Easter Boat Gathering 2012

allybsc

Featured Posts

...so who's going?

We were a little bit late getting there last year and had to tag on the end of a row of boats in a bit of an awkward spot, what's the best day to arrive?

*tumbleweed*

Shameless attempt to bump thread...are we going it alone at the port then over Easter?

sorry this year going to the h.b.o.c one down in droiwich one hope if trin open :unsure:

We go to EP at Easter for the HBOC boats, if everyone is going to Droitwich then so are we if we can get the time off work, I wish I knew so we could make a decision!

Would love to go if time permits.

I've carried out many an installation in Ellesmere Port over the years and never had the time whilst in business to attend. Now that retirement is here, there should be no excuse really.

Mike

Would love to go if time permits.

I've carried out many an installation in Ellesmere Port over the years and never had the time whilst in business to attend. Now that retirement is here, there should be no excuse really.

Mike

I loved it last year, you will have to come over and say hello...it would be lovely to put faces to names and the kettle is always on.

Edited by allybsc

...so who's going?

We were a little bit late getting there last year and had to tag on the end of a row of boats in a bit of an awkward spot, what's the best day to arrive?

Meet up Thursday evening at Tower Wharf Chester and then go in Friday morning in convoy is the normal way.

I am going with FMC Badger and Brian should be there with ALTON. Don't worry about the HNBOC (HNBC?) gathering at Droitwich abstracting numbers. There are plenty to go round. In 2010, with the competition of Coventry, we still managed 20 visiting boats.

George ex nb Alton retired

Meet up Thursday evening at Tower Wharf Chester and then go in Friday morning in convoy is the normal way.

I am going with FMC Badger and Brian should be there with ALTON. Don't worry about the HNBOC (HNBC?) gathering at Droitwich abstracting numbers. There are plenty to go round. In 2010, with the competition of Coventry, we still managed 20 visiting boats.

George ex nb Alton retired

Hello George,

Champion, sounds good to me, I'm really looking forward to it.

Showing of !!

because you have plenty of water up there. Lol

Col

Sorry :blush:

Yes, we plan to be in Chester with Alton on Thursday eve (if we put some long hours in) then to the Port for Easter. As George says there will still be a good turn out of old boats, there's enough to go round!

Cheers, Brian

Hello Brian, I remember seeing you there last year. I'm glad there's a few old boats going, it wouldn't be the same without them.

Also clashes with the Calf Heath banter, which is where I, and a lot of other CWDFers are heading this easter.

I didn't know there was a HBOC bash that weekend as well!

Hi Mike,

There's two HBOC bashes that weekend according to the calender, I'm not a member yet but I often look at the website...the other one is in Droitwich. Have a good time in Calf heath.

Edited by allybsc

Hi Mike,

There's two HBOC bashes that weekend according to the calender, I'm not a member yet but I often look at the website...the other one is in Droitwich. Have a good time in Calf heath.

I think technically that the Droitwich event is the official HNBC event, whereas the Ellesmere Easter Boat Gathering is a National Waterways Museum event that happens to attract a lot of HNBC members.

(Note: Just to clarify, the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club, has recently voted to rename itself the Historic Narrow Boat Club, so I guess we should drop the 'O' from any abbreviation.)

Hopefully though, for those attending neither, and voting instead for Dave and Jan's Calf Heath Banter, we may, (water restrictions permitting), still be able to have an historic boat present, as we are seriously looking at bringing "Sickle" up.

I think technically that the Droitwich event is the official HNBC event, whereas the Ellesmere Easter Boat Gathering is a National Waterways Museum event that happens to attract a lot of HNBC members.

(Note: Just to clarify, the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club, has recently voted to rename itself the Historic Narrow Boat Club, so I guess we should drop the 'O' from any abbreviation.)

Hopefully though, for those attending neither, and voting instead for Dave and Jan's Calf Heath Banter, we may, (water restrictions permitting), still be able to have an historic boat present, as we are seriously looking at bringing "Sickle" up.

I expect it will take a while to shed the "O"! I hope you do bring Sickle up, I'd love to see it.

We are going to Droitwich.

As Alan says, the historic boat gathering at Ellesmere Port isn't organised by HNBC, but as the vast majority of historic boat owners are members of HNBC there is a lot of overlap. The year before last HBOC organised a rally at Coventry for people who found the Port a bit too far away, and it was such a hit that is was agreed to have a HNBC Easter gathering to complement the Port one every other year. Droitwich was chosen to celebrate the re-opening of the Droitwich canals and to encourage people to use them.

We went to the Port last year and it was great but we are going to Droitwich this year because we've never been that way before, and hope to explore the Severn and Avon too.

We are going to Droitwich.

As Alan says, the historic boat gathering at Ellesmere Port isn't organised by HNBC, but as the vast majority of historic boat owners are members of HNBC there is a lot of overlap. The year before last HBOC organised a rally at Coventry for people who found the Port a bit too far away, and it was such a hit that is was agreed to have a HNBC Easter gathering to complement the Port one every other year. Droitwich was chosen to celebrate the re-opening of the Droitwich canals and to encourage people to use them.

We went to the Port last year and it was great but we are going to Droitwich this year because we've never been that way before, and hope to explore the Severn and Avon too.

I didn't know that, just saw it on the HNBC calender. Do you know if there will be a HNBC stall like last year? I was hoping to join at the port and I don't have a cheque book any more to post out the payment. I'm sorry your not coming would have been nice to have a natter x

Joe (BCN 108) and Ariel will be going to EP, so that brings the old boat tally up a bit :)

Excellent, look forward to meeting you.

We are taking Lindsay and Keppel to the Port. Anyone going down the Lift and the Ship Canal?

Brilliant, I'm so looking forward to it, I hope the weather is as good as last year.

I loved it last year, you will have to come over and say hello...it would be lovely to put faces to names and the kettle is always on.

Cheers,

we might just make the effort because we love a good brew of tea and love the old working boats too!

Mike

I'm giving the talk on Friday evening. They don't seem to ask me to do this when the HNB(O)C are in attendance as I talk about the history of all canals - wide canals, historic international ones, with only a little about the ditches in the Midlands. I will be looking at what canal heritage is this year, hoping to get the audience to discuss what we should be keeping and conserving. Photos of historic sites around the world first, before looking at this country and what I think is important here.

Cheers,

we might just make the effort because we love a good brew of tea and love the old working boats too!

Mike

We don't have an old working boat...just an old boat! One day perhaps! Give us a knock and we will brew up!

I'm giving the talk on Friday evening. They don't seem to ask me to do this when the HNB(O)C are in attendance as I talk about the history of all canals - wide canals, historic international ones, with only a little about the ditches in the Midlands. I will be looking at what canal heritage is this year, hoping to get the audience to discuss what we should be keeping and conserving. Photos of historic sites around the world first, before looking at this country and what I think is important here.

I'll try to get along to hear you, I love a talk.

We are taking Lindsay and Keppel to the Port. Anyone going down the Lift and the Ship Canal?

We (Ariel and BCN 108/Joe) are going via the Weaver / Ship Canal. I think we're going on the 4th April. Looking forward to the trip there and the weekend at EP.

I didn't know that, just saw it on the HNBC calender. Do you know if there will be a HNBC stall like last year? I was hoping to join at the port and I don't have a cheque book any more to post out the payment. I'm sorry your not coming would have been nice to have a natter x

The Shop is going to Droitwich, I don't know whether there will be official representation at EP.

I'm sure that if you contact David Daines he will find some way to take your money :)

The Shop is going to Droitwich, I don't know whether there will be official representation at EP.

I'm sure that if you contact David Daines he will find some way to take your money :)

Thanks I will, I wonder if I could send it via paypal?

That'll be two then, as Reginald will almost certainly be there too. I say 'almost' because Reginald seems especially good at mechanical failures.