a threat of violence.

I have never threatened anyone with violence, neither here nor anywhere else.

Edited by carlt

I have set a whole series of daft/threatening/abusive comments so that they cannot be seen.

Please read, mark, learn and inwardly digest the forum rules and guidelines. Ask yourselves "Is it nice?" and "Is it kind?" If your post is neither of these, please hit the cancel button. rolleyes.gif

All the best

NIck

Erm. Pick a nice dry and still day if painting outside and at this time of year don't apply the top gloss coat after say 1pm for fear of it blooming if it turns cold and a dew happens later. :mellow:

Thanks, Mr Bizzard. rolleyes.gif

Good night

N

I would of thought perhaps that you would of perhaps been better of researching big end bearings/lack of white metal and lack of oil pressure/ water ingress from ill fitting skin fittings, and ballast issues, than painting an allready respectable looking boat. :cheers:

No fear, I'll be doing all of that and more before I pick up a paint brush! Just wanted a heads up really.

Nick

Phil Speight (member and also associated with Craftmaster Paints) also runs occasional short courses on boat painting (He is extremely highly regarded as a boat painter)

You could do a lot worse than attend one of his courses........

Sounds great, any idea where I get more info on one of his courses please?

Don't, if you have no previous experience, underestimate what is involved!

There is a very good reason why professional outfits can charge £6,000 and upwards for a full "back to metal" boat repaint.

Doing it well yourself is probably harder, slower, work than you can imagine,even if you can find reasonable facility to do it under cover.

I'd say try to attempt it outside, and it becomes a whole order of magnitude harder.

We largely painted one of ours throughout in 2009, but it was over 3 weeks of very intensive effort, does not look like a "proper" professional repaint, and I can't claim it was ever truly "finished" before we started knocking it off again!

The consolation, of course, is it didn't cost £6K - had it of done, I think I would largely have stopped boating, because with the amount we do, it wouldn't have taken long to put a scrape down it!

We did ours and I think did a pretty good job. Everybody says so and its true that all the effort and most of the time is in the preparation (say 90% prep to 10% final painting). Putting the paint on with a roller and tipping off with a good brush worked for us. If you mess a bit up leave it DO NOT GO BACK. I'd say it's all but impossible to get a good finish in the open. The paint will go off too quickly or too slowly or you'll have bits, bugs, dust, leaves etc in it. You can save a shed load of money (if you don't cost your own time) and get a good or very good result but it takes time, research and care. Phil's CD gave us loads of help and I commend it to you. We used his paint too and think it's excellent. Good Luck.

We're still painting ours....two years after we bought it!

Most of the time outside, but took advantage of a week in a shed doing the blacking to at least get some major painting done in a decent environment.

Skills, materials and attributes required:

Patience (excess amounts)

Buy/use the best paint, brushes, rollers, professional masking tape, etc, you can afford.

Preparation, preparation, preparation!

Practice on a small, unimportant area first. My ability to get a decent finish improved immensely once I got the hang of it.

Only paint in the optimum or at least decent conditions, and keep an eye on the weather.

Use/search this forum (ignoring the uncivil wars that occasionally break out) as there's tons of useful information and a lot of people prepared to offer valuable advice.