How to make you boat stink

Chickadee

Featured Posts

We have on occation got a whole soft cheese from the cheese shop near my work. We've left them on the stove for a while then enjoyed dipping garlic bread and veggies into it.

Today we had a nice camembert in a little box. I'd left it on the stove for a while but it was still not quite soft enough so I moved it to the back of the stove where it's a bit warmer but put it on a trivit to stop it getting to hot... Or so I thought!

I went to chop the veg then suddenly heard sizzling! Argh! The box had split sending melted cheese all over the top of the stove!

We've cleaned up everywhere, the dog enjoyed helping getting the bits it dropped on the way to the kitchen side but I think this stentch of melted cheese is going to be around for a long while yet!

Lesson learned atleast put a plate under the wheel of cheese next time!

We have on occation got a whole soft cheese from the cheese shop near my work. We've left them on the stove for a while then enjoyed dipping garlic bread and veggies into it.

Today we had a nice camembert in a little box. I'd left it on the stove for a while but it was still not quite soft enough so I moved it to the back of the stove where it's a bit warmer but put it on a trivit to stop it getting to hot... Or so I thought!

I went to chop the veg then suddenly heard sizzling! Argh! The box had split sending melted cheese all over the top of the stove!

We've cleaned up everywhere, the dog enjoyed helping getting the bits it dropped on the way to the kitchen side but I think this stentch of melted cheese is going to be around for a long while yet!

If you drip some Formaldahyde on the cheese it will turn into Bakelite plastic.

Think I'd put a piece of toast under it. Instant snack! And the dog wouldn't get a look in. :rolleyes:

If you drip some Formaldahyde on the cheese it will turn into Bakelite plastic.

That means the cheese has Phenol in it - has it really?!!!

I remember making Bakelite in the school lab, great fun but horrible fumes!

Richard

That means the cheese has Phenol in it - has it really?!!!

I remember making Bakelite in the school lab, great fun but horrible fumes!

Richard

Yes it reacts with the calories.It was discovered accidentally by a scientist that took bread and cheese into his lab for lunch and accidentally spilt the formaldahyde on it,he got a surprise at lunch time as his cheese had turned into a solid what they called Bakelite.

Haha brilliant!

All the cheese has now left the boat but it still smells so bad. I think my work mates are going to wonder why I stink tomorrow lol. Might have to hang my work clothes out under the cratch.

That's grate!

is that my coat?

Yes it reacts with the calories.It was discovered accidentally by a scientist that took bread and cheese into his lab for lunch and accidentally spilt the formaldahyde on it,he got a surprise at lunch time as his cheese had turned into a solid what they called Bakelite.

A slightly more believable version, albeit less fun, but with no mention of cheese:-

http://portal.acs.org/portal/acs/corg/content?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PP_ARTICLEMAIN&node_id=924&content_id=WPCP_007586&use_sec=true&sec_url_var=region1&__uuid=478d9da6-3d6e-43c7-be06-1a782ba835a6#P36_6861

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Yes well i've just fished the book out from which i quoted the extract,it goes. Can't find any dates.

Although chemists were well aware that formaldehyde possessed this property of toughening protein-it will make animal tissue as hard as leather-the discovery of its action on casein is said to have been accidental.The story goes that a research chemist one night took bread and cheese to his laboritory to sustain him while working out an experiment.He had the misfortune (as he thought)to spill some formalin over his supper,and being too preoccupied to throw it away he let it stay where it was.When,hours later,the time came to clear up,he found that the cheese had become as hard as a bone. On taking a bite on it he broke his false teeth-(my addition).

From my book--''Everyday things and their story''.This book is old,how old i don't know,can't find a date in it but the fluorescent light tube had just been invented.

Ps the book must be pre WW2.

Edited by bizzard

This may seem a simple question, but why did you put the cheese on the stove, if it is not soft enough to eat, it is not yet matured and should be kept in a cool environment until it has ripened. My father, who loved his Camembert, was known to keep it in the larder for weeks until it was ripe enough to eat, although in the summer it was often relegated to the shed by my mother who did not like the smell!

This may seem a simple question, but why did you put the cheese on the stove, if it is not soft enough to eat, it is not yet matured and should be kept in a cool environment until it has ripened. My father, who loved his Camembert, was known to keep it in the larder for weeks until it was ripe enough to eat, although in the summer it was often relegated to the shed by my mother who did not like the smell!

Here speaks someone who has never dipped a bit of crusty bread through the crust of a baked Camembert...

Stick some garlic in a warm oven for about 20 minutes; don't do anything to it. In the meantime prick the camembert with a fork and sprinkle with white wine, so it soaks in... When the garlic's mushy spread it over the cheese and put the lot back in the oven; turning it up for 10 minutes.

If you leave it for 15 minutes you can drink it, but after 10 you can dip bread in and make your tongue dance!

Otherwise; plonk a Camembert of yer fire for 10 or 15 then dip it; it's nearly as good! ;)