The Historic Narrow Boat Club

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

What's the old saying - 'ask not what your club can do for you, but what you can do for your club'? I think that might have been pinched by some colonial president. Despite not being actively involved, I'm happy to continue subscriptions, and still enjoy the journal albeit only quarterly. Yes, NBOC - I still have the brass plaque, and I'm keeping it. They've had their ups and downs, but so has every club that's ever been in existence. Hopefully a greater membership will help sway C&RT policy towards one capable of supporting the deeper draughted vessels and consideration of historic infrastucture - what's left of it.

PEARL was an iron composite motor which was converted to a house boat by Mr Bush. PEARL started its life as the steamer BARON in the fleet of Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. and it was a subsequent commercial operator who intermittently named it PEARL and PAUL. Now unconverted and renamed BARON this boat can usually be seen in the Denham area of the southern Grand Union Canal.

This I believe is "Pearl", although I am happy to be corrected if my memory is wrong. If so, I believe it is working with "Capella"

Copyright Mike Fincher.

Blackandwhites011.jpg

I think I'm right in saying that the Club was originally known as the Narrow Boat Owners' Club and that the "Historic" tag was added when NABO was formed. May have got this wrong, though.

Not sure it had anything specifically to do with NABO.

When the club was founded most non-working canal boaters were boating in river cruisers, converted ships' lifeboats, ex-army pontoons and the like, and only a minority of pleasure boaters used ex-working narrow boats. So it was perfectly reasonable to name their new club the Narrow Boat Owners Club.

With the passage of time, the 'standard' cruising boat evolved into purpose-built 7ft beam canal cruisers - first plywood then fibreglass, and only later did steel hulled cruisers loosely based on the shape of working narrow boats start to be used. By the 80s these craft had become the norm on mosts of the system under the term 'narrowboat'. NBOC was getting complaints from modern narrowboat owners who weren't able to join 'their' owners club, and so the name was changed to reflect the actual purpose of the club.

David

There's some extremely beardy rain man rivet counters who live with their mums in that club, they make train spotters look normal !

If you want to argue the exact length of a mop then this is the " special" club for you.

Being both a railway enthusiast (ex trainspotter) and a historic narrowboat owner and enthusiast (I am not a member of HNBOC) I find your post downright insulting. Without some of the hard working researchers who contribute to this site and others a lot of canal history would remain undiscovered. If you feel that way about the people that run historic boats and research / archive the material, this forum and indeed the waterways may not be a place for you to be.

Edited by Laurence Hogg
  • Greenie 1

For want of some entertainment, some find pleasure in winding others up. Usually in a field that is quite incomprehensible to them, even threatening to some degree, either socially or practically. They will neither understand, or want to.

There's value in rivet counting, it allows some indication of past changes. But to use such as an insult, along with other personal details chosen by some through choice or circumstance, shows the shallowness of the poster. Best ignored.

I didn't really describe anyone. I'm not sure if you are mixing me (the OP/original poster) up with Onion Bargee who says we are all rivet-counters called Nigel who live our mums! I agree it was a really good meeting and wish we could have stayed longer!

Apologies - you are of course quite right.

This I believe is "Pearl", although I am happy to be corrected if my memory is wrong. If so, I believe it is working with "Capella"

Certainly looks like CAPELLA, and the boat I viewed in Aylesbury when seeking a craft to live aboard. I recall CAPELLA had signwritten 'B. Bush, boat decoration' or some such on the cabin side when moored on the towpath in AY. PEARL was in the basin, and kitted out like a hotel boat with many small cabins off one long side corridor. There was a three pot Bolinder in the back end - I think where the back cabin once was. The whole plot needed much work, and beyond my reach. That would have been either late '79 or early '80.

It was Beryl from POYLE (?) who was the welcoming 'committee' at that time, and a pleasant welcome it was.

Some foam in that shot - River Soar?

It was Beryl from POYLE (?) who was the welcoming 'committee' at that time, and a pleasant welcome it was.

Poyle, like Pearl (the wooden one), is an ex Claytons tar boat, built as a butty by Nursers with an interesting counter stern conversion.

Don't know for certain - it's my brother's picture.

My guess would have been possibly "Top Winkwell", photographed from the road bridge, (where Parglena now moors), but I could be wrong.....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=winkwell&hl=en&ll=51.747686,-0.525128&spn=0.000531,0.00142&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=16.628174,46.538086&hnear=Winkwell,+Hemel+Hempstead+HP1+2RZ,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=51.747686,-0.525128&panoid=HBpoJYYis7XNLI11W7M13g&cbp=12,110.13,,1,8.16

I think that, because you regularly used to get fam like that in that lock as a result of the sewage works discharging it into the pound above.

Just noticed the new logo. That was quick off the mark! I wonder if the old brass plaques (NBOC) will become collectors' items. I think I'm right in saying that the Club was originally known as the Narrow Boat Owners' Club and that the "Historic" tag was added when NABO was formed. May have got this wrong, though.

It's good to see that the membership will now be open to all who have an interest in old boats.

This isn't the officially approved new logo yet! That is still going backwards and forwards but I think is going to end up looking very much like what Black Ibis posted.

This isn't the officially approved new logo yet! That is still going backwards and forwards but I think is going to end up looking very much like what Black Ibis posted.

A bit like CaRT then ?

If someone is prepared to do you one at no cost, that's the one to use?

A bit like CaRT then ?

Mine's not nearly good enough quality to use anywhere except very small scale on a website (the low quality version is all that's available online). Although given a better quality starting point I'd be happy to make the new logo.

Certainly looks like CAPELLA, and the boat I viewed in Aylesbury when seeking a craft to live aboard. I recall CAPELLA had signwritten 'B. Bush, boat decoration' or some such on the cabin side when moored on the towpath in AY. PEARL was in the basin, and kitted out like a hotel boat with many small cabins off one long side corridor. There was a three pot Bolinder in the back end - I think where the back cabin once was. The whole plot needed much work, and beyond my reach. That would have been either late '79 or early '80.

The butty is Capella, it was a really nice paint job and Bob brought it to Walsall in around 1972 to a rally held on the arm, I have some colour slides from the day inc Capella.

A bit like CaRT then ?

Someone is doing us one for no cost! But it has to be approved by committee round robin, which is what takes the time.

Yes, In 1966. If I remember correctly the first chainrman was "Binky" Bush who had the wooden Narrowboat Pearl moored at Aylesbury. I was crew member of the narrowboat Pisces at the time and our club was a founder member.

You are correct in that. I joined in early 1966 & Binkie was the driving force in getting it up & running, so they made him chairman, I think he was retired so had more time than most other members, & it was called in those days Narrow Boat Owners Club. I had left the canal system before the Historic bit was added

Copyright Mike Fincher.

Blackandwhites011.jpg

IIRC Binkie bought a butty [Can`t remember type or name ] for his son who was going to set up a boat painting & sign writing business I dont know if it was a success or other wise but it would tie in with Derek R`s post

IIRC Binkie bought a butty [Can`t remember type or name ] for his son who was going to set up a boat painting & sign writing business I dont know if it was a success or other wise but it would tie in with Derek R`s post

Yes,

I know Capella was certainly well presented, and sign-written something like "Bob Bush - Canal Painter - Aylesbury".

I'm now totally certain that the photo is of Pearl & Capella, and shot near Winkwell,(by my brother), in the early 1970s.

Trevor Maggs told us recently he looked at buying Capella - Corona & Capella sound like they go rather well together!

Was Capella the butty that was set to replace Belmont on the Blue Line fleet, had their contract for the Jam 'Ole not ended, or am I thinking of the wrong boat ?

What about the T.C.O. tar boat?

All a part of the confusion when 'historic' boats have / had the same names.

Mr Bush purchased his PEARL from W. Cresswell & Son, Oldbury in 1964 and it was occupied as a house boat shortly afterwards. The Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. wooden motor PEARL was not sold until 1966, and was certainly still unconverted in August 1967 - one year after the formation of the Narrow Boat Owners Club.

Blackandwhites011.jpg

The late Bob Bush can be seen steering PEARL in the above photograph.

PEARL was in the basin, and kitted out like a hotel boat with many small cabins off one long side corridor. There was a three pot Bolinder in the back end - I think where the back cabin once was.

The Bolinder 1053BR was fitted into PEARL in about 1960 by W. Cresswell & Son, Oldbury. This engine was supplied new to W. Cresswell & Son on 04 June 1956 and was first fitted in their wooden tug CORONATION.

All a part of the confusion when 'historic' boats have / had the same names.

Mr Bush purchased his PEARL from W. Cresswell & Son, Oldbury in 1964 and it was occupied as a house boat shortly afterwards. The Thomas Clayton (Oldbury) Ltd. wooden motor PEARL was not sold until 1966, and was certainly still unconverted in August 1967 - one year after the formation of the Narrow Boat Owners Club.

The late Bob Bush can be seen steering PEARL in the above photograph.

The Bolinder 1053BR was fitted into PEARL in about 1960 by W. Cresswell & Son, Oldbury. This engine was supplied new to W. Cresswell & Son on 04 June 1956 and was first fitted in their wooden tug CORONATION.

I may have allowed my memory to decieve me over the hull construction of Pearl, but I certainly remember the Bolinder. Binky claimed that it was the most powerful engine fitted to a working boat at the time, and at the Leicester (I think) IWA Rally, he challenged any other Narrowboat to a tug of War. Unfortunately he had not reckoned with the V4 Turner in Pisces, we accepted his challenge and pulled Pearl the length of the rally, He was always a liittle less boastful about his engine after that incident.

I have a photo of Pisces engaged in a tug of war (sent to me by another forum member) and had assumed that it was Pearl, but it clearly isn't, as the boat we are breasted to (in reverse) is definiterly a wooden one. I can remember Dennis, our captain, saying that we would pull the stud out of the foredeck on our challenger's boat, which is presumably why we breasted up.

Edited by David Schweizer

No, I think you are correct. It just reminded me of this:

1047aGeneral036.jpg

River Soar (somewhere!)

By the bollards being right on the lockside this is the rebuilt Kegworth Deep Lock - below the bollards are tensioned wires for passing lines round for holding the boat steady whilst the lock fills. I think that this is the only lock on the Soar which has them.

I may have allowed my memory to decieve me over the hull construction of Pearl, but I certainly remember the Bolinder. Binky claimed that it was the most powerful engine fitted to a working boat at the time, and at the Leicester (I think) IWA Rally, he challenged any other Narrowboat to a tug of War. Unfortunately he had not reckoned with the V4 Turner in Pisces, we accepted his challenge and pulled Pearl the length of the rally, He was always a liittle less boastful about his engine after that incident.

I have a photo of Pisces engaged in a tug of war (sent to me by another forum member) and had assumed that it was Pearl, but it clearly isn't, as the boat we are breasted to (in reverse) is definiterly a wooden one. I can remember Dennis, our captain, saying that we would pull the stud out of the foredeck on our challenger's boat, which is presumably why we breasted up.

Maybe it was Dereck Turners [the Wheaton Aston garage guys] boat FOX as he was moored near at the time[ I was moored on the towpath with Lily & Pisces was breasted up] IIRC that Turner was powerful, only trouble when it was wound on you couldn`t see anything for smoke[ I think I sent you slides with Smoke in progress

Maybe it was Dereck Turners [the Wheaton Aston garage guys] boat FOX as he was moored near at the time[ I was moored on the towpath with Lily & Pisces was breasted up] IIRC that Turner was powerful, only trouble when it was wound on you couldn`t see anything for smoke[ I think I sent you slides with Smoke in progress

Yes you did send me a couple of Photos Alan, and there is some smoke, but visiblity is not impaired, perhaps you have some others that I have not seen. Would it be OK to post the photo you sent me on here?

Edited by David Schweizer