The Historic Narrow Boat Club

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Yes you did send me a couple of Photos Alan, and there is some smoke, but visiblity is not impaired, perhaps you have some others that I have not seen. Would it be OK to post the photo you sent me on here?

Not a problem at all I still have some copies & as there is nothing scandalous on them feel free, it`s so long ago I have to engage brain to remember what it was like.

By the bollards being right on the lockside this is the rebuilt Kegworth Deep Lock - below the bollards are tensioned wires for passing lines round for holding the boat steady whilst the lock fills. I think that this is the only lock on the Soar which has them.

Agreed.... :cheers:

Not a problem at all I still have some copies & as there is nothing scandalous on them feel free, it`s so long ago I have to engage brain to remember what it was like.

Here we are then, a Photo of Pisces pulling Fox (?) backwards (well forwards actually) at the 1967 Leicester IWA Rally :-

Leicester196702.jpg

And no, I am not in the Photo, The Steerer(captain) is Dennis Papworth, The disgusting Shorts are being worn by Mike Day, and the chap sitting on the roof is (I think) Chris (surname forgotten). The other photo of Pisces sent to me by Alan has got me in it, and it is staying private

Edited by David Schweizer

There is of course the story of Binky Bush getting stuck with Pearl in Preston Brook tunnell After a head on with the trip boat!

On the beardy weirdy point as a child the working boat fraternity seemed to have more than the average and I could name names but that probably wouldn't be fair. There is also nothing wrong with rivet counting. Most of my interest now lies with traction engines and if it wasn't for the rivet countes a lot more of our heritage would have been irreversiblly chopped and changed. The HNBC could do worse than encourage members to pay more attention to the retention of original construction details as do many other areas of preservation.

John

Here we are then, a Photo of Pisces pulling Fox (?) backwards (well forwards actually) at the 1967 Leicester IWA Rally :-

Leicester196702.jpg

Also plenty of counter in the air as well! Goes to show how much shallower some canals often were in those days - either that or fewer stupid boaters causing emergency stops every other bridge 'ole!!

Cheers,

Mike

Also plenty of counter in the air as well! Goes to show how much shallower some canals often were in those days - either that or fewer stupid boaters causing emergency stops every other bridge 'ole!!

Cheers,

Mike

But we were on the river Soar at the time. I think you will fnd that the raised counter was because of the power being put on in reverse, during the Tug of War.

:help:

Why Help?

Leicester196702.jpg

And no, I am not in the Photo, The Steerer(captain) is Dennis Papworth, The disgusting Shorts are being worn by Mike Day, and the chap sitting on the roof is (I think) Chris (surname forgotten). The other photo of Pisces sent to me by Alan has got me in it, and it is staying private

What is the silver (?) thing forward of 'Chris' on the cabin top? its the wrong era and a difficult location for a graffiti 'tag' on the factory wall - not that I have any experience !

Why Help?

Because, I scrolled down the page, (having got in from a hard day at work) and got an eyeful of those shorts - it was only after I calmed the palpitations that I scrolled down further and saw the rest of your post.

Did people really wear things like that? I'm horrified. :P

I didn't get where I am today without recognising a pram chassis when I see one, but it's on the top of the wooden(?) boat breasted up alongside PISCES - a Ricky?

More to the point (if there is one) what is that behind the chap sitting on the cabin top - a giant bucket?

PS: Is that an early club burgee - which?

Edited by Derek R.

Several Questions that I will attempt to answer. The silver thing is what appears to be a pram chassis on the roof of Fox, which is ahead of the wheels of a bike on the roof of Pisces. The giant bucket thing is in fact a fake funnel, inside which the calor gas bottle was stored. Apparently the person in Charge of The BW fleet of water buses (which is what Pisces had been before it was aquired by us) disliked gas on board and had the funnel welded to the roof, in order to store the gas outside the cabin.

The funnel was a constant source of derision by the working boatmen who, with some justification, seemed to enjoy ridiculing it. After we nearly got stuck under the bridge at Gravelly Hill (see picture below) we decided it had to go and it was cut off, with a new Gas locker being cut into the cabin side.

img068-1.jpg

That is me at the back steering (in the white shirt)

Because, I scrolled down the page, (having got in from a hard day at work) and got an eyeful of those shorts - it was only after I calmed the palpitations that I scrolled down further and saw the rest of your post.

Did people really wear things like that? I'm horrified. :P

Not Normal People, only Mike.