Stoke to Gloucester

lesrollins

Featured Posts

Hi as you can see by the wanted ads we have been looking for a 60ft - 70ft narrowboat. We have now found a boat which is 70ft and are going to put a deposit down on monday.

What I would like to know is how long will it take me to get from Stoke to Gloucester and are there any awkard parts, any stoppages etc. We should be travelling the first/second week of March. Thanks

Hi as you can see by the wanted ads we have been looking for a 60ft - 70ft narrowboat. We have now found a boat which is 70ft and are going to put a deposit down on monday.

What I would like to know is how long will it take me to get from Stoke to Gloucester and are there any awkard parts, any stoppages etc. We should be travelling the first/second week of March. Thanks

Go onto canal route planner. Just enter you start and finish points then also check the stoppages just to make sure.

Two obvious routes with one hybrid

Both start by following the Trent ad Mersey from Stoke down the locks through Stone to Great Haywood

Then either

Staffs and Worcs Great Haywood to Stourport, and down the Severn to Gloucester

OR

Carry on along the Trent and Mersey to Fradley, then take the Coventry Canal to Fazeley, the Birmingham and Fazeley canal to central Birmingham and the Worcester and Birmingham to Worcester, at which point you join the Severn

The hybrid is to take the Staff and Worcs to Aldersley/wolverhampton, the Birmingham Canal Main Line to central Birmingham, and then the Worcester and Birmingham

The Stratford Canal and the Avon River is the third route to the Severn (there are only three) but this incurs and extra licence

To combine a reasonably swift passage with excellent scenery the first suggestion is recommended, but check stoppages, it may not be open. The others are all routes I have enjoyed.

Bear in mind the Severn Locks will be on winter opening hours, look at the waterscape website

and remember, rivers flood and websites can't predict this

CanalPlan is the place to get the timings from.

Having just tried putting you route in, looks like canalplan now has the stoppages list and shows the stoppages on route and an option to plan round them, great stuff!

Depending on your settings and length of days, something like 7/8 days, going the straight Staffs and Worcester route.

CanalPlan is the place to get the timings from.

Having just tried putting you route in, looks like canalplan now has the stoppages list and shows the stoppages on route and an option to plan round them, great stuff!

Its not got them all in - it's getting the daily stoppage emails from BW and processing them at a very high level at the moment - but the next stage is to get it so its a lot more detailed... will probably discuss some of that with Nick tomorrow in Market Drayton... if we can get the boat back from Norbury!

Steve

Its not got them all in - it's getting the daily stoppage emails from BW and processing them at a very high level at the moment - but the next stage is to get it so its a lot more detailed... will probably discuss some of that with Nick tomorrow in Market Drayton... if we can get the boat back from Norbury!

Steve

Thanks for the info. It's a great enhancement, keep up the good work!

Bear in mind the Severn Locks will be on winter opening hours, look at the waterscape website

Yes, you will need to book the locks on the Severn at least 24 hours before. Ring glos lock.

Also the locks are open only between Thursday to Monday.

I'm heading up to Worcester 9/10th March!

two questions how experienced are you and how long each day are you prepared to work? using a bike and runner or two can shoot you through locks faster.

This is our first narrowboat nothing like feet first, so experience no. There will be the wife, myself and the dog. I will be booking two weeks off work from when we pick the boat up, hopefully that will give us enough time without rushing. Apart from a windlass are there any other keys I might need for the locks ?

Edited by lesrollins

Make sure you have safety equipment for the river. Anchor/chain/rope and a strong point to attach it. Buoyancy aids for all crew. Working mobile phone. Also check the engine well, the river isn't the place to find out that it's not reliable.

If the river is high, you will have to wait.

Richard

Apart from a windlass are there any other keys I might need for the locks?

You may also need an anti-vandal key - you certainly will if you go up the Wolverhampton flight and through Birmingham. This key undoes the lock mechanisms where they have to be kept locked to stop some bright spark opening the paddles and draining the flight and/or pounds.

If you're doing this for the first time, you might consider taking you first day to get some boat handling training. It can make all the difference to your confidence, safety and enjoyment, especially if you are going on the Severn.

Thanks for the information, we are going up tomorrow then dropping a deposit down on monday. I will check the boat to see what equipments on there and if I need anything I will make sure I have got it before I start off.

The engine as only done 600 hours or so but I was going to get the brokerage to change all the oil,filters and check the belts before I started off. The boat as been for sale for 12 months and is sitting out of the water on blocks at the moment and I am a bit of a stick in the mud where oil and filters are concerned. Even when I had a bike and it hadn,t done the reccomended miles for an oil change it was always changed before it went out the next year. If there is anything else you think I might need to know just say. Cheers

If there is anything else you think I might need to know just say. Cheers

I would recommend wearing life jackets on the river.

Another thing to check is your weed hatch. Make sure it is well secured.

In the river locks you will need to loop your front and rear ropes around the vertical cables, just to stop the boat banging around. This isn't easy to do, especially first time out. But just take your time and don't rush it. The lock keeper will understand.

Have waterproof jacket and leggings close to hand, make sure shoes or boots are strong and non slip!

Deposit paid, looked over the boat again but no anchor so I will get one before I travel down to Gloucester. Hopefully going to be travelling by 3rd March and we can,t wait. Just a little bit wary of the river severn are there any bad places to watch for ? Cheers

Deposit paid, looked over the boat again but no anchor so I will get one before I travel down to Gloucester. Hopefully going to be travelling by 3rd March and we can,t wait. Just a little bit wary of the river severn are there any bad places to watch for ? Cheers

The Severn is pretty straightforward, but be aware that there are a limited number of places where you can reach the bank to moor. The lock keepers on the Severn are full of good advice; listen to them. The lock-keeper at Upper Lode (below Tewkesbury) will give you tips about your approach to Gloucester. Make sure you contact the Gloucester lock-keeper before you arrive (mobile phone will do if you don't have radio, and the number is shown on huge notices beside the river) so that he can have the lock ready for you - but if you have to wait for the lock you need to hold on to the chains on the wall on the left before the lock (there are signs there so you can't miss them); hang on from the STERN because if you try to hang on with the bow line the current will swing you right round.

Have a good look at a map of the Severn to and where the weirs are. I nearly missed one as it wasn't sign posted or very well sign posted anyway. Don't go on the river without an anchor and when you do find one make sure it's tied on to something. ;) I would offer you mine but we might heading up the river sometime soon so will need it. The Severn is lovely on a good day but check when the spring tides are as I can tell you from experience that coming down the Severn on a high tide is scary. I think the next high one is March.

It's usually very tranquil and easy!

Look out for the lock signs, they are pretty clear. At the entrance to each lock is a pontoon which you can moor on if the lights are red. Just wait there until you get a green. These are out of the river channel so no current.

At the Upper Parting, which is where the river divides just north of Gloucester, you must take the left/east channel. Also you must phone glos lock from there. The number is on a big board at the parting.

When you arrive at Glos there is a long stone wall on your left. You will have to wait there if the lock light is red. The way to secure yourself is you loop stern (first) then bow ropes round the chains attached to the wall. Approach slowly, and have crew ready at the bow with rope.

Only other thing I can think of is a concrete slip way at the Lower Lode pub, just south of the Upper Lode lock near the junction with R Avon. I once grounded the boat on it!

If you're in trouble there are several places/pubs you can moor and stay a while.

Rob

ETA sorry for repeating some stuff from keeping up, which I missed (no excuses!)

Edited by keble

The pubs sound a good place to be. Only one problem, the wife as said no drinking on the boat, I,ve got to do the washing up for the next 30yrs because she has done it for the last 31yrs and i,ve got to loose weight. Tea total, anorexic and domesticated am I doing the right thing ? :lol: