Are the Yorkshire canals connected to all others?

Robert & Liz

Featured Posts

I have read in "Canals of Britain", that the maximum size boat that will fit in the Yorkshire canals is 56 ft. Is this the case. 56ft - or will a 58ft, or even a 60 ft fit?

Also, are the Yorkshire canals part of the main systems, reachable from the canals of the areas?

thanks

Robert&Liz

I think the length limit is 60ft. There are a couple of canals which are officially listed as 57ft6in (Calder and Hebble and Huddersfield broad) but they are broad canals so you can lock diagonally, provided you are only one boat in the lock.

The Aire and Calder does link up with the rest of the canal network, it and the South Yorkshire Navigation are huge and feel very different from most British canals, so is worth checking out (it's nice to be able to wind wherever you want). Overall to reach the "Northern" canals you have to go through one of two bottlenecks, either through Manchester (at least a couple of routes through) or along the River Trent.

You also need special permission to use Yorkshire canals especially if you are a southerner. If you are from Lancashire you may find problems at passport control since I do not think peace has been officially declared.

We hope to have no problems when we explore since I am a half breed, part Yorkshire part Surrey. Strangely then, not a very good cricketer though.

You also need special permission to use Yorkshire canals especially if you are a southerner. If you are from Lancashire you may find problems at passport control since I do not think peace has been officially declared.

We hope to have no problems when we explore since I am a half breed, part Yorkshire part Surrey. Strangely then, not a very good cricketer though.

Although it's easy to find a Yorkshire boater heading back home who can smuggle you and your boat in with them. B) Once here you can save the money you spend on beer and send it back to the family you left behind, just remember not to comment about the Guinnessy head on your beer. :cheers:

We moved "up north" about ten years ago for work reasons. We took the boat up the Trent to Keadby and found moorings on the Stainforth and Keadby canal. It's a great place to be - generally less congested than the midlands, but some fabulous pennine scenery to enjoy.

I have read in "Canals of Britain", that the maximum size boat that will fit in the Yorkshire canals is 56 ft. Is this the case. 56ft - or will a 58ft, or even a 60 ft fit?

Also, are the Yorkshire canals part of the main systems, reachable from the canals of the areas?

thanks

Robert&Liz

The Yorkshire canals are indeed connected to the main system and if you want to know more about them there is Martin Clark's (a cwdf member) excellent Pennines Waterways web site here -

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/

The dimensions thing is covered here -

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/locks.htm

Didn't realise these two counties actually played at Cricket.

Martyn. (From Lancashire, living in Hampshire.):cheers:

Edited by Nightwatch

Shh you lot. :angry:

The Yorkshire waterways, and the rest of the Northern waterways for that matter, are grim places which should be avoided at all costs.

Southerners should also be aware of the difference in climate and bring some extra woolies, for the mild summers....(that should deter most of them)

This man should be Boycotted!

I'd never heard of Hampshire - - and a friend said I should Googly it

I have to admit, I was bowled over with the response

It didn't say they don't play cricket in Hampshire

It said - "they can't?"

Shirley - that can't be right?

I'd never heard of Hampshire - - and a friend said I should Googly it

I have to admit, I was bowled over with the response

It didn't say they don't play cricket in Hampshire

It said - "they can't?"

Shirley - that can't be right?

Hampshire? - that gween thing Daddy owns :rolleyes:

Shh you lot. :angry:

The Yorkshire waterways, and the rest of the Northern waterways for that matter, are grim places which should be avoided at all costs.

Yeah, theres No water, the pubs are expensive and York is ugly and theres no scenery to speak of.........best you all stay aground on a southern ditch....... :rolleyes:

Martyn, I have googled and wicki-ed it and indeed they do 'play' at cricket.

However, unlike our lot from the proper side of the Pennines, they don't 'win' at cricket.

from Lancashire, living in Leics.,Derbys.,Notts. at the moment.

Yeah, theres No water, the pubs are expensive and York is ugly and theres no scenery to speak of.........best you all stay aground on a southern ditch....... :rolleyes:

....the fish & chips are awful, local brews like Black Sheep Ale are undrinkable, the people are taciturn and unwelcoming, you can pick up painful maladies like Penistone, best stay put down South.

....the fish & chips are awful, local brews like Black Sheep Ale are undrinkable, the people are taciturn and unwelcoming, you can pick up painful maladies like Penistone, best stay put down South.

My favourite Yorkshire place name is Nether Thong.

The mandatory whippet and ferret get a little annoying after a while.....

The reason southern waterways have such distinct features are to help boatowners survive and to protect themselves from endless health and safety based decisions.

A] Narrow canals so as not to get lost.. by only being able to go in one direction and not winding which would cause confusion and disorient the easily confused.

B] Shallow canals as they seem to have a propensity for falling in.

C] Overcrowding almost everwhere so as to maintain the usual congestion felt whilst going about daily life.

D] Inflated pricing on every essential item to create delusions of grandeur and oneupmanship as is required when looking down ones nose at those who just nod their head and get on with life. :lol:

Edited by soldthehouse
  • Greenie 3

The mandatory whippet and ferret get a little annoying after a while.....

Aye, and t'row them bluddy pigeons make. Folk tried to get rid on 'em, but t'boogers kept coming back.

The reason southern waterways have such distinct features are to help boatowners survive and to protect themselves from endless health and safety based decisions.

A] Narrow canals so as not to get lost.. by only being able to go in one direction and not winding which would cause confusion and disorient the easily confused.

C] Overcrowding almost everwhere so as to maintain the usual congestion felt whilst going about daily life.

D] Inflated pricing on every essential item to create delusions of grandeur and oneupmanship as is required when looking down ones nose at those who just nod their head and get on with life. :lol:

:lol:

EXCELLENT

I thinks we're still making it sound too appealing.

Everyone up here smokes, is regularly on Jeremy Kyle and always fighting shandy drinking southerners on a Friday night at closing time...not to mention shell suits and fiddling benefits!